Trying Shell V-Power

I started scanning the 200+ posts on this fuel and additives topic looking for some answers to my questions but gave up. So at the risk of opening up a well beaten subject here goes:

I will be running Shell V-Power in my 95 Mercury 4.6 2V for the next while. The questions I hope to answer are:

1. Will gas mileage improve (even slightly) because the car's engine control computer will make adjustments for the higher octane 91 (was running 87) ? The thinking here is that more volatility equals less volume of fuel required. Does the computer have this capability or does it just adjust only when it gets a knock signal ?

2. My go to gas was Pioneer which is not on the "Top Tier" list whereas Shell is. Shell and all Top Tier fuels, have more detergents which should help clean injectors, intake valves, comb. chambers, spark plugs, etc. Should I expect easier starts, smoother idle, better acceleration and the like ?

3. Probably the most compelling reason to try a 91 octane fuel is to eliminate ethanol use for my (older) car in particular. Much has been written on the pros and cons of ethanol and I am in the cons camp, mostly because of it's negative effects on fuel systems and engines. This is not really a question that can be readily answered by trial and observation. However, my research indicates that ethanol was introduced as a fuel supplement around 95/96. So my 95 car was not designed to use it. I don't know what design changes were made for E85 cars, so I don't know if ethanol is doing harm to my non-E85 vehicle. I guess that is kind of a question.

Try it out. My old Explorer showed no benefit for my buying 93 as opposed to 87 at Costco. But my 2016 Edge 2.0 comes alive on 93 octane. Some vehicles seem to benefit while others don't.

I would say yes but for none of the reasons you state.

I believe shell has a ucl in their additive which will give you the differences indicated but mainly the smoothness is noticeable .

One of my cars is sensitive and I can tell the differences in fuels. where shell is slightly smoother than others.

I notice the similar smoothness when using a maintenance dose of si1 for a tank or even the second diluted tank so it is not something special to shell, its just ucl.

Ultimately be a scientist and just try it for a few tanks. Write down your hypothesis and how you intend to evaluate.

As far as fuel economy, it may technically also improve but at such a small value that it won't be measurable. like 1% or less (assuming only vpower change not ethanol %)

Last edited:
If your 91 is ethanol free, you'll see better mpg due to the pure gas. I highly doubt the computer in your '95 4.6 will advance timing to take advantage of the higher octane fuel though.

Last edited:
Been using V-power 98 nitro for 3 years. And its works good
smile.gif
BTW do you have any higher than 91 octane in US?

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
smile.gif

European octane ratings are calculated slightly differently. Yielding a higher number. I can get 93 here or Sunoco 100 racing gas.

Last edited:
smile.gif

Euro 98 (RON) is equivalent to 93 here (RON + MON/2).

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
smile.gif

Yes it is =), so you get 93 V-Power then in US?

smile.gif

Yes it is =), so you get 93 V-Power then in US?

Yes, the Eastern US usually has 93 for high test. Out West they usually have 91 or 92 as standard high test.

Originally Posted By: bumpasmerc
my research indicates that ethanol was introduced as a fuel supplement around '95/'96.

Maybe where you are!

10% ethanol blended gasoline has been available in Iowa/Nebraska since the late 1970's.

So my 95 car was not designed to use it. I don't know what design changes were made for E85 cars, so I don't know if ethanol is doing harm to my non-E85 vehicle. I guess that is kind of a question.

No..... I often add 5-7 gallons of E-85 to my 1996 Mustang GT 4.6 to stop pinging.
It runs the same... just gets much worse MPG when I do.

If your 91 is ethanol free, you'll see better mpg due to the pure gas. I highly doubt the computer in your '95 4.6 will advance timing to take advantage of the higher octane fuel though.

EXACTLY!!!

The 99 Camry had worse fuel economy. About 2 mpg less. I only did it to lock myself into Shell's Gold fuel reward status. I want to see if the 14 would have any increase with the 10.4:1 compression and Dual VVT.

I tried both 87 and 93 and didn't notice any difference in power or economy only thing i really noticed is weight reduction of my wallet. Shell gas in my state is lack luster anyway and can contain up to 20% ethanol on the regular pump.

I am left a bit confused.

The higher octane will probably not cause the ignition timing to be advanced, which is what normally optimizes fuel economy (among other factors). The engine computer does not recognize octane levels except for knock sensing.

But fuel economy should nevertheless increase (slightly) due to the fuel being "pure fuel" rather than fuel diluted with ethanol.

Does the "pure fuel" with greater octane, simply increase combustion pressure regardless of ignition timing, resulting in better fuel efficiency ? If so, why isn't this phenomenon common to all engines ?

Originally Posted By: jakewells
I tried both 87 and 93 and didn't notice any difference in power or economy only thing i really noticed is weight reduction of my wallet. Shell gas in my state is lack luster anyway and can contain up to 20% ethanol on the regular pump.

Kentucky allows 20% ethanol!? That is ridiculous. I thought it was 10% everywhere.

I usually use Shell V-power in my Fiesta. It can run on regular, but with turbo-DI, I'll take the extra margin of safety of higher octane. It gets 38+MPG on the stuff, anyway.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
One of my cars is sensitive and I can tell the differences in fuels. where shell is slightly smoother than others.

The same applies to my G37, but it is also equally happy on Esso fuel. The old truck doesn't care, as long as it somewhat smells like gas.
wink.gif

To the OP, do note you may get some benefit out of running Top Tier gas all the time, not even premium, necessarily, just running the recommended grade. Top Tier isn't always at a price premium.

I am left a bit confused.

The higher octane will probably not cause the ignition timing to be advanced, which is what normally optimizes fuel economy (among other factors). The engine computer does not recognize octane levels except for knock sensing.

But fuel economy should nevertheless increase (slightly) due to the fuel being "pure fuel" rather than fuel diluted with ethanol.

Does the "pure fuel" with greater octane, simply increase combustion pressure regardless of ignition timing, resulting in better fuel efficiency ? If so, why isn't this phenomenon common to all engines ?

No.

Running higher octane fuel "can" result in timing being advanced by the ECU "if" it has been previously retarded due to heavy ping/knock being detected by the sensors. Only having higher octane alone will not increase power or efficiency.

Let's say the ECU has pulled back timing due to a knock being detected. After that knock event, the ECU will gradually add back timing if no more knocking is detected. As far as how long that process would take...I'd sure like to know. You'd probably have to talk to the guy who programmed the fueling of the individual car model, to find that out.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: jakewells

Kentucky allows 20% ethanol!? That is ridiculous. I thought it was 10% everywhere.

I usually use Shell V-power in my Fiesta. It can run on regular, but with turbo-DI, I'll take the extra margin of safety of higher octane. It gets 38+MPG on the stuff, anyway.

I will put it this way some days it test 5% other days 20% but the pump does say contains up to 10%. I use marathon for a reason the ethanol content is no higher than 8% most days it is 5% my truck runs like $%&* on excessive amounts of ethanol.

Back