2014-2017 Corolla CVT Service Advisory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logged into my Toyota Owner's account and noticed a service advisory (not recall) to reprogram the CVT due to premature wear issues. FYI if you're a 2014-2017 Corolla owner...

They could just change the fluid and stop pretending it's lifetime fill
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Maintenance rarely fixes problems.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Slacktide, but fluid changes don't generate anywhere near the cash flow of a transmission rebuild for the dealer!

Let's be honest here

One's the cars out of warranty, who's going back to the dealer for a rebuild?

First, they aren't going back to the dealer

Second, it's not a rebuild, it's an exchange

I'm all for preventative maintenance, but it won't overcome bad (or in this case correctable) design flaws

Good on Toyota for making an attempt to get ahead of this

How hard is it to drain and fill one of these Corolla CVT's?

I wonder what % of CVTs go 200k miles? Are they close to the reliability of a traditional transmission? Will they become less popular with carmakers if mpg standards are eased? I'm still skeptical of them but I'm not sure if that's rational or not.

That's exactly right The Critic. Changing fluid bunches of times won't magically fix something that is jacked up from a mechanical, computer, or electrical stand point.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Maintenance rarely fixes problems.

Rephrase mechanically unsound or engineering shortcuts rarely are fixed via PM

I have 225k miles on my CVT transmission. Doing great this far. However... Let's remember this.. it is a combination of motor and the transmission that comes into play here. The wrong motor paired with a CVT will not operate well or hold up. There has to be the right interplay between the two of them in order for it to be both effective and giving longevity.

Still hauls rear end very, very good too. I believe the 3.5 VQ motor is a better motor for that CVT because it puts more tension but not too much tension on the belt. The 2.5 motor just doesn't keep the CVT in the sweet spot in terms of it's optimal operating pattern.

And let me tell you this.. I would NOT want a CVT with a small motor like a 2.0 or 1.8 liter motor... That would be cruddy as all get out. Unless that motor was major league turbo boosted and actually had some torque and power... Then and only then I might consider that a possibility.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I would NOT want a CVT with a small motor like a 2.0 or 1.8 liter motor... That would be cruddy as all get out. Unless that motor was major league turbo boosted and actually had some torque and power... Then and only then I might consider that a possibility.

I'll have to disagree. A few months ago I had to drop my wife's Sienna off at the dealership for a recall. The dealer gave us a 2017 Corolla for a loaner. The car was a joy to drive, and it was all because of the CVT. Power wise, the new Corollas make about the same as my '04 Corolla, but my 4 speed auto felt like a dog compared the '17s CVT...when you stepped on the accelerator, the car took off without hesitation...with my car it has to downshift, then you wait for the RPM's to get to the point where it's making decent power. The CVT in the newer Corollas makes it a blast to drive!

Last edited:
Still hauls rear end very, very good too. I believe the 3.5 VQ motor is a better motor for that CVT because it puts more tension but not too much tension on the belt. The 2.5 motor just doesn't keep the CVT in the sweet spot in terms of it's optimal operating pattern.

And let me tell you this.. I would NOT want a CVT with a small motor like a 2.0 or 1.8 liter motor... That would be cruddy as all get out. Unless that motor was major league turbo boosted and actually had some torque and power... Then and only then I might consider that a possibility.

I'm pretty sure you have a wrong understanding on how the CVT works in vehicles. The belt is not pulled, but it is pushed because it is all steel. Your good CVT life has little to do with the engine it is paired to, but is closely tied to your driving style and routine.

Most CVT failures are either from the worn cones and sides of the belt or a failing oil pump that cannot keep sufficient pressure on the cones or a combination of the two.

If you look at the cutaway profile of the two cones and the belt, there is very little surface area to support the torque requirements. Application of the steel belt increased that torque because the pressure to keep the belt from slipping could be increased, but the contact area still remains small when compared to the traditional clutch packs.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
Logged into my Toyota Owner's account and noticed a service advisory (not recall) to reprogram the CVT due to premature wear issues. FYI if you're a 2014-2017 Corolla owner...

Can you take a screenshot of it and post it here?

I have 225k miles on my CVT transmission. Doing great this far. However... Let's remember this.. it is a combination of motor and the transmission that comes into play here. The wrong motor paired with a CVT will not operate well or hold up. There has to be the right interplay between the two of them in order for it to be both effective and giving longevity.

225k on any auto is respectable. There is no other part where longevity is more contingent on driver behavior than the auto/CVT tranny and clutch in a manual. Beat on them and they'll die an early death. Treat them right and they'll last the life of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

I'm pretty sure you have a wrong understanding on how the CVT works in vehicles. The belt is not pulled, but it is pushed because it is all steel.

How does one push a belt?

Originally Posted By: meep
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

I'm pretty sure you have a wrong understanding on how the CVT works in vehicles. The belt is not pulled, but it is pushed because it is all steel.

How does one push a belt?

Here is a good and short video that doesnt get into the boring technical details.

Thanks for the heads up! Take my Corolla in next Monday for the reprogram. Looks like they will fix/replace it if there is a mechanical failure too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back