Skyactiv Intake Valve Deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't paid much attention to whether the Skyactiv engines are prone to intake valve deposits. I've heard many say they are, and even noticed the BG service offered by the dealerships, but I've yet to actually see proof there is an issue with the Skyactiv engines.

I've used M1 and top tier gas in my car and it runs like it did when I first bought it. The car has 51,400 miles on it.

Mazda claims to have solved this issue. I'm not on any of the Mazda forums to get a better sense of the reality of the situation.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/I...Technology.aspx

I've owned two, 2.5l SkyActiv engines. Neither have had deposit issues. I frequent Mazdas247 and have not seen reports of deposits. It seems as though Mazda solved the issue for their engines, but, most other manufacturers have also.

110 thousand miles on my skyactiv runs like day I bought it 5k with mobil1 nothing else special done. Absolutely love theat engine 2.0l

It seems that Mazda has taken steps to reduce buildups and fuel dilution. I haven’t heard of major issues with their engines like the other manufacturers have. The linked article is from 2011 so a lot of changes have occurred along the way. Starting with 2017 the engines had redesigned pistons and rings plus offset crankshaft.

Use toptier fuel, synthetic oil and a regiment of CRC GDI throttle cleaner and Gumout all in One. No to Techron; its PEA based but lacks a friction modifier and does nothing for ethanol protection.

Usually of all the cars I had come through Walmart, the only ones that I can tell that have fuel dilution issues is Honda. I haven't messed with that many Honda's, but the ones that always smell like gas in the oil are the 2015-16 2.4 engines from Honda. I havent dealt with any of the other new Honda engines though. Even the one in my signature smells like a gas tank in the crankcase.

My 17 Jetta also has DI, but it doesn't smell like a gas station. I guess Honda wasn't producing "Honda Quality" with those engines.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It seems that Mazda has taken steps to reduce buildups and fuel dilution. I haven’t heard of major issues with their engines like the other manufacturers have. The linked article is from 2011 so a lot of changes have occurred along the way. Starting with 2017 the engines had redesigned pistons and rings plus offset crankshaft.

Probably like you, i researched and did not find much in the way of intake valve issues with the skyactiv engines. Thats one of the reasons i went with mazda.

I'd more interested in fuel dilution that intake valve build up. Less data/info out there on fuel dilution.

In theory, all DI engines will be prone to intake valve deposits. However, is being "managed" thru other techniques. If you are concerned about deposits, you will need to remove the intake manifold and inspect the intake valves using an inspection camera. Anything else is just a guess.

Thanks for the feedback. I will continue to not worry about this.
grin.gif

hoping for my GF's sake her DI 2.5L 2013 Malibu continues to be carbon free, 50,xxx miles + ONLY a new radiator SO FAR!!!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'm guessing an Italian tune up won't help.

It always helps something, even if it's just your smile muscles.

This site shows some carbon build up on a Slyactiv with less then 5,000 miles on the clock.

http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/blog/theres-nothing-positive-about-the-2-0l-skyactiv-pcv-system/

I guess driving style / conditions matter most in this case. Also, how much the build up compounds also is a big guess. If the carbon never gets thick enough to cause issues, then who cares if the valve are "dirty". Not a big deal to me.

I have 70,000 miles on my 2014 Mazda 3 with 2.0L. Been modified and tuned since probably just after break-in. Car still runs AMAZING. No issues, pulls like crazy. Always get 40mph+ on the highway. Haven't done any cleaning of the intake tract.

I do rev the [censored] outta the car constantly though, so I imagine there's plenty of heat, and pressure going thru the intake to blast any build up outta there.

Tech documentation I've ready on the Skyactiv engine says it's designed to keep the intake valves hotter than normal engines, hot enough to reduce the carbon build-up. With most engines, intake valves are usually cooler than the ideal temp for carbon build-up, so an Italian Tune-Up running them hotter might only make things worse. However, with the Skyactive engine designed to keep its intake valves on the hot side of ideal carbon build-up temps, suggests that getting them even hotter takes them further away from ideal carbon build-up temps, so an Italian Tune-Up may actually be beneficial.
All speculative and hypothetical, of course. By I can say that my 2014 Mazda 3 runs better and gets slightly better fuel economy after I've given it an Italian Tune-Up, and after doing extensive freeway driving on long road trips. Purely anecdotal of course and placebo effects may be at work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back