Valvoline Advanced full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Valvoline ditched the sodium for all applications, is it safe to say that they are equal to The other big-name oil brands? what kind of results are people seeing with this new Advanced full synthetic? I was thinking about picking some up. I was always hesitant of the previous synpower, it seemed like I had increased engine noise in my LS1 with that stuff. I always figured it was the sodium, because when I ran moly based oils the noise was gone

Is it the 2012+ oil youre speaking of? I dont get why its $$$ compared to others which have claimed to be SN Plus, even if not by label.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is it the 2012+ oil youre speaking of? I dont get why its $$$ compared to others which have claimed to be SN Plus, even if not by label.

I’m sure he is referring to Valvoline Advanced Synthetic, formerly known as Synpower.

I've been using its step sister NAPA synthetic for years on and off in Hondas, Subarus, & Toyotas. Oddly all of my car headaches haven't been a result of poor oil or poor oil filters. Usually it's some other part.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I’m sure he is referring to Valvoline Advanced Synthetic, formerly known as Synpower.

Yes

Originally Posted By: NHRATA
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Yes

Thanks. Wasn't aware of the name change. I had seem that $$$ 2012+ stuff on the shelf...

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
Need I be concerned if I am mixing some of the old NAPA Syn with the new Valvoline Syn?

Do you have a GDI or TGDI engine? I would run one or the other. Some here like to mix, I prefer to know exactly what is in my crankcase.

Yeah JHZR2 that Valvoline Modern Engine being $40 at Walmart is a long bridge too far in terms of pricing. That will become another good dust collector. Just like Mobil AP has been doing.

Now that Valvoline ditched the sodium for all applications, is it safe to say that they are equal to The other big-name oil brands? what kind of results are people seeing with this new Advanced full synthetic? I was thinking about picking some up. I was always hesitant of the previous synpower, it seemed like I had increased engine noise in my LS1 with that stuff. I always figured it was the sodium, because when I ran moly based oils the noise was gone

Well, Valvoline was superior to most oils, now that they canned the terrific additive package that showed up as sodium in a UOA (but wasnt the sodium you think) I hope Valvoline is still the superior oil it used to be. :eek:)

Assuming sodium compounds cause noise in an engine is wrong.

The latest dexos1 Gen2 Valvoline full syn (not the VME one) has both titanium and moly for FM/AW now. It should be an even better formula than the last one, given that it passes more engine tests.

Let's use real evidence of performance, not emotional fears. All we have are certifications and engine tests. UOA's don't tell us much, so don't rely on those.

I've been here around 14 years and you may be the first to complain about Valvoline Synpower engine noise. I don't recall ever reading about noisy Valvoline, before today.

I should be more specific about the noise, it was only upon startup. It was the classic cold start piston slap, it was just more audible with the Valvoline then other oils

Well … I might be the first to say that about PUP (in two different engines) … as taken with a dB meter … and that’s a great oil

I have to do a hearing test every year and my own two ears don’t even pick up the same pitch …
I take all the noise comments with a grain of salt until an oil filter change is part of it …

I should be more specific about the noise, it was only upon startup. It was the classic cold start piston slap, it was just more audible with the Valvoline then other oils

More likely the GovMo engine than the oil.

Not a GDI or TGDI engine. And I'm only using it for a short while as I rinse out the new engine metals. So I'm probably okay for the next thousand miles or so.

I've always held Valvoline SynPower (synthetic) in same regard as the other majors.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I've always held Valvoline SynPower (synthetic) in same regard as the other majors.

Exactly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back