Fixed My Pulsating Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brakes have pulsated for a while now and I've just lived with it. But recently I got a front-end alignment after I had new tires installed and now my brakes don't pulsate anymore. I wasn't aware of this...were you ?

Yes, its a very common and often overlooked problem. The brakes were probably not the issue in this case, but corrosion buildup on the back of the wheels where it sits on the rotor face.
You need to clean the back of the wheels especially aluminum ones. there are a few ways of doing this depending on what tools you have available and the amount of corrosion.

I use a 2" Roloc disk on an angle die grinder but a wire wheel on a drill will do, I usually finish with a 5 or 6 inch orbital sander with a 150 grit paper on low.
Hold it dead center and just move it slightly, it ensures the mounting surface is flat. Don't forget the center hole, a small wire wheel is best for this.
A smear of never seize thinly applied with a finger will prevent it from further corrosion until the wheel is removed again.

I had the wife's tires rotated at Discount Tire and they rebalance them and do the above mentioned cleaning of the hub and wheel

Wifes HHR got "pad deposits" on the rotors.

That awful car also had a bad intermediate steering shaft, and worn-out lower control arm bushings.

I could do a brake job and it would be mint for 500 miles. Then the slightest brake judder would get amplified by the shoddy front end.

Tight front end forced the brakes to do their own self-cleaning job and not get stuck in a harmonic resonance.

If the mounting surface was not perfectly flat when the new rotors were installed, you'd notice the pulsing brakes right away. I have pulsing brakes, but they weren't doing it right after I installed them. It came on slower over time, so I think my problem is more than likely something adhering itself on the braking surface of the rotors...

I've seen pad deposits build up slowly on the rotor and cause the wobbling. Usually if you take it out and do several hard, almost lockup 50-5 mph stops and get the rotors good and hot (smoking) it will cure the problem.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
My brakes have pulsated for a while now and I've just lived with it. But recently I got a front-end alignment after I had new tires installed and now my brakes don't pulsate anymore. I wasn't aware of this...were you ?

No brake work, that eliminates pad deposits and all the rest of it. They removed the wheels, balanced them and if they did it right cleaned the back of the wheels mounting area then did an alignment.
Alignment can cause or exacerbate a lot of symptoms but AFAIK not create pulsation that comes from rotating parts and what rotating part did they touch, the wheels.

Hey you might be right but I don't think so. JMHO which wont buy the morning coffee.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I've seen pad deposits build up slowly on the rotor and cause the wobbling. Usually if you take it out and do several hard, almost lockup 50-5 mph stops and get the rotors good and hot (smoking) it will cure the problem.

I guess my question would be, what's in the pads that leaves deposits on the rotor? Is it cheap pads, or do they all do it?

Originally Posted By: grampi

I guess my question would be, what's in the pads that leaves deposits on the rotor? Is it cheap pads, or do they all do it?
Cheap pads will certainly cause this but I've had the problem with quality performance brake pads too. Driving style and automatic transmissions make this worse.

Cheap pads will certainly cause this but I've had the problem with quality performance brake pads too. Driving style and automatic transmissions make this worse.

What material is coming from the pads that adheres itself to the rotors?

After the alignment, did the mechanic took it out for a test drive? Were you in the car during the test drive?

Astute readers might figure out where I am going with this questioning :)

If the mounting surface was not perfectly flat when the new rotors were installed, you'd notice the pulsing brakes right away. I have pulsing brakes, but they weren't doing it right after I installed them. It came on slower over time, so I think my problem is more than likely something adhering itself on the braking surface of the rotors...

I got pulsating brakes 10,000 km after I put ceramic pads on my BMW.

The piston side of the rotor was badly scored. So if the brakes are relatively new check both sides of the rotor to see what's going on.

I think it was a bad pad or perhaps I forgot to clean the anti-rust oil coating prior to installation?

It's a mystery to say the least...I removed the wheels and had the tires installed at WM. I doubt they cleaned off any corrosion off the wheel. Maybe it had to do with the uneven wear of the tires but I didn't notice the brakes working any better after the new ones were installed.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
After the alignment, did the mechanic took it out for a test drive? Were you in the car during the test drive?

Astute readers might figure out where I am going with this questioning :)

Beat it like a rented mule? I'm shocked that any tech would do that to a customer's car.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back