NY auto inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday I brought my Forester to local indy mechanic for annual required inspection. He plugged in the inspection computer to OBDII and it failed, he said someone had cleared the code recently.

So earlier in the week I was fooling with Auto Enginuity OBDII tool and it really was not working and I pressed various buttons to see if anything would work. Turns out I had a mismatch between the OBDII connector, release of Auto Enginuity and activation codes. It's all set now.

How long do I need to drive to clear the cleared codes indication??

The Forester never had a CEL. This was purely fooling with the Auto Enginuity.

The “Readiness Monitors” are required to be set or complete. Look at an online forum for your particular requirements. Things like, X amount of time above 45 mph but below 60 with no cruise control and varying acceleration loads, etc.

Yes, but it's about 1/2 dozen monitor(s). Typically EVAP is the last to click in. NY might allow one to be un-set.

EVAP typically sets fastest with between 1/2 and 3/4 tank of gas.

Originally Posted By: georgemiller
NY does allow 1 not to be reset.

From https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/what-do-you-mean-my-cars-not-ready

How Many Monitors Have to be Ready?
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines allow up to two monitors to be in a "not ready" state for model year 1996 through 2000 vehicles and one monitor "not ready" for 2001 or newer model year vehicles.

Originally Posted By: georgemiller
NY does allow 1 not to be reset.

This is true, I had a Nissan Altima that had misfires that were triggering the CEL. After I fixed the issue I could get all but one of the monitors to set (the EVAP was impossible to set) even following Nissan's service manual that outlines the readiness check drive cycle procedures.

It passed inspection anyway. I spent a month trying to do everything to get EVAP to set when I didn't really have to in the end. The inspection station told me it's fine if one or two don't pass.

Although inspections are legally supposed to pass with some monitors not set in NYS, there's still a way you can "fail". The person at the garage hooks up a code reader, checks the monitors and won't even run the inspection because he/she saw that one was unset. I would know because that's what happened to me. I went to a garage and the guy did that to me, told me to come back when they're all set. I came back a month later after finding out that I could have one or two unset, a different guy told me the other guy had no idea what he was doing and that I was right. This guy actually hooked up the emissions equipment and lo and behold the emissions equipment didn't care that one was unset, I passed.

That's the way you can still "fail", if the person at the garage doesn't know what they're talking about and applies their own, stricter standard than NYS does. Go to a different garage in that case.

This happened to me once because I changed the battery too little of a time before going to inspection.

The OBD II machine has a way to read when it's ready too. Has to do with going through various cycles a sufficient number of times.

Just drive and check. Didn't take long.

I recall once I had my vehicle in for its annual inspection with the CEL light on. It passed, sort of. I had to put 50 miles additional miles on the vehicle, and bring it back to confirm that the CEL stayed off before a new sticker good for a year could be affixed to the windshield.

I actually managed to get my 2000 Cherokee through inspection with a Check engine light on!

The light was on, but there were no stored or pending codes. And all the monitors were good.

Was a Chrysler-ism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back