2018 Durango R/T reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions on the quality/reliability of the newer Durango's AWD with Hemi? Engine/tranny seem to be proven. More concerned about the body, steering/suspension components, etc. for long term ownership. Any major known issues?

I like the towing capacity, and the fact it has a V8 with decent MPG and it's price point. Seems there's more deals available vs the competition in my area. I'm staying away from Ford, don't want any Ecoboost... I'm also liking the Toyota 4 Runner but it's not as good MPG wise vs the Durango and would be a bit of a slug.

If the Tahoe wasn't so [censored] expensive I'd go that route.

There's a few threads on the first page of the "vehicle" forum here regarding the 4runner specifically. There was also a thread that discussed the harsh ride of the 4runner, it had some good info about how it is an old school body-on-frame suv with poor mpg. One poster made an interesting point about how it has changed little chassis wise in the last 15 years. Definitely worth a read if you are considering one, I learned a lot about the 4runner and how it stacked up against other SUVs.

The tahoe is [censored] expensive but GM truck based SUVs are awesome.

FWIW everyone I've known with the 5.7 Hemi has really liked it and has got better MPG than the EPA. I can get 30 mpg in my Challenger w/cruise set at 67 mph. I averaged 28 on my last trip to WV.

Well, the extraneous body/interior components have always been Chrysler's weak point, haven't they (well, at least, in the last...45 years or so).

Their transmissions sucked for a long time (well, after the Torqueflite 727), and their engines were mostly completely gutless for a long time, as well. Now they've seemingly fixed those issues.

I think if you went with the Durango, my bet would be that you'd probably get pretty good service out of it. It's a big, heavy truck with a powerful engine, so, you'd probably have some driveline parts wear out if you planned on keeping it out of warranty, so, I'd just count on that from the get-go. More so if you'll be driving it in town a lot; less-so if it will get mostly highway use. Also, from what I've seen, Chevy and Chrysler, especially, tend to use some cheaper parts as far as alternators, starters, water pumps, fuel pumps, etc., as compared with Japanese vehicles.

The 4Runner will be easily rock-solid reliable for 300,000 miles at least. You're not really going to have to worry about any of the [censored] I mentioned above. And it looks a helluva lot better than the Durango. Actually, personally, I think the Jeep Grand Cherokee looks a lot better than the Durango.

4Runner a slug? Not real sure where you're getting that idea. It has the latest iteration of the 1GR-FE 4.0L DOHC V6 with dual VVT-i. Wiki says it's rated at 285 HP/289 LB/FT TQ. on 91-octane fuel. Car & Driver says 0-60 mph in 7.5 seconds. I wouldn't call that a slug. That was Mustang GT territory up until the mid-90s.

Sure, the tranny only has 5 speeds, but it's bulletproof behind that engine. I have that same transmission (Aisin-Warner A750E) in my Tacoma (along with the single-VVT-i version of the 1GR-FE). It's been used with V8s in other applications (4Runner when they offered the 4.7 V8, Sequoia when it had the 4.7 V8, Tundra, etc.), so, it's understressed motivating a V6 4Runner.

That 8-speed in the Durango? I understand it's being used by a lot of different OEMs, but it still doesn't have a real track record yet.

Anyway, no real doubt in my mind at all that if you're looking for a vehicle to keep for a long time, well beyond warranty, you're going to spend a lot less money and time on maintenance on a 4Runner, than a Durango.

I got one as free upgrade to rental skiing out west and it had about 40k miles. Given the few creaks and finicky touch screen it seems to be a 150k vehicle likely.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Also, from what I've seen, Chevy and Chrysler, especially, tend to use some cheaper parts as far as alternators, starters, water pumps, fuel pumps, etc., as compared with Japanese vehicles.

Chrysler Corp has been using Denso Starters & Alternators since the early 90's, But don't let that skew your perception that everything Toyota is golden!

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Also, from what I've seen, Chevy and Chrysler, especially, tend to use some cheaper parts as far as alternators, starters, water pumps, fuel pumps, etc., as compared with Japanese vehicles.

Chrysler Corp has been using Denso Starters & Alternators since the early 90's, But don't let that skew your perception that everything Toyota is golden!

My 2001 Ram 1500 had a Denso alternator. Don't know why people have such a negative perception of Chrysler; they all have given me excellent service. Toyota isn't perfect either, esp for the high price you pay. Your money goes a lot further buying Chrysler.

I'm coming up on 60k in my Grand Cherokee and the only issue I've had is a leaky LF strut. I'm very happy with it, it's really a great vehicle to drive. Ride quality is excellent, steering/brake feedback and handling are great. I like the ride height and utility. Add in goodies like the cooled seats and killer audio and it really makes for a great driving vehicle.

Yep, my van has a denso alternator

I now own more Chrysler vehicles than Toyota, because I've had the same reliable service from either but the driving dynamics of the toyotas just bore me. I happily trade perceived reliability for driving enjoyment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm coming up on 60k in my Grand Cherokee and the only issue I've had is a leaky LF strut. I'm very happy with it, it's really a great vehicle to drive. Ride quality is excellent, steering/brake feedback and handling are great. I like the ride height and utility. Add in goodies like the cooled seats and killer audio and it really makes for a great driving vehicle.

I like the Grand Cherokee. That may be my favorite vehicle that Chrysler makes.

Add to that the ZF 8 speed is in everything from BMW to Bentley. It does indeed have a "track record" and it's a great one for sure.

Anecdote: Our 14 RAM has been perfect except a console latch at 70k miles, averaging 19 mpg with my foot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back