Hail damage on the Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
File a claim, it's a comprehensive claim, insurance rates should be fine.

You can then pocket the check if you're ok with the damage or get it fixed.

Actually no you can't. In Texas the insurance company must indemnify the OWNER of the vehicle, which in this case is the lien holder. There are 2 ways to protect the lien holder's interest A) Make the check payable to the lien holder AND the named insured or B) Make the check payable to the named insured AND the repair facility. If the insurance company doesn't do that, and the lien holder repo's the vehicle for whatever reason, the insurance company will have to pay for the damages again.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If this is factory Honda paint, then it simply sucks big time. There should not be any paint chips, especially if the car was covered.
Insurance should cover it, buy you may get increased premium upon renewal.

Also, maybe this is different in US, but in Ontario, Canada just calling insurance to inquire about fixing something can count as a claim. So I would be careful about any inquiries.

Not in Texas, Hail is a comp claim, as such your insurance carrier cannot raise your rates unless you meet certain criteria (like excessive claims). The named insured can cancel (close without pay or CWOP) a claim, however if there is a lien holder, their intrest in the vehicle must be protected. One way to do that is to issue the payment check to the named insured AND the lienholder and mail the claim check to the Lien holder. I really hated doing it that way because the claim would eventually be reopened and the check would have to be returned and re issued to the Named insured and the repair facility. I always explained to an insured the difference between a comp claim and collision claim and 90% of the time the Named insured would request the claim check to be made out to them and the shop and mailed to the shop. That way once the vehicle was repaired the Named insured would go to the shop with their deductible and endorse the check. This also empowered the named insured because it gave them leverage with the shop to make sure the vehicle was repaired to the NI satisfaction.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Something is wrong with the paint for pea sized hale to damage it, Has the hood been refinished at some point?

Yea I agree something is wrong here. in 10 years of writing estimates in Texas for Hail I've never seen hail chip paint like that. If I was the adjuster working this claim I would check the ISO history on the vehicle, and refer this claim to SIU. Hail does not chip paint

I chaulk it up to cheap thin paint. I was talking to a guy who owns a small car lot about my damage and he knew exactly what I was talking about. The cover kept the metal from getting dented but the impact chipped the paint. He said he’d take a look at it for me if I bring it buy and write me a free estimate.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I chaulk it up to cheap thin paint. I was talking to a guy who owns a small car lot about my damage and he knew exactly what I was talking about. The cover kept the metal from getting dented but the impact chipped the paint. He said he’d take a look at it for me if I bring it buy and write me a free estimate.
I wouldn't let a small car lot's body shop do the work.

Find a shop with a high rating online.

The "damage" is definitely not detrimental,it just [censored] me off because I always take really good care of my stuff. But I'm always leery of repaints and bodywork. I've never had good bodywork done. When my 3000GT got hit,I had the Mitsubishi dealership do the repair. After I got the car back,I went over it really well and found new "damage" (scuffs,overspray,scratches,etc) that the careless bodyshop had done. The paint started falling off the front facia/bumper cover all over the place. It was nowhere near the quality of the factory paint job. I ended up trading it on another 3000GT soon thereafter.

My 300ZX got backed into in a parking lot several years ago. When I went to go pick it up,I had to point out a ton of stuff that I wasn't happy with and there's still overspray on several parts.

My biggest concern is that I don't want the paint chips to spread and get larger.

I haven't seen paint chip from hail either. It's good your Z didn't get dinged as the hoods are aluminum. The wife's 2010 Mustang has an aluminum hood too but Ford doesn't seem to prep them right because everywhere there's a paint chip there's also powdery corrosion. Anyway, my son made a claim for hail w/State Farm and his rates didn't go up.

What about something like Dr. Color Chip? It seems to be a great option. Never used it personally, but I've seen several post about it online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back