2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0T - Recommended Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like you should be asking GM representatives these questions instead of strangers on the internet because theirs is the only opinion that counts.

PP Euro L 5w30 at Walmart
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Seems like you should be asking GM representatives these questions instead of strangers on the internet because theirs is the only opinion that counts.

LOL, GM representatives don't know the difference between my 2.0T or their 2.5 non-turbo engines. They put 0w20 in my engine.... TWICE!

The 'trust' the manufacturer approach does not give me confidence.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
PP Euro L 5w30 at Walmart
smile.gif

That's what I'm thinking.

I do have PP Euro 0w40 in my stash too.

Yes but they’re still the ones to decide what meets their warranty requirement and not strangers on the internet.

Dexos 2 oils have a HTHS of 3.5 I think while Dexos 1 oils are thinner.
We can debate about our poor gas quality here in North America, too.
I think what it amounts to is a lot of auto makers in the USA sell carbon credits because each 1/10 of one MPG earns them money
by selling it to oil refineries.. .

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Yes but they’re still the ones to decide what meets their warranty requirement and not strangers on the internet.

True, but I'm not looking for their permission. Their manual is clear. Think of it from a legal perspective. What argument could they counter when the exact same car, same engine, same specs, requires Dexos 2?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I think your mind is already made up. Run the d2 oil.

Another consideration is that I will be leveraging the free oil changes from the dealer for the first 4 years. I just won't be running their oil/filter for very long. So from a paper work perspective the warranty will be happy.

That being said, with the recent post about Dexos 2 having LSPI tests, is there any technical reason I should not use this spec oil?

No one but GM’s legal people can answer that, which is why I said their opinion is the only one that counts. Contact a regional manager or someone in their legal department and ask them for a clarification. You can get 10 pages of internet responses agreeing with you but if none of those are from someone at GM with the authority to honor or deny their warranty what good are they?

The d1G2 oil will serve you just fine for normal driving. If you have a vehicle that was going to tow or drove mountain passes etc then a stouter oil would give you peace of mind. In the end, peace of mind is important.

Europe can handle the lower TBN Dexos 2 (normally diesel) oil because of Europe's low sulfur gasoline-we have higher sulfur gasoline here in the US-wouldn't that be a good reason to stick with Dexos 1 Gen. 2 oil? Otherwise UOA is going to have to determine OCI instead of OLM?

Originally Posted By: webfors

Another consideration is that I will be leveraging the free oil changes from the dealer for the first 4 years. I just won't be running their oil/filter for very long. So from a paper work perspective the warranty will be happy.
That being said, with the recent post about Dexos 2 having LSPI tests, is there any technical reason I should not use this spec oil?

I guess the only thing to worry about would be checking the starting TBN of the d2 you use and making a judgement about what OCI to follow. I don't think that all d2 oils are super low SAPS like, say, M1 5W30 ESP, but you'd want to know exactly what you are dealing with. BITOGer edyvw shared a story about MB dealers in the US blindly using that M1 in all the vehicles they serviced and causing big problems for some of their customers with gas engines.
I believe that Pennzoil mentioned here that at least some people can find at WM is more like a 0.8% SAPS oil rather than 0.6% like M1 5W30 ESP, but I'd have to do some poking around to be sure of that.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I guess the only thing to worry about would be checking the starting TBN of the d2 you use and making a judgement about what OCI to follow. I don't think that all d2 oils are super low SAPS like, say, M1 5W30 ESP, but you'd want to know exactly what you are dealing with. BITOGer edyvw shared a story about MB dealers in the US blindly using that M1 in all the vehicles they serviced and causing big problems for some of their customers with gas engines.
I believe that Pennzoil mentioned here that at least some people can find at WM is more like a 0.8% SAPS oil rather than 0.6% like M1 5W30 ESP, but I'd have to do some poking around to be sure of that.

OCI's will be relatively short. I'll run the dealer oil for 2k miles, then swap it out and run the XG and oil of choice until the OLM hits 20% (the level the dealer recommends to come in). That should be no more than 5k miles.

Alternatively, I run both oils out to approximately equivalent intervals (~3.5k miles each) and swap out the dealer installed PF64 with the XG the moment I get home from the free dealer oil change.

I like your approach (run OEM 2k miles), but I would use an OEM filter. Don’t give them any reason to second guess what oil is in there. Plus, OEM filters are usually pretty high quality and consistent. And you’re OCIs will be pretty short for the filter.

OCI's will be relatively short. I'll run the dealer oil for 2k miles, then swap it out and run the XG and oil of choice until the OLM hits 20% (the level the dealer recommends to come in). That should be no more than 5k miles.

Alternatively, I run both oils out to approximately equivalent intervals (~3.5k miles each) and swap out the dealer installed PF64 with the XG the moment I get home from the free dealer oil change.

That will work OK. Like BMW has said for many years, you shouldn't use a low-SAPS (dexos2) oil with high sulphur gasoline in the U.S. BMW has always said you can't run LL-04 (diesel oil, like dexos2) in U.S. gasoline engines, and said you needed LL-01.

The U.S. is converting to low-sulphur gasoline, meaning it may be technically possible now to use dexos2 for full OLM OCI's.

Another reason GM will not recommend dexos2 in the U.S.: The EPA requires car makers to push the same weight and SequenceVIDed oil they used in the offical MPG FTP.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I like your approach (run OEM 2k miles), but I would use an OEM filter. Don’t give them any reason to second guess what oil is in there. Plus, OEM filters are usually pretty high quality and consistent. And you’re OCIs will be pretty short for the filter.
In the unlikely event of engine trouble, we can run over to the car and quickly put on a PF64 to appease the GM warranty demons. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
In the unlikely event of engine trouble, we can run over to the car and quickly put on a PF64 to appease the GM warranty demons. Problem solved.

I just don’t understand the benefit to running an aftermarket filter for such a short OCI. The engine techs will be very skeptical of an engine coming in for warranty with a brand new filter with no oil in it...

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back