Ordered a Wireless Bluetooth Speaker

Had a couple of Amazon gift cards from Christmas and birthday that I hadn’t used, and decided to get a wireless Bluetooth speaker. I’m an aircraft mechanic, I work in a hangar, and a several of the guys have this kind of speaker. It seems that most of the guys have the JBL Charge 3 or Flip 4.

I’ve been impressed with the JBL Charge 3, which one of the guys has. It gets pretty darn loud and has really good sound quality. Also has a “power bank” feature where you can siphon off some of the juice to charge your phone or tablet, it’s essentially waterproof, and has a noise-canceling speakerphone feature where you can press a button on the speaker and answer the phone.

I read a few reviews, and, for the price ($119), the JBL Charge 3 sounded like the most for my $. The Flip 4 sounded like a cool unit too (it’s a bit smaller), but the Charge 3 is a bit bigger, with unquestionably better sound, and it was only like $20 more. So I went with the Charge 3.

Looking forward to getting it Monday and trying it out.

JBL Charge 3:

https://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/J...5_t-1523140234O

JBL makes the best bang for your buck bluetooth speakers. I have had a Charge, Flip 3 and Flip 4. The UE Boom are overpeiced for the sound quality.

The JBL Bluetooth speakers are great. You will enjoy it. It is better than any Bose speaker I have heard, and much less expensive.

You'll like that little speaker. My buddy has one, works great on the floaty when we're out on the lake. Don't have to worry about splashes.

I have several BT speakers around the house, everything from a $30 portable to a Harman Kardon Onyx Studio. I do love the HK, it serves bathroom duty for shower time and has been working flawlessly for at least 3 years now.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
How big is the Woofer?

If you click on the link I posted, and go to the specs, it says it has two 50mm transducers. 1" is 12.7mm, so, they're each about 4".

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
JBL makes the best bang for your buck bluetooth speakers. I have had a Charge, Flip 3 and Flip 4. The UE Boom are overpeiced for the sound quality.

I looked a little bit at those, but the JBL just seemed like the most for my money.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
The JBL Bluetooth speakers are great. You will enjoy it. It is better than any Bose speaker I have heard, and much less expensive.

Good to know, as I looked at the Bose also.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nice. I have the JBL Extreme and have been very happy with it. I typically use it in the garage or outdoors.

Nice! Bet that one's loud.

I have the Extreme as well, and yes, it's pretty darn loud for a battery powered speaker the size of a 1L bottle of pop. JBL recently released the Boombox, but its pretty salty at $400 MSRP. But, it is IPX7 waterproof and will play for 24 hours (74wH battery!), plus has the powerbank feature. I agree, JBL gives you quite a bit for your money, and IMHO their sound signature sounds best to my ears (I know it's totally subjective). The boombox has a 4" woofer and according to the specs will get down to 50Hz...

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
How big is the Woofer?

If you click on the link I posted, and go to the specs, it says it has two 50mm transducers. 1" is 12.7mm, so, they're each about 4".

1 inch = 25.4 mm.
smile.gif

1” is 25.4mm. 2” unit in there.

How big is the Woofer?

I was just looking at the Charge 3 yesterday on Amazon. I'd like a decent speaker for my garage/basement. The Charge 3 appears to fit the bill. Just a little hesitant to drop $100+ on a speaker without listening to it in person first. No one I know has one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How big is the Woofer?

1 inch = 25.4 mm.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tcp71
1” is 25.4mm. 2” unit in there.

How big is the Woofer?

OOPS, thanks guys!

So, each a little under 2".

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I was just looking at the Charge 3 yesterday on Amazon. I'd like a decent speaker for my garage/basement. The Charge 3 appears to fit the bill. Just a little hesitant to drop $100+ on a speaker without listening to it in person first. No one I know has one.

Can you go listen to one at Best Buy or something?

I didn't know Best Buy sold them. Yes it's an option but the closest one to me is two hours away. I'll check them out next time I'm that way. Thanks.

I didn't know Best Buy sold them. Yes it's an option but the closest one to me is two hours away. I'll check them out next time I'm that way. Thanks.

Do you have a Walmart nearby?

My local Walmart in Madison, TN. is showing to have the JBL Charge 3 in stock. Maybe yours also has it. They do show a higher price than Amazon ($149 vs. $119), but you could see if you could go there and demo it.

Do you have a Walmart nearby?

My local Walmart in Madison, TN. is showing to have the JBL Charge 3 in stock. Maybe yours also has it. They do show a higher price than Amazon ($149 vs. $119), but you could see if you could go there and demo it.

Rats! I was just in Walmart yesterday. Didn't know Walmart sold them either. When I accompany Ms Sierra048 there, I usually head to automotive and sporting goods. After that I find me a spot up front and just bide my time until she's finished shopping. I'm sure we'll be back in the next few days and I'll check them out. Thanks for the info.

Back