76 K10 Chevy 350 Delvac 15w40 2.5 years 1,100 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
First analysis on the 350 in my 1976 K-10 Chevy truck. The 350 is not original to the truck but is a 1976 350 from some sort of GM Car with an automatic according to the block stamping. I've owned the truck for a little over three years. Had exceptionally low oil pressure when I purchased it and unknown oil from a Valvoline instant oil change judging by the filter I removed when this oil was installed. Immediately prior to this oil change I had the oil pan off to inspect rod and main bearings (all checked out ok) and I installed a Melling M-99HVS oil pump (for those not familiar this is a BBC pump made to fit a SBC that was used in Z-28 engines) in addition to the new oil pump a 28,000 GVW oil cooler was installed and plumbed with -10 AN line with a thermostatically controlled Permacool sandwich adapter. Oil pressure with the new oil pump is now excellent for an old SBC. Oil fill was 4 quarts of Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 CJ-4 and 2 quarts of Napa All Fleet 15w40 CI-4+, top off oil was .5-.75 quart of Valvoline SAE 30 I had laying around and open. Silicon in the UOA is probably a combination of sealant used on the 4 corners of the oil pan gasket and the new silicon rubber Fel-Pro one piece oil pan gasket and to a lesser extent from silicon sealant used on the valve cover gaskets that were replaced immediately prior to my ownership. High copper is likely due to the new 28,000 GVW copper oil cooler. Filter for this oil change was an AC Delco PF-1218 posted in the filter section. New oil in was 6 Quarts of Napa All Fleet 15w40 CI-4+ and a new Delco filter.

Enjoy!

I forgot to mention... the blackstone comments about fuel were in response to what I wrote on the slip. The Truck has a 4bbl carb with an electric choke and frequently gets started up, backed out of the garage and shut off, then fired up and pulled back in without ever warming up, at all. I fully expected to see a huge dip in flash point and viscosity from all the partial warmups on this engine over the 2.5 years the oil was in service. Granted [censored] fuel is usually under estimated but the solid flash point indicates no huge trouble on the horizon. Oil cooler thermostat starts to open at 165 and is full open at 180F.

This is enough to give the PPM fanatics chest pains
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is enough to give the PPM fanatics chest pains
lol.gif

Yes it probably is. However I'm not at all concerned. It's a 1976 long block with stock steel shim gaskets still in place on the heads. Unknown service history, likely run on leaded fuel for a portion of its life on garbage (by today's standards) oil. It runs absolutely fantastic and the bearings looked great when I had the pan off (bearing clearances were good too) so what the heck run it. I have a new hydraulic roller 454 for the truck when I get around to installing it anyway.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I had a 77 K10 - does yours have the NP203 "full time" transfer case?

I recall putting a conversion kit in that along with locking hubs to run 2 WD when on the road …

So is this the first UOA after pumping a higher flow rate around in the old iron block?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I had a 77 K10 - does yours have the NP203 "full time" transfer case?

No, this truck has a SM465 4sp stick and a NP205 transfer case.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
So is this the first UOA after pumping a higher flow rate around in the old iron block?

Yes it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back