Oh deer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for fun...which bullet caliber/round do U think has taken more deer in this country throughout the past 100 yrs than any other? I will say the 22lr. Notice I didn’t say “legally” taken. It has certainly taken the most game by far imo.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I would say the 30-06 hands down!

I think so, if not I bet it's in the top two.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Buncha deer hunters I knew liked the .270 for that task, but that's a tiny sample size.
I'd say .30-06 is probably the winner.
+1 have to agree with that

The 30-30 may have been the top round years ago but the 30-06, and the others mentioned are more popular now.

I’ll throw in the 308. That’s a nice popular round.

The .30-30 has been taking deer since 1895, and still is preferred today to other longer range rounds, in short range wooded areas like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. It is still very popular.

.308 and 30-06 are my two top picks. 30-30 would have, as another indicated, probably have been the top choice a few moons ago.

The .30-30 had a big head start on everyone else with cheap and plentiful rifles and is still a top 3 or 4 pick in the woods today.

22lr has been around since 1850. Many a deer have fallen from a well placed head shot especially during the turn of the century and throughout the great depression. I will admit that other calibers have made up a lot of ground since then and since regulations being enforced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
The .30-30 has been taking deer since 1895, and still is preferred today to other longer range rounds, in short range wooded areas like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. It is still very popular.

I would tend to agree with you over the last 100 years.
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2012/7/6/which-cartridge-has-taken-the-most-deer/

I guess over the last 25 years its the 30-06, Back in the day I never even heard of 30-06..just 30-30

I still have a 30-30 Marlin 336T lever action I bought in 1977 for $90 brand new. Have used it for short range (out to 150 yards) deer hunting and it worked well.

The .22LR round, since it's inception------

Has harvested one of EVERY animal in North America ... even Polar Bear.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Just for fun...which bullet caliber/round do U think has taken more deer in this country throughout the past 100 yrs than any other? I will say the 22lr. Notice I didn’t say “legally” taken. It has certainly taken the most game by far imo.

30-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back