Some private planes use MB 229.5 engine oil now

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was looking around the web and came upon Diamond Aircraft. They have aircraft that are powered by piston turbo diesel Austro engines. (it actually burns Jet A fuel) Although they have a specific Austro engine oil available made by Liqui Moly I read that you and use any engine oil that has the MB 229.5 certification in 5w-30, 5w-40 or 0w-40.

So this begs the question. If you had a 1 million dollar Diamond DA62 aircraft, what MB 229.5 oil would you feed it at it's 100 hour oil change interval?

Diamond DA62 Link

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Correct answer:

Any oil that meets MB 229.5

Right. But if you wanted one of the best, I'd go with Castrol 0W-40. Also has BMW LL-01 approval which Mobil 1 doesn't. For my Mercedes, I use either, whichever is on sale. Still got a bunch of Castrol and Pennzoil left over when it was $2/quart, otherwise I'd stock up on Mobil 1 0w-40 which now has a $12 rebate on a 5 quart jug.

Or Shell Helix ultra 5w-40 that is very sheer stable oil and have a low noack and have more approval than Castrol.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
.... if you wanted one of the best, I'd go with Castrol 0W-40 - which also has BMW LL-01 approval which Mobil 1 doesn't.

Nice info tidbit..... that might be significant.

Well, GA twins that use engines adapted from MB passenger car diesel engines, as the DA62 does, would use the same oil that the cars use. Not too surprising.
What is surprising is that with only 182 bhp per side, this aircraft is nothing like the dog you might expect. Rate of climb with both turning is strong, there are seven seats in the cabin (think three row SUV with the third row being the penalty seats), there's ample useful load and fuel efficiency is awesome as compared to the old-school Piper and Beech designs, which also use a more costly fuel.
The Beech and the Piper both offer considerably better SE rate of climb, but that's their only real advantage.
The DA62 is priced at market with the Piper Seneca being a little cheaper and the Beech Baron a little dearer.
This is an impressive airplane for the money, although that same money would buy you something very nice and far more capable in a used turboprop.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, GA twins that use engines adapted from MB passenger car diesel engines, as the DA62 does, would use the same oil that the cars use. Not too surprising.
What is surprising is that with only 182 bhp per side, this aircraft is nothing like the dog you might expect. Rate of climb with both turning is strong, there are seven seats in the cabin (think three row SUV with the third row being the penalty seats), there's ample useful load and fuel efficiency is awesome as compared to the old-school Piper and Beech designs, which also use a more costly fuel.
The Beech and the Piper both offer considerably better SE rate of climb, but that's their only real advantage.
The DA62 is priced at market with the Piper Seneca being a little cheaper and the Beech Baron a little dearer.
This is an impressive airplane for the money, although that same money would buy you something very nice and far more capable in a used turboprop.

But a turbine engine would be much more expensive on maintenance, wouldn't it?

Probably so, although the need for really costly work will be much less frequent.
Without even looking, I'll guess that a hot section inspection on either a PT-6A or a Honeywell TPE would run you more than would a factory new Austro, but these are far more powerful engines than the little diesels and are intended to power much larger twins and even singles than the DA62.
OTOH, for less than the price of a new DA62, you could buy a used Cessna 208 and take your whole family plus a number of friends on trips flying almost as fast, and you can't put a DA62 on amphibious floats, which we've seen on 208s in the Caribbean. These make the Caravan look like it's on stilts, which I guess it is.

Since the big ugly engine burns Jet A and not leaded AvGas my choice is Mobil 1
5w30 SN 100% synthetic... not because Mobil sells 85% of the market
share of oil rather its readily available for a good price at the
major chains such as Walmart...

Synthetic or Mineral???

Both Mobil synthetic and non synthetic begin with good old crude
oil... synthetic molecules are made in an extra and expensive level of
refining that produces the highly desired low drag uniform
molecules... compare that with the straight mineral oils undesirable
varying size and high drag molecules... uniform synthetic molecules
flow better than varying size mineral molecules... synthetic oil is
like flying through smooth air where as mineral oil is like flying
through rough air... which one is most desirable for you???

Mineral Oil
XsfK5wc.jpg

Synthetic Oil
nzU4ACx.jpg

Whats the difference between 5w and 10w???

API ranks the first number 5 and the letter W from the oldest to the
newest on its ability to lube your engine during critical start up
where the most wear happens before warm uo...

20w

15w

10w

5w

0w

If you wish to employ the latest in oil technology then you want an one with
an API rank of 0w or close to it...

30 or 40 Grade

Oil drag is real and it will cost you HP... choosing a
30 grade over a 40 grade is smarter because it will:

1)increase HP at the prop...
2)quicken the flow during start up...
3)decrease over all operating temps...
4)increase the oil flow at the critical bearings...

Oil drag in a tube comparison
Vd93WG0.gif

Last edited:
:sigh:

Not this tripe again.

Oil is NOT like little ball bearings...it is NOT "like flying through smooth air or rough air"...Flow is NOT lubrication...most wear happens DURING warmup....we've been OVER and OVER (and OVER) those issue in the motor cycling forum.

And to suggest an automotive ILSAC 30 grade in an aircraft diesel engine is essentially negligence.

If you stuff the clutch on Mr Honda, you are stuck at the side of the road. If you stuff an aircraft engine, you don't have the luxury of being stuck up in the air.

I would hate to put Mobil1 SN rated oil in engines that would cost $60,000 or more to replace especially when you are 10,000 feet above the ground.

Now if I wanted to make this conversation exciting I would give the nod to Amsoil 5w-40 European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic Motor Oil. It actually has some nice approvals. Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00, MB-Approval 229.5; Porsche A40.

According to https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

Mobil 1 5W-30FS is listed on the MB229.5
Specifications and Approvals
Mobil 1 FS 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
5W-30 API SN Engine test requirements

Amsoil rep states in this video that Mobil 1 0w30 is the base oil
to all their auto synthetics and Mobil 1 5w30 is the base to all
their diesel synthetics... in their view M1 is the premium POA... but
its up to you whether you want to spend $12.95 qt for Amsoil or $5.40
qt Mobil 1...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Some, if not most, Mobil 1 oil is made from
natural gas, GTL tech.

Gas-To-Liquid GTL tech

Shell PurePlus Technology produces base oil from natural gas, instead
of crude oil. Compared to traditional base oils, this base oil
provides a uniform molecular structure from which to create Shell
Helix Ultra.

Please put the pipe down BLS. He didn't say anything even close to that in his sales pitch. (it's toward the end of the video)

Anyway, the Austro AE330 2.0L diesel engine is essentially an aircraft-adapted MB OM654, thus the 229.5 oil spec. M1 5W30 instead?
06.gif

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Mobil 1 5W-30FS is listed on the MB229.5
Specifications and Approvals
Mobil 1 FS 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
5W-30 API SN Engine test requirements

LOL, that's not the oil that you were referring to in the initial instance is it...You were referring to the the 5W30 ILSAC in your Mr Honda.

Here's Mobil's offerings in the US
https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back