Last time that you ate offal

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Knowingly I mean, not mystery meats).

Thursday before Easter, had a day off with my wife, she suggested that we go to the "Workman's Club"...not my fave, but her shout.

Lamb's Fry was on the menu.

Slices of sheep's liver, floured and fried on a flat top. Bacon. And Gravy, served over mashed potato, and an assortment of overly cooked soggy veg.

Was marvellous (bar the soggy veg).

Just the lamb's fry, floured, with a bit of "dead horse" (tomato sauce/ketchup) on grainy toast is a breakfast of champions...not that I'm allowed to cook it, the fam gets the darks with the smell.

Before Christmas I got to BBQ some lamb's kidneys...stole them from the cat food prep station.

Never have - my grandmother used to cook it, and much like your wife and kids, I couldn't stand the smell, let alone actually having a taste. At 43 years of age, I'm happy to live out the rest of my life not knowing what I'm "missing"!

I relish eating liver, kidneys, brawn (pigs brain), all better source of iron than steak, and a superb strong flavor. Bring it on!.

Claud.

"You eat guts" (37 seconds in)

Been a while. Not considered unusual in Scotland though. Taiwanese are usually a bit surprised when I eat offal because they are more used to Americans, who generally dont.

Hungry now. Think I'll get some liver.

Liver properly prepared is good. They key is to avoid overcooking it, since this gives it the texture of leather.
Liver and onions served with lumpy mashed potatoes is an American workingman's classic.
Brain is good, as are kidneys.
You also must try tripe.
How about tongue (really good), heart (good stew meat) or oxtails?
The term "lamb fries" has a different meaning in the US, the same thing that's meant by the term "Rocky Mountain oysters."
Lots of options a bit outside the mainstream.

Calf liver last Monday night not more than few hrs old Med rare just onions salt pepper don't get any better that that. Side note one of the most healthiest things you possibly can eat I try eating it once a week now.

Originally Posted By: Claud
I relish eating liver, kidneys, brawn (pigs brain), all better source of iron than steak, and a superb strong flavor. Bring it on!.

Claud.
+1 I'm with you all the way.

Offal is the term for organs...possibly any part which isn't muscle. Ergo tongue mightn't be offal strictly defined but I'm not sure.
I get my offal from sausages. Tried scrapple once in Pennsylvania and didn't care for it.
They do say it's the smart man who eats the animal from nose to tail.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Liver properly prepared is good. They key is to avoid overcooking it, since this gives it the texture of leather.
Liver and onions served with lumpy mashed potatoes is an American workingman's classic.
Brain is good, as are kidneys.
You also must try tripe.
How about tongue (really good), heart (good stew meat) or oxtails?
The term "lamb fries" has a different meaning in the US, the same thing that's meant by the term "Rocky Mountain oysters."
Lots of options a bit outside the mainstream.

Liver and onions, and tripe, were on the dinner menu regularly in our home when I was young. Loved the liver and onions but could never get into tripe. I ate it begrudgingly because if I didn't, I didn't eat that evening. There was no second option.

I really love heart meat, but it is expensive. Only chicken hearts are very easy to find.

Anyone here eaten "Rocky Mountain Oysters"?
They call them "calf fries" in Texas.

Yep !

Probably last time I ate lunch meat or frankfurters . No telling what really goes into that stuff .

How about some Weenie Tots
laugh.gif

I remember some comedian about thirty years ago whose routine was that the French ate all the offal and had dumpsters full of prime rib.

I was on a tour boat on the Seine last year and some Ugly American at my table kept hollering, "I'm not eating any of this junk until you tell me exactly what this is" I'm sure he had "Le Big Mac" Pulp Fiction style after embarking.

Closest I've had in the past year:

Blood Sausage
Tongue meat tacos
Brain meat tacos
Chicken gizzards
Chicken feet
Pork Chitlins

I am thankful that I was not raised to be a picky eater as these uncommon cuts of meat have often tasted a lot better than the usual stuff.

I just can't stand eating cilantro. That's my kryptonite LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back