TIPPING FOR ROOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would base my decision to tip on what the roof cost.
If I think the price was good and they did a good job....I'd give them a tip....if I thought the price was high I wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Is it customary to tip those who install a new roof on my home? Ed

No.
You excepted a good job when you hired them.

Now, if they went above and beyond..... or did some extra work, maybe.

I’ve never tipped for commercial work but when I’ve had workers at the house I make sure they have cold water if it’s hot out or coffee if it’s winter. We also provide snacks and such.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I wouldn't tip. Maybe give them a few Beers after the job is done on a hot summer day.

Lots of roofers tend to be drunks. Don't be the one that gives them beer while they're on the road. One guy told me he was working a roofing job and one of the guys showed up half drunk to the job, he almost fell off the roof, but he managed to grab him before he fell. If he had fallen, that would have been the end of him or he would have been severely injured.

Drinks like coffee or soda should be enough. Depending on the crew, you might have 4-12 people to tip. And you don't really know if they did a good job til later, there could still be bits of shingles/nails around and you don't know if it leaks til it rains.

Isn't the price high enough? For the prices paid for ANY home improvement it seems, I don't feel the need to tip anyone.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Isn't the price high enough? For the prices paid for ANY home improvement it seems, I don't feel the need to tip anyone.

Yep. + 1000000

I would not TIP.
You expect good work for the money spent.

Get a well written Contract and make sure they follow it.
Try and be home during the work so you can watch.

When I had my roof reshingled:
I told the workers before they started, I would buy pizza for lunch (they liked that idea).
That way their more inclined to do a good job.
The $20.00 for pizza was worth it.

I also had iced water bottles if they were thirsty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
When I had my roof reshingled:
I told the workers before they started, I would buy pizza for lunch (they liked that idea).
That way their more inclined to do a good job.
The $20.00 for pizza was worth it.

I also had iced water bottles if they were thirsty.

That's awesome!! I'd do that very same thing.

Along with not knowing if it was a good job until it rains, you also do not know if enough nails per shingle were used until the roof is subjected to a really high wind storm.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I like the PIZZA idea and of course ice water etc. Thanks for all the input. Ed

When they quote you a shingle, go to the manufacturers website and see exactly what the spec in order to be covered under warranty. I've seen a few written quotes and they're usually pretty bare bones and don't specify things like drip edge, starter shingles, ridge and cap, venting, tyvek roofing felt, ice & water etc.

It'd also be good to keep an eye on them. I've seen some roofs where one crew must have started on the top and the other on the bottom and when they met in the middle, the shingles were all bunched up or crooked, that's about 1 in 20 or so.

I'd ensure that they're well fed, hydrated, etc. No cash tips at the end unless they did something well above and beyond, but very happy workers while doing their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back