My old kitty

Status
Not open for further replies.
In April of 03 I went to the pound and I bought this cat. I paid $56 for him. By looking at his teeth,runny eyes etc they guessed him to be 10 yrs old when I got him.

I still have him! If they were correct that would make him 25!.

He still gets around fine. Jumps on furniture and even starts trouble with the other cats.

All his teeth except for the 4 big fangs are worn away so he has been on canned food for the last 10 years or so.

Nice cat! Similar story here. Our kitty came from the pound in Feb. '05. She'd come in as a stray, so no idea on age, but she was a full-grown, fat cat...they guessed maybe 3. The vet has her on a special food now because of kidney issues, but overall, doing pretty well for an old lady.

Last edited:
grin.gif

Nice share, all. I'm a cat lover (animal lover really) aficionado too.

Our last cat was on the vet's books for 23 years...we got him at the pound, but he still had baby teeth.

Your is doing better than ours was at the end Chris...

Everyone likes dogs better than cats. But cats do not need the constant attention that dogs need. Cats are perfectly fine staying home when you go out.

I give my cat 4 or 5 morsels of this "crunchy" cat food a day that the vet sold me. It is suppose to scrap the tartar, etc from the cats teeth. I also had the cats teeth cleaned a year or two ago, but it was as much as a regular person dentist. At the last vet visit the vet scraped off some of the tartar with her fingernail.

(The cat does get more to eat that the 4 or 5 morsels!!)

My last cat, Cleo lasted 21 yrs. 4 1/2 lbs of hauteur. She carried herself as though she were an Egyptian princess. She wondered what she had done to be reincarnated as a cat with such lousy humans. If you patted her, you'd better watch her tail. If it started to wag, take your hand away or risk a lightening swipe from her razor sharp claws. I still bear scars
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: pda1122
Everyone likes dogs better than cats.

I like animals who have the sense to avoid rolling in their own feces better

I always enjoy people's back story on cat acquisition; a lot of the time it starts out with never intending own getting one....

I have a 16 year old male that I rescued when he was just a kitten about starved to death. He is 18 pounds and going strong. I have had cats and dogs in the family all of my life. Always been partial to cats.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Would that be the animals who bury their feces in a little box you provide then walk all over your counters and table when you're not looking? Or the ones who maim small animals just enough to use as toys? Not looking to start a cat bashing as we usually have an indoor cat as well as dogs, but one can recognize positives and negatives of both species.

Our last cat, Lexi, made it to about 15, birth date unknown. My wife wanted a cat, found one online and we drove 2 hours to the shelter to rescue her. You'd think we were adopting a child with all the paperwork involved. It took a week for our terrier to understand her job was not to kill the cat. I ignored the cat, didn't feed her or even pet her and of course she picked me to be her slave. It's what cats do.

?

It was really just a tongue in cheek response to 'everyone likes dogs better than cats' (albeit accruate)

I hang comfortably with both.

Last edited:
Back when we bought our giant pile of sticks that masquerades as a house (!), I signed up to have siding put on it, 17 years ago last January ('01). Little did I know that there was a little gray kitten hanging around, and my (then) 8 year old son was watching him outside. They opened the front door, in came the kitten, and he's been here ever since!

We got 2 brother cats (litter mates) 16.5 years ago from a lovely couple who had many to choose from. There were easily 14 cats in their odor free house.
One was all black and the other had white markings.
The black one died 2 weeks ago. This after eating breakfast normally and jumping up on the countertop. He lay down in his favorite spot and died.
When I made a sandwich around 3:00 PM I instinctively glanced to the floor for him (routinized feeding-no need to beg for bits) and we wasn't there.
I knew something was wrong as he wasn't centered in the patch of sunlight. He was off by 90 minutes so TOD was 1:30 PM.
I buried him in the woods.

Originally Posted By: Kira
The black one died 2 weeks ago.

So sorry to hear that. They sure become a part of the family.

Animal post are the best,, we like cats and dogs here,got a 15 yr old border collie, Rosie,,still going strong, some arthritis, but ok so far..

My wife has a small rescue, we end up keeping some of the hard to adopt animals. My cat died over a year ago, now we have a couple feline leukemia positive kittens that will probably stay here forever. Our husky shepherd and lab mix dogs are both 14 1/2 years old, still going strong. I sure like having animals around the house.

My best buddy, Ollie, turned 20 on St. Patrick's Day. I think more people know him than me.
We've been through a LOT together. More than any human I know. When he goes, I will definitely be beside myself.
But I will remember this, "How lucky I am to have some[one] that makes saying goodbye so hard." Winnie the Pooh

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Would that be the animals who bury their feces in a little box you provide then walk all over your counters and table when you're not looking? Or the ones who maim small animals just enough to use as toys? Not looking to start a cat bashing as we usually have an indoor cat as well as dogs, but one can recognize positives and negatives of both species.

Our last cat, Lexi, made it to about 15, birth date unknown. My wife wanted a cat, found one online and we drove 2 hours to the shelter to rescue her. You'd think we were adopting a child with all the paperwork involved. It took a week for our terrier to understand her job was not to kill the cat. I ignored the cat, didn't feed her or even pet her and of course she picked me to be her slave. It's what cats do.

I love both cats and dogs. This is pasted in from a timely e-mail from a friend earlier today, and I think sums it up well:

The Story of Adam & Eve's Dog

Adam and Eve said, 'Lord, when we were in the garden, you walked with us every day. Now we do not see you anymore. We are lonesome here, and it is difficult for us to remember how much you love us.'

And God said, 'I will create a companion for you that will be with you and who will be a reflection of My love for you, so that you will love Me even when you cannot see Me. Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourselves.'

And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam and Eve.

And it was a good animal and God was pleased.

And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and Eve and he wagged his tail.

And Adam said, 'Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal.'

And God said, 'I have created this new animal to be a reflection of My love for you, his name will be a reflection of My own name, and you will call him DOG.'

And Dog lived with Adam and Eve and was a companion to them and loved them.

And they were comforted.

And God was pleased.

And Dog was content and wagged his tail.

After a while, it came to pass that an angel came to the Lord and said, 'Lord, Adam and Eve have become filled with pride. They strut and preen like peacocks and they believe they are worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed taught them that they are loved, but perhaps too well.'

And God said, 'I will create for them a companion who will be with them and who will see them as they are. The companion will remind them of their limitations, so they will know that they are not always worthy of adoration.'

And God created CAT to be a companion to Adam and Eve.

And Cat would not obey them. And when Adam and Eve gazed into Cat's eyes, they were reminded that they were not the Supreme Beings.

And Adam and Eve learned humility.

And they were greatly improved.

And God was pleased.

And Dog was happy.

And the Cat ...

... didn't give (edit-mod) one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back