Need advice for a new 2018 Ford Focus 2.0L DGI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago regarding how to break in the Nissan Altima. After going thru several Nissan dealerships they all gave me a piece of [censored] price summary and therefore I test drove the Ford cars and finally I took the decision to get the Ford Focus Titanium with the 2.0L GDI engine. Manual called for 5W20 but wouldn't it be too thin if shearing occurs? I feel like I should use a dexos 5W30 but I am not sure if I am right or not. I appreciate all your input. I will upload the photos of the Ford later. It is a really nice car and I plan to keep it for 5+ years.
Have a good one.

I would be worried less about the engine and more about the transmission if its anything like my fathers work car, 2014 Focus.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I would be worried less about the engine and more about the transmission if its anything like my fathers work car, 2014 Focus.

This! Man, my wife had a Focus Titanium with the 2.0 GDI engine and everything about that car was nice...except that effing transmission. We traded it in and took a hit over it!

Why wouldn't you do what the factory recommends? No reason not to here.

But man watch that transmission. I think they figured it out but those from the first half of this decade were god awful.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
You could put a bottle of Lucas in. That will definitly take care of any shearing.
JK, don't do that.
Just use a good synthetic 5W-20.

I was thinking if he wanted ULTIMATE non-shearability,SAE50 with a bottle of Lucas
laugh.gif

Definitely kidding too of course :p

I had a rental Focus with the DCT, and I really liked how it drove after I got used to it. I could tell that it was very efficient. Durability is another thing, though.

Originally Posted By: Fulgore
It is a really nice car and I plan to keep it for 5+ years.

5 years? 5 years!? Do whatever the eff you want! 5 years is nothing!

Having owned one of these, based on UOAs fuel dilution doesn’t seem to be an issue and the engine seems to behave like it’s port-injected. 5w-20will be just fine.

I do hope the well-known transmission issues are in the past. Maybe the new ones are fine now.
A Focus is an awesome driving car. Tight steering and handling. I have the all-electric (no gas engine at all) one and it handles like a sports car.
You're right to pick a dexos1 oil since that is a higher spec than Ford's alone. You could use walmart's cheap Mobil1 AFE 0w30 in 5-quart jugs and it would give you a slight extra margin on viscosity. Of course a dexos1 5w20 would be fine too.

Thanks for your input folks. Gonna pick a jug of Supertech dexos1 5w20 tomorrow. I love my ford it was made in America. I will upload photos soon.

Originally Posted By: Fulgore
Thanks for your input folks. Gonna pick a jug of Supertech dexos1 5w20 tomorrow. I love my ford it was made in America. I will upload photos soon.

Iirc, it even has ~40% US/Canadian parts content!

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

When I was used car shopping last June , I did research on the Ford dual clutch transmission . Never did figure out if For had solved the problem ? So scratched it off the list . Continued to look at the Fusion as it did not use that transmission .

Wnded up with a cream puff 2006 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.8l with 37,000 miles . For less than 1/2 the price of the used Fusions .

if it has a warranty be sure to use spec oil + keep records + receipts if you DIY. otherwise i would use a brand name synthetic group III as most are. try a 5-20 to see if it uses, but a 10-30 would be my choice in your warmer climate especially if its turbo'd!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
if it has a warranty be sure to use spec oil + keep records + receipts if you DIY. otherwise i would use a brand name synthetic group III as most are. try a 5-20 to see if it uses, but a 10-30 would be my choice in your warmer climate especially if its turbo'd!!!

The STs and the RSes are the only turbo Foci currently, as I believe that the 1 liter, 3 cylinder, turbo engine option was dropped from the lineup for the Focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back