Cub Cadet vs Toro Push Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to pick up a gas push mower to be used basically for trimming,flower beds,tree areas etc
Looking at a Cub Cadet sc300 or a Toro 20377. Seem fairly close in specs.,but Im no mower pro.
What say you,or can you recommend something under $300?
Thanks

Why do you need a self propelled mower for such a small job?

I have a pretty large area to cut that i cannot get to with my rider. My troy bilt with the Honda engine has been a tough one. I think i am on the 8th year of abuse on it.

Between the two, I'd probably lean toward the Toro. At least it has a name brand engine instead of the no name Chinese engines that MTD uses. (Cub Cadet is made by MTD) I'm sure the Kohler on the Toro is probably Chinese too though.

Realistically, for what you're going to be using it for I would look on Craigslist for a used mower under $100.

I have a Toro Recycler with a 22 inch deck. It has the “Personal Pace” bar to control the speed. Takes a bit of getting used to because if you push on the bar too hard it really wants to take off. It’s much better than the old school hand grip to control the speed. The Honda 160 starts on the first pull. I’d recommend it.

Honda Push mowers are the best, but they are more than $300. But, the Honda has some power, it will not choke if you get it into high grass.

I would go with the Toro.

Last edited:
I looked it up and the Toro 20377 looks like one I owned from Home Depot --- FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS!

I have a yard that takes about an hour to mow and the front wheel drive drove me crazy, even on the flats. If you have any kind of slope, forget it. You'll be more tired from fighting to steer the [censored] thing than mowing.

The engine did start right up, I'll give it that.

Returned it for my money back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David2431
I looked it up and the Toro 20377 looks like one I owned from Home Depot --- FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS!

I have a yard that takes about an hour to mow and the front wheel drive drove me crazy, even on the flats. If you have any kind of slope, forget it. You'll be more tired from fighting to steer the [censored] thing than mowing.

The engine did start right up, I'll give it that.

Returned it for my money back.

Absolutely. If you have hills, go for rear wheel drive. Same if you often cut tall grass. You can tip it back and still move forward.

If it were me, I'd go with the Toro.

I've got a Toro push 20053 that I've been using for 0ver 10 years now, and I have never had a problem with it. Right now, I can't see why it won't last another 10 years.

Cub Cadet equipment is not what it was 20 years ago. As mentioned above, it is now made by MTD, just like Troy-Bilt, Yard Man, Bolens. So unless you are buying one of their upper level machines, then there are better options.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I have a Toro Recycler with a 22 inch deck. It has the “Personal Pace” bar to control the speed. Takes a bit of getting used to because if you push on the bar too hard it really wants to take off. It’s much better than the old school hand grip to control the speed. The Honda 160 starts on the first pull. I’d recommend it.

+1

My Toro has the janky Tecumseh GTS 6.5 but still cuts and self propels really well. Best part is I only paid $25 for it

Originally Posted By: andyd
3hp B+S engine on a 19" deck. Cheapest mower out there.

and it WILL constantly stall in high grass! Honda GCV engines will keep trucking and will not stall.

As long as you are just trimming,those would be ok.For overall yard mowing, I would get something better than a $300 mower. The Toro recycler in that price range is not very good from personal experience, mulches poorly and is under powered.. The more expensive recycler 2 is a much better mower.

Last edited:
Husqvarna has two push mowers in their lineup. Both have high rear wheels. One comes with a Honda engine and the other comes with a Briggs & Stratton. Model numbers: 7021P and LC121P. You may have to buy at your local Husqvarna dealer. Be aware that cheap self propelled mowers have cheap, flimsy transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back