Why Did Mobil 1 Fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Jooksing
I just wanted to add that XOM warranty is useless. They want a total engine tear down at your cost to prove that their oil failed your engine. I asked a bunch of shops near me and they are not willing to tear down since it takes so much time and shop space. (my oil turned into a gel, lost engine) they do not care for an oil sample with out the tear down.

Why would they warranty something that clearly wasn't theirs, which you proved? IIRC it wasn't even engine oil. I'd say it's time to move on.

The tear down should be on your dime, it wasn't their oil, which once again has already been proven. If I were you I'd tread lightly, you could end up getting sued.

This.

Who the heck in their right mind expects an oil company to pay for something they had no part in? We already know the product wasn't engine oil, that was abundantly clear. Trying to force Mobil's hand to cover it will be understandably futile. The only path of potential recourse is through Walmart.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I just wanted to add that XOM warranty is useless. They want a total engine tear down at your cost to prove that their oil failed your engine. I asked a bunch of shops near me and they are not willing to tear down since it takes so much time and shop space. (my oil turned into a gel, lost engine) they do not care for an oil sample with out the tear down.

Still trying to sell that scam? Do you really expect XM to buy you a new engine based on your word alone? Your own UOA showed the sample was not M1. When are you going to correct all of your YouTube vides with that info?

I agree it's starting to look more and more like a hoax.

And if Jooksing is the victim of the hoax, it's still the same thing, just like our Valvoline ATF tome from before. Mobil sells API certified Mobil 1. This wasn't what was found. If someone else tampered with the bottle or provided a counterfeit product, one cannot, realistically, expect Mobil to pay for the matter. It doesn't make things any easier on the victim, but that's reality.

Most people who care about their cars will change the oil and filter way before a year. Most people who go a year would do so using Dollar General store brand oil and a paper towel filter.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: tig1

Still trying to sell that scam? Do you really expect XM to buy you a new engine based on your word alone? Your own UOA showed the sample was not M1. When are you going to correct all of your YouTube vides with that info?

I agree it's starting to look more and more like a hoax.

It’s nothing but a smear campaign. Nobody is that clueless... Mobil should actually go after him for continuing to say it is Mobil 1 when it clearly is not.

When I first contacted them they told me to save the oil. They might send an engineer to look at it or at least have me mail it in. I was stoked that maybe they can tell me what happened. They gave me conditions that I have met. Receipts, my documents of the past oil changes (I gave them two or three years worth) Had a certified mechanic inspect the engine and report. I got to give them a plus for the quick response and and live person on the phone , note that they use a third party customer service handling.

I understand my chances of getting it cover is slim. I do not have a vendetta against them.

But as it relates to this thread. I buy plenty of products and companies have a vast spectrum of standing by their warranty. From Comcast to tool companies- that put you on hold until you hang up or send you parts overnight. This factors into my purchases and the price I am willing to pay.

They put their warranty as a selling point of their product. All I am saying is that the warranty is not worth much. If you want their product, buy it....

When I first contacted them they told me to save the oil. They might send an engineer to look at it or at least have me mail it in. I was stoked that maybe they can tell me what happened. They gave me conditions that I have met. Receipts, my documents of the past oil changes (I gave them two or three years worth) Had a certified mechanic inspect the engine and report. I got to give them a plus for the quick response and and live person on the phone , note that they use a third party customer service handling.

I understand my chances of getting it cover is slim. I do not have a vendetta against them.

But as it relates to this thread. I buy plenty of products and companies have a vast spectrum of standing by their warranty. From Comcast to tool companies- that put you on hold until you hang up or send you parts overnight. This factors into my purchases and the price I am willing to pay.

They put their warranty as a selling point of their product. All I am saying is that the warranty is not worth much. If you want their product, buy it....

I think you missed the point. Why would their warranty apply if it was proven via UOA by you that it was not Mobil 1 in the sump? That would be like using Pennzoil and expecting Mobil to guarantee your engine. In this case it wasn't even oil in the sump, so it would be like pouring Sherwin Williams Paint in the sump and expecting XOM to replace the engine. You're barking up the wrong tree. Try the store where you bought the oil, since it wasn't oil they allegedly sold you.

When I drove down the beach this weekend there was a coolant bottle on the sand ~ I picked up and took home to recycle …

Prestone needs to show some responsibility over where those bottles wind up …

Check out m1 warranty on their website. I understand that the MY UOA does not point to engine oil. It was maybe changed at the store or I got a bad batch. Either way, the research is done by only me so far. Xom just keeps giving me more conditions to satisfy that is not listed in their warranty page. Let them deny me if they can give me logical reasons per their research. They have more sophisticated testing and tracking than can be had by the general public But they did none so far, just hoops to jump through.

Ignore my event. Let say you have legit warranty claim, you put in oil and they had a bad batch.. they give you (and hundreds others) a run around before they actually look into it. That's what all I am saying, the warranty portion is a run around.

Last edited:
Check out m1 warranty on their website. I understand that the MY UOA does not point to engine oil. It was maybe changed at the store or I got a bad batch. Either way, the research is done by only me so far. Xom just keeps giving me more conditions to satisfy that is not listed in their warranty page. Let them deny me if they can give me logical reasons per their research. They have more sophisticated testing and tracking than can be had by the general public But they did none so far, just hoops to jump through.

Ignore my event. Let say you have legit warranty claim, you put in oil and they had a bad batch.. they give you (and hundreds others) a run around before they actually look into it. That's what all I am saying, the warranty portion is a run around.

You're still missing the point. YOUR UOA didn't point to engine oil. That sums it up, PERIOD. They warranty THEIR ENGINE OIL, not the fluid your poured into the sump which clearly was not engine oil. GO AFTER WALMART there's where the problem might lie, not with XOM.

We don't have a case with a bad batch where perhaps thousands of people were impacted. If that were the case this board would be littered with complaints and XOM would have to do something. They are not going address one person with a problem with some mystical fluid he poured into the sump which was clearly not engine oil, and a one off. If anything they could sue you for what you're doing on boards like this.

Why would XOM want to test something that clearly wasn't theirs? Bad batches don't impact ONE person. They have better things to do with their time and money. I'm surprised they've spent this much time with you.

Last edited:
sleep.gif
Again Not arguing on who's fault it is. You are trying to drive a point into that is not what I am talking about. My point is their warranty department did not even investigate but rather tells me to do this for them and do that that is $$$ to get me to stop my claim.. They did not even say it not their oil or that I should blame the retailer.

sleep.gif
Again Not arguing on who's fault it is. You are trying to drive a point into that is not what I am talking about. My point is their warranty department did not even investigate but rather tells me to do this for them and do that that is $$$ to get me to stop my claim.. They did not even say it not their oil or that I should blame the retailer.

You're trying to drive home a point that somehow this is someone's fault, anyone's fault but yours, yet you can't figure out who to blame even after proving their point with your UOA. So rather than zero in on the more obvious, WMT you chose XOM. Why would their warranty department care when it is clearly not their product in question? Re-read the replies here and you might just see how this thread sounds as ridiculous to them as it does to us. I bet they were very polite and courteous, but sooner or later that will stop too.

FTR- there is no claim to stop, you have no claim against them, you poured something other than oil into your engine.

I will digress... Not driving that point at all.

Basically, the onus is on you to prove that Mobil's product (which we know isn't, based on previous discourse) caused the issues. This is why you are the one footing the bill. If you were to prove Mobil was at fault, that cost would be reimbursed. They are not obligated in any way, shape or form to pony up the funds for your tear-down, to expect otherwise is ridiculous.

On the other hand, if the story is as described, you have a case against Walmart.

I'd drop anything to do with XOM, you aren't going to get anywhere. You need to contact Walmart corporate and explain the situation. You may, in fact you probably, will need to get a lawyer.

Warranties on products are supposed to cover cases in which the product that was purchased in sealed form was far enough from normal to cause harm. The warranty is useless if the manufacturer’s default response is to claim that somebody must have tampered with the product. The utility of the warranty is greatly reduced when the manufacturer requires the customer to spend a large amount of money just to get the manufacturer to initiate an investigation.

Anybody should be very suspicious of the basic thought of the warranty on a $25 maintenance fluid covering the replacement/repair of an engine that costs thousands of dollars. If you could just contact the maker of the fluid, tell them your engine failed with their stuff in it, and then expect a new engine within days, obviously thousands of people would get their big bucks engines replaced per year through making one smart $25 purchase.
Given that so many things can contribute to the failure of an engine, of course the fluid maker is going to require proof that their product caused the engine to fail...and, of course they're not going to pay for that up front.

FTR.. who says I will not follow up with WM?

XOM customer service never even sent my info to the engineer to analyze. they said they need the tear down before they even send it.

Xom said this to me... "To send a representative, we have to pull them away from other duties. This is part of the reason we need a tear down report from a certified mechanic before we can proceed further."

Mobil warranty
What we will do to correct problems
ExxonMobil will replace any lubricant that is defective. In addition, if there is equipment failure due to the lubricant you purchased, and the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of the lubricant, at no cost to you, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the OEM or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.
How you can get service
To file a claim under this limited warranty, you must:
Upon discovery of the damage (but not later than six (6) months from the date the damage occurred) call 1-800-AskMobil (1-800-275-6624).
Allow an ExxonMobil representative to examine the equipment and maintenance records, if available, and provide proof of purchase to determine the extent of the damage and to confirm that the lubricant was the cause.
Allow an ExxonMobil representative to obtain an oil sample from the engine for oil analysis at no cost to you to assist in determining the cause of the equipment failure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JAG
Mobil states their stipulations clearly and they did not follow through on their promise with jooksing:
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-ep-oil-warranty

This part:

Quote:
Allow an ExxonMobil representative to examine the equipment and maintenance records, if available, and provide proof of purchase to determine the extent of the damage and to confirm that the lubricant was the cause
Allow an ExxonMobil representative to obtain an oil sample from the engine for oil analysis at no cost to you to assist in determining the cause of the equipment failure

Appears to be the issue. He had the oil analyzed and it in no way resembles a Mobil product. If he shared that information with them, it shouldn't be surprising that they have no desire to be involved.

It also states:

Quote:
The remedy provided here will be your only recovery against ExxonMobil. You will not be able to recover incidental damages (for example, transportation costs to and from the ExxonMobil representative for inspection of the equipment, loss of use, towing charges, bus fare, car rentals or other incidental damages) or consequential damages (the cost of repairing or replacing other property which was damaged when the lubricant was defective).

Which likely insulates them against the cost of having a 3rd party tear-down the engine, which I believe is what he's trying to have covered.

OVERKILL, I agree that the UOA showed it was far from Mobil 1 EP motor oil. My take is that this case is very much one of the reasons for the warranty. The warranty applies in part to this case, which is basically: “If we really screw up a batch, we will take responsibility for the mistake.”

After carefully reading the second quote you posted, a key phrase that I first missed is “other property”. So they are not saying that they won’t cover damages to the engine the oil was in.

For the record, I have no bone to pick with XOM and I use their products. I’m just calling it as I see it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back