Internet issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. So this is like week 2 or 3 that my internet has been down on my computer and I'm [censored]! I paid a computer repair company to fix a couple error messages so I could log onto it and they said the internet isn't working either so we fixed that too, but bring it back if i have problems.

Since I assumed they fixed the internet I called my internet provider and they said we are detecting a problem with the equipment. They endded up detect8ng a problem with the cable line and I had to wait another week to schedule that because they couldn't do that that day. I'm mainly venting here, so long story longer, I have a new cable line with a comput3r that still doesn't have internet because basically that was probably the issue all along even through they said the cable line had a fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I need to go back to yelling and screaming at people. This being nice and patient thing doesn't seem to help the situation much. Btw I'm posting this on my phone, sorry for the typos. Also I do realize that I should have just taken it back to the computer place to begin with. I'm just super frustrated with my own stupidity sometimes and pretty much the whole situation here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Telephone utilities, they're all the same.

As a bud of mine once told, he was at the insurance agency trying to squeeze a fair deal for a total loss accident, not at fault ...

"They've got you bent over the desk, your pants are down by your ankles, what do you think happens next?"

Same thing.

I'm lucky, we have a good utility here compared to what most people have to put up with in Canada (I'm getting fibre to the home this spring as soon as the ground thaws enough to trench 8" deep, no charge, I'll be able to drop my monthly rate $C 20 /$US 16 to $US 35 and double the bandwidth to 10Gb/s), but a good telephone / internet company would still be your worst nightmare in any other industry.

They said my computer is still good, just needs a little more ram. Mine has 4 gigs and it seems most need atleast 8 now.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
They said my computer is still good, just needs a little more ram. Mine has 4 gigs and it seems most need atleast 8 now.

you don't need more memory (RAM) to access the internet. 4gigs is plenty. If you're connected via a cable modem, your only connection is an ethernet (wired) connection. It could be wireless but chances are it's a wired connection. There isn't much tweaking required to get online. The ethernet port on your computer either works or it doesn't. Yes I know (for others who read this) that drivers can be a problem. But most everything is standardized today and just works with plain drivers (for the most part)

yeah a cable line fault would make sense and that is something the cable company CAN detect if they actually know how to read the signal levels, and know what they mean.

my point to you motor_oil_madman, get angry with the cable company put a fire under them to make them fix it. They don't want to because they have to pay for the repairs, that eats into their bottom line. boo-hoo.. just keep on them to get that line repaired.

and I wouldn't believe that computer repair store you went to, you do not need 8 gigs just to access the internet. Just wanted you to know that since they've gotten you all worried the computer is to blame. Dont spend any more $$$ get on the cable company to fix their junk..
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Have you priced out a basic, new, decent computer vs repairing the old one?

Even an outdated computer should connect to the internet.4 gig of ram is plenty.He should access his cable modems page at 192.168.100.1 and post the page.

Last edited:
I Vonage VOIP which is hard wired to my DSL modem. If I suspect an internet problem I pick up my phone and listen for dial tone. If its there, no internet problem. If no dial tone then I power off/on DSL modem.

Also I have several laptops and phone that use WiFi so if only one has an issue then its a problem with that laptop or phone. If they all do I power off/on wireless router.

Well that's was one of the issues with my computer. It had an error message and it was missing a few drivers. Like the sound driver. The cable guy hooked my laptop up to an Ethernet cable and it still didn't work.

About 8 years ago we had Time Werner now Spectrum and out internet was always hit or miss, often it would be down for the whole day and then be good for a few days and then off again. At least 2-3 days per week. TW techs would show up and test and swap out routers and of course it would almost always be working when they came. Finally got sick of it and dumped TW and went with Windstream, cheaper better and faster. WS actually checked all connections including a feeder lines from a junction box about 2 blocks away and as it turned out squirrels had been eating away at the feed wired that fed into the row of homes where I live and by doing this they were exposing the wires causing random outages. WS uses a type of wire with a hardend covering that apparently rodents cannot chew through. At least they have not managed to so far.

You need to either find a better computer repair place or learn how they work and fix it yourself. My Dell Dimension 2400 from year 2000 with 2gbs ram running xp home works fine on the internet so ram aint an issue. Residential DSL= lowest service levels. Call them and request a tech to come out. Do you have any other devices that run off the internet? Like a cell phone, tablet or wtv? Or have a friend bring a device to test it. That would be an easy way to see if its internet or device related. Thats the best place to start. Narrow down the culprit and try to figure it out. Its always handy to have a 2nd device to troubleshoot with information found online.

Last edited:
SPECTRUM Money grubbing bunch with not much to offer but high $$$ mediocre service. My TV comes on with a pink screen several times a week and T/W has never been able to fix the problem.BAH HUMBUG to a bunch of Nazis.

Spectrum is run by the same idiots that ran Time Warner. . They just changed the name , nothing more, they still offer the same lame service with the same incompetence and price hikes. Thankful that we have more than 1 choice here. I think many here in Lincoln are dumping TW by the score.

I called the repair place and they said a driver was installed that wasn't supposed to be there and it's possible it got re installed again making the internet not work.

Knowledge is power. When I did have windows I would need to install drivers for internet to work after a fresh install of the operating system.

I remember my first Gateway computer and calling Tech support. I did not have a clue and was not nice due to frustration. Learning more how a computer works may help your frustration and put you in driver's seat.

Even if you can't connect to the modem, the lights on the front of the modem tell quite a bit. If the cable line is disconnected or faulty, the US and DS lights will be blinking or out, and the Internet light will be out. If all the lights are on steady this usually means the cable and the modem are working and the computer is the problem.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Even if you can't connect to the modem, the lights on the front of the modem tell quite a bit. If the cable line is disconnected or faulty, the US and DS lights will be blinking or out, and the Internet light will be out. If all the lights are on steady this usually means the cable and the modem are working and the computer is the problem.

Those lights will light even on a non provisioned modem. I have seen it.

If you're not provisioned you will get a bounce page saying "need to pay your bill" or something like that when you try to use the web. That is different than having no connection for example if a rat chewed through the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back