2006 Hyundai Tucson - What kind of issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, so this is a little long post just to explain and hopefully ya'll can teach me a thing or 2 since I'm young and wanna learn to fix this myself.

Ok so it all started when I hit the brakes, the parking lights (and dash night lights) would come on. Also when the lights were turned on by me, cruise control would not set (as if car though I was on the brakes) and the ESC OFF light would comme up after 5 mins of driving. So checked the fuses they look good. Then I checked my tail light brake bulbs. Took them all out, issue went away. Had one that was different bottom plate and the filament kinda look broken a bit in it. Plug them back in another way, now my bottom right brake light (which is that different and chinesium one) would always be on. So I figured I ordered a whole new set of bulbs and I went with LEDs to be more modern and now the only issues I have is the third brake light has like only 6 led that are always lit on and now my cruise control never sets and same issue for the ESC OFF light which now also happen even when lights are off.

So now my question is, what the [censored] is up. Is it because I got LED and should I try the OEM bulbs and see or at this point it's definitely a grounding issue?

And if it is a ground issue. How do I start diagnosing? I know how to check if the ground is bad with multimeter, but how do I start learning to find where the ground in the car are, and which one should I find and etc.

Hopefully you have any inputs would really appreciate it thanks!

Here's a video of how the brake lights are acting now, look at the third brake light.

https://youtu.be/-KoJv9Bh8e8 https://youtu.be/-KoJv9Bh8e8

I had an ‘06 Tucson and had some dash lights come on a couple of times. Note: There was a recall on the brake light switch. A bad brake light switch can cause all sorts of problems. Another thing that can cause erratic lighting behavior is a failing battery. After I had the brake light switch replaced, everything was fine for a couple of years. One day on the way to work, I got on the brakes hard and had the ESC light come on. I took it to the dealership and he hooked it to his laptop. He discovered low voltage. I payed for a diagnostic fee and system update. I immediately bought a new battery and no more problems. So, replace your brake light switch. Next, check your battery and charging system. If you have and aftermarket alarm system, that can cause problems.

Although a proper direct-replacement LED bulb (one that has the correct resistance, a bare LED won't work) should not be the cause of your problems, you do say " ... since I'm young and wanna learn to fix this myself. ..."

So, old guy to young guy, don't change two things at once when troubleshooting problems. That goes for fixing your car, your washing machine, your diet, and anything else that breaks, and most of the time, even your relationships.

Although you might not want conventional incandescent bulbs in those positions, that's what you should have bought. You could have replaced them with the LEDs after you figured out your problem, and the incandescents would make good spares for the glove box, since not having tail or brake lamps (they might also work elsewhere) can get you killed from a rear-ender at speed.

Also, as a further tip, incandescent bulbs are fantastic trouble-shooting devices. They are simple, you can visually check the filament when unpowered, they are a gentle load for any electronic device that can even increase safety (Google "light bulb tester" if you are interested, for an electronics workbench tool). Finally, they will light up, however dimly, with almost any voltage or current, so you can test a 12V bulb with a AA battery, or use a 60 watt 120V AC household bulb to check a 12V DC system, for example. None of that is possible with an LED bulb.

Hopefully ThoseWhoThinkTheyKnowBetterThanUs won't ban them before you die, and I mean a nice, natural death 80 years from now.

Originally Posted By: MParr
I had an ‘06 Tucson and had some dash lights come on a couple of times. Note: There was a recall on the brake light switch. A bad brake light switch can cause all sorts of problems. Another thing that can cause erratic lighting behavior is a failing battery. After I had the brake light switch replaced, everything was fine for a couple of years. One day on the way to work, I got on the brakes hard and had the ESC light come on. I took it to the dealership and he hooked it to his laptop. He discovered low voltage. I payed for a diagnostic fee and system update. I immediately bought a new battery and no more problems. So, replace your brake light switch. Next, check your battery and charging system. If you have and aftermarket alarm system, that can cause problems.

I could give that a try. The part is only like 10$.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

So, old guy to young guy, don't change two things at once when troubleshooting problems. That goes for fixing your car, your washing machine, your diet, and anything else that breaks, and most of the time, even your relationships.

Haha yeah, I may have screwed that part up.

I'll get some original incandescent bulbs and the brake light switch and I'll try the new bulbs first and if that doesn't solve it then I guess the light switch.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Although a proper direct-replacement LED bulb (one that has the correct resistance, a bare LED won't work) should not be the cause of your problems, you do say " ... since I'm young and wanna learn to fix this myself. ..."

Although you might not want conventional incandescent bulbs in those positions, that's what you should have bought. You could have replaced them with the LEDs after you figured out your problem, and the incandescents would make good spares for the glove box, since not having tail or brake lamps (they might also work elsewhere) can get you killed from a rear-ender at speed.

Also, as a further tip, incandescent bulbs are fantastic trouble-shooting devices. They are simple, you can visually check the filament when unpowered, they are a gentle load for any electronic device that can even increase safety (Google "light bulb tester" if you are interested, for an electronics workbench tool). Finally, they will light up, however dimly, with almost any voltage or current, so you can test a 12V bulb with a AA battery, or use a 60 watt 120V AC household bulb to check a 12V DC system, for example. None of that is possible with an LED bulb.

Hopefully ThoseWhoThinkTheyKnowBetterThanUs won't ban them before you die, and I mean a nice, natural death 80 years from now.

Well, looks like issue is resolved! Put in some Sylvania incandescent bulbs and everything looks good, at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back