LSPI frequency and TEOST-33

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG

Low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) frequency and whether the oil can pass the TEOST-33 test are affected by whether the detergents used contain calcium or magnesium. Sodium was also tested. That is not new information to many of us. What I found interesting is that it also matters whether the detergent is overbased or it is low based/neutral. It also matters whether the detergent is a sulfonate or a phenate. They didn’t test it but it also probably matters whether it is a salicylate. I also found it interesting how many of the formulations failed the TEOST-33 test. See toward the end of the patent in the link for the test results.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2017/0015927.html

Great find JAG. And these people obviously work for Afton out of nearby Richmond Va. Close to you and me.

One interesting note I found in this was how titanium was also introduced to help limit LSPI events as well. Interesting enough the new version of Valvoline Advanced full synthetic has titanium in it has well. Looks to be Valvoline got their additive package from Afton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back