Group oil listing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I have a very basic question.
Is there a listing of the brands of motor oils and what groupthey fall into ?
Using Pennzoil YB only as an example. Looking for a listing for all motor oils.
Example : Pennzoil YB 10W30? Is that a Group I , Group II ?

Thank you.
Keep the wheels turning and the greasy side down.

The info on base stock blending is proprietary ...

Around here, we can come up with some "educated guesses"
....but usually no one know for certain which stocks, and at what %, are used.

There is no such thing.

A Review of Mineral and Base Oils

Quote:
However, it is important to note a number of facts about modern finished lubricants.

* today's finished lubricants are composed of various viscosities of base oils and of various Groups of base oils to exhibit targeted characteristics in specific environments and applications,

* performance improvement additive packages differ from one specific application to another,

* it is the complete, finished overall package and not the specific base oil or oils, that constitute the final quality and performance of that lubricant.

Last edited:
It sounds like whiskey/wine where they blend batches to get the final desired target flavor.. would that be correct to analogize?

Wow. I am shocked with all of the oil/chemical engineers on this forum. That there is no such list.

Originally Posted By: fordman65
Wow. I am shocked with all of the oil/chemical engineers on this forum. That there is no such list.

Well for one, it’s proprietary information. Sure you can gleen a little from a SDS, but not much. It’s not like there’s an ingredient label on a bottle of oil. Focus on performance and results and less on a list of groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back