Shops sometimes over-torque lug nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can over-torqued lug nuts cause ride issues at high speeds? At 80 my new tires feel like they're bouncing.
Yokohama Avid Touring S

Rarely but IF you have lug-centric (aftermarket) rims without centering rings AND if they ran the first lug home hard before putting the rest on the rim could be cocked on the hub face making a bad ride.

Overtightened lug nuts can cause warping of the rotors and vibrations. Especially tightened along one side first.

Some ham fisted idjit over torqued the Rat's front studs until they stretched and spun in the hub. I had to split the nuts on 3 studs to get the LF wheel off

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Overtightened lug nuts can cause warping of the rotors and vibrations. Especially tightened along one side first.

Is rotor warp permanent or will it return to normal when I re-torque? Does over-torquing have similar effect on rear drums?

Last year, thanks to over-torquing, the vibrations grew so bad I replaced all the rotors (after trying to live with it for six months). The next day I bought a torque wrench.

The chain where I bought the tires offers free wheel rotations, so now, as soon as the car is back in the parking lot after a rotation, I loosen every nut, then give the wrench a workout. A hundred kilometres later I do it again, all of it a real pain in the winter — and elsewhere.

I'll never buy tires there again. But now, because of the wrench, I don't have to take any tire shop's word for it — and I won't.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Originally Posted By: tcp71

Is rotor warp permanent or will it return to normal when I re-torque? Does over-torquing have similar effect on rear drums?

It’s permanent.

Son’s F150 has 89k and a couple weeks after Firestone put a set of AT’s on … got a brake warning...

Pulled both a F/R wheel to check pads (truck bought used, no history) and the factory wrench had no chance.
(Son is 6-3’ and 260) …even with a longer cross wrench it took all either of us had to break them = crazy … and all dozen we took off were like that …
Put the cross wrench in the truck …

I just don't let anyone touch lug nuts or drain plugs. The most important fasteners usually cranked on by the lowest paid young fellas too often thinking about girls, ect and not what they're doing.

Shops always over-torque lug nuts. FTFY
smile.gif

The only exceptions I know of are DT and Walmart, and possibly a small number local/regional places.

The indy tire shop I like hand torques wheels and makes customers sign a little slip saying they will come back for a retorque in about 100 miles.
I just take care of it with my own torque wrench, and there are almost always a couple of nuts that actually need it. I have noticed the same thing when I swap my own wheels.

How does a rotor warp by over torquing? It's a thick slab of cast iron.

I think you would damage the threads, studs/bolts, or the wheel before damaging the rotor.

Remember a rotor gets HOT, sometimes extremely hot depending on the duty cycle.

I always re-torque my own lugs after the tire store mounts tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back