oil for Briggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several mowers with small Briggs and Tecumseh engines and I have always used straight 30 HD oil in them. But I know that Briggs now recommends 5/30 synthetic oil as their first choice. I have in my stash a lot of 0/30 M1 , and am wondering if that would be ok to use in place of the 5/30 ? I have 5/0 in a syn blend, would that work? I suppose the worst that would happen is that it might use more oil than before, right? And that would be no big deal as I check and top off the oil in everything before every use.

I've been using my left over top off oil in my Briggs and it is usually 5W-30 full synthetic and its been doing just fine on it for 5 years or so now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old1
Yes, but would 0/30 be ok?

If you're out of SAE 30 no harm in using what you have in a 0/5/10W30. My OPE has 15w40 Napa All Fleet CI-4+ because it's what I had around and open when I serviced it last.

Any engine oil will work.

When I was a kid, I once filled a Briggs mower engine with Hy-Tran, then mowed two acres.

That engine lasted another 20 years after that.

0W-20 or Aeroshell 100... it'll run just fine for many years

And that would be no big deal as I check and top off the oil in everything before every use.

BINGO!

That is the real key.

Use whatever oil you have. The most important thing on them is keepin the oil level where it should be. As long as you do that it will last longer than you care for it to last.

If they are high hour machines stick with conventional oil.

Any of the oils you have will be fine, especially considering you check the oil so often.

Looks like you're already using 15w-40 Delo in another vehicle. I'd use that in your mowers.

Yes, but would 0/30 be ok?

Sure, so long as you routinely check the level and change at the prescribed frequency.

A cheaper option would be Shell Rotella T5 semi-synthetic, in 10W-30...

Save the $10 a quart Mobil 1...

Wal-Mar has quarts of Delo and T5 for $2.50 on the discount shelf...

15W-40 in all my Briggs engines.

I very seldom ever replace the oil, maybe every 10 years. I just keep it full.

The type of oil is of little to no consequence provided it meets basic requirements.

I've worked on small lawn mower engines (Briggs & Tecumseh) that had a substance closer to black grease than oil that were still running. Some smoked a bit while others showed no signs of problems.

Focus on keeping the engine cooling fins clear of debris and run any oil suitable for engines. Just make sure it has oil in it. My preference is Rotella 15W40 for summer machines.

No way would I use 0w20 in an air cooled engine with a carb. Grass doesnt grow when it is below 60F. Why do you need a thin oil. Started out with 30w and went to 10w30. Best is plain ole 30w. I use 5w30 in the Snow blower. and that is probably a tad thin.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back