Stought 5-10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This summer I'm taking the family across country from Massachusetts to California then to Florida then back home to MA. We will be driving my new Lincoln MKZ 3.0 Ecoboost twin turbo recommend oil is 5w30. I want to run a solid oil that won't shear down to a 20 weight I'm thinking a solid 10w30 may be a better option? Maybe a known stay in grade 10w30 synthetic?

This might be a little outrageous to some, but if you're seeking something shear stable why not run something like a SAE30 or run Delo 15w30 SD. Either one should stay in grade easily. I recently ran PYB SAE 30 in my Lexus after over 5,000 miles the flash point was still 470 and it was still at the high end of the viscosity range for grade, plenty of reserve TBN as well.

Think I would stick with factory recommended grade for warranty purposes (I know, they never check it, blah, blah, blah)-Magnatec 5W30 has been doing really well in EB applications, and is pretty cheap at Wal Mart. I know their full syn 5W20 really agrees with my 4.6 2V Grand Marquis (not as tough on oil).

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
This summer I'm taking the family across country from Massachusetts to California then to Florida then back home to MA. We will be driving my new Lincoln MKZ 3.0 Ecoboost twin turbo recommend oil is 5w30. I want to run a solid oil that won't shear down to a 20 weight I'm thinking a solid 10w30 may be a better option? Maybe a known stay in grade 10w30 synthetic?

What is the total mileage? 8k round trip? With site seeing that will end up being 10k? I would drive it with any good 5w30 synthetic. I would possibly have it changed at a Ford Quick lane with MC oil if it gets up around 7500mi or so.

Those miles will be easy miles as your amount of cold starts and short trips will be extremely low. I wouldn't go off spec personally. There is no reason.

Ford Ecoboost engines have proven reliable on Ford spec 5w30 which most conventional oils meet.

There's no Ford dealers along that route, within a few miles of where you'll be?

Change it before you leave, and it seems like Florida would be about right for an oil change.

Any Full Synthetic 5W-30 will do just fine. Change it before you leave. If you have a concern about fuel dilution Just check your oil level when you stop for gas.

Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance. On rollback at Walmart plus a rebate. I just put it in my Edge 2.0 Ecoboost. I will run it until the OLM says to change it. Should be around 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
Big name 5W-30 and go the whole way back home. Those will be some of the easiest miles it'll ever see(except the Rockies and maybe the Sierra's...).

If it was me, I'd just run Delo 15W-30 SD. But, that's only because I have a stash.

Redline 10w30 has no vii's per Dave from that company, doubt you will get any shear off that.

Pennzoil oil. Better looking UOAS, cheaper price and a quieter running engine. It's a no brainer to me.
cheers3.gif

It’s a turbo...

Turbo’s require a very specific range of viscosity and additive pack to keep the bearings happy.

Stay within the oil specifications....

5W-30, full synthetic, WSS-M2C946-A...

Last edited:
SPECIFICATIONS
MATERIALS

Name Specification
Recommended motor oil (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP WSS-M2C946-A
Recommended motor oil (Canada): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil CXO-5W30-LSP12 WSS-M2C946-A
Optional motor oil (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil XO-5W30-QFS WSS-M2C946-A
Optional motor oil (Canada): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil CXO-5W30-LFS12

I would follow the Ford spec for your brand new MKZ. I think I would go with Motorcraft 5a30 full synthetic. Campaigner I made this same trip in October. Vermont to Oregon to Calif back to Vermont. Total mileage with sightseeing 8,000.5. Changed oil before I left QSUD 5w30. First time mountaineer went over 5,000 miles on oil. Changed when home and the oil looked like it had 3,000 miles on it. Normally change between 3-5,000 miles. (4.0 with 2 two many timing chains). Have a great trip.

Highway driving is actually very easy on oil. Any good full syn 5w30 will be more than up to the task. Castrol Magnatec has shown especially good UOA's in that engine and is a good buy to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back