2008 accord oil pan drain bolt and washer cracked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed 4 small spots on garage floor under the car.
Upon closer inspection...

As you can see there is a hairline crack on both plug and washer.

I have had that drain plug for many years.

I just took the car in on Wednesday last week for the airbag recall. No reason they would have touched the drain plug...right?

I last touched the plug in November when I changed the oil.

You think you plug and washer somehow cracked on their own in the last few days?
or
Or did the dealer try to Jack-Me-Hoff??

Last edited:
The way the corner of the bolt looks, it makes me think you may have hit something in the road, or hit the pavement somehow. Its odd that the crack in the washer and the bolt are both on the same plane.

Last edited:
Purchase an OEM drain plug and a box of aluminum drain plug gaskets and your problem will be over. Chuck that BLOX plug in the you know what can. Torque to OEM specs and you won't have a problem for as long as you own the vehicle. If you purchased that drain plug, you were had.

I have the original plug that I can put on.
I only got the blox because of the magnet.
The blox has worked fine for 5 years.

Last edited:
If you like the magnet get yourself a gold plug.

Plug actually had 2 cracks at 10 and 2

Second pic you can see the widest part of plug had begun to mushroom. See how the bottom of the widest part is actually wider than the top?

OEM plug back on with another new washer, yah tah hey can sleep well tonight.

Last edited:
The only thing I can say is you or they hit something harder then you plug. There is alot of debris on the roads from winter yet at least in my parts and pot holes also. Time for a Fumoto Valve for your Honda. I have them on all my vehicles in signature and luv how much simpler and cleaner oil changes go.

Dale

I'm in an analogous boat. I will be installing a Fomoto (went to regional HQ to buy it) on an Accord which has stripped oil pan threads.
I'm hoping I can use sealer (Permatex grey) to secure the whole darn thing.

Anybody know any harder (more epoxy-like) sealers?

Sorry for the "semi hijack".

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Purchase an OEM drain plug and a box of aluminum drain plug gaskets and your problem will be over. Chuck that BLOX plug in the you know what can. Torque to OEM specs and you won't have a problem for as long as you own the vehicle. If you purchased that drain plug, you were had.

This.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'm in an analogous boat. I will be installing a Fomoto (went to regional HQ to buy it) on an Accord which has stripped oil pan threads.
I'm hoping I can use sealer (Permatex grey) to secure the whole darn thing.

Anybody know any harder (more epoxy-like) sealers?

Sorry for the "semi hijack".

Did you try an oversize drain plug? can always change the oil with an oil extractor.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Looks like cheap material that got fatigued with use and heat cycles. Doesn't look like it was hit at all.

Agreed. Looks like fatigue to me.

Yes it is aluminium.
Seems cheap/light.
I emailed the company they said plug has a 1yr warranty.

Also FYI the plug was leaking from the joint between the hex and wide washer portion of the plug.

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted this, I was looking at them but was too skeptical to try one. I have been using Gold Plug but they are 3x the price, I guess you get what you pay for.

Looks like the center of the plug (the hex head which is inline with the center of the bolt/threads) was trying to go in while the flange couldn't, causing the flange to bend outward and start to crack. I don't think the cracks were your problem, just a symptom of the flange bending outward. I think the real problem is that as it started to bend outward it lost the ability to seal, hence you were leaking.

Was it overtorqued? AFAIK aluminum bolts support lower torque specs than the same bolts in steel because of the material differences. Were you using the same torque specs as you would for steel drain plugs? I could see that being a problem.

yes i was using the listed torque setting for the drain plug
also if you check the pics, the blox plug caught a lot less oil pan rim than the OEM plug.
14mm vs 17mm iirc

I'm just thinking how bad it would have been to blow my load going 80 down the highway...

Last edited:
I worked 32 years in aviation maintenance and I'll give you one guess which type (material) of magnetic drain plug we replaced most often for failure. Anybody know where those Blox plugs are manufactured? I can probably guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back