Misguided youth, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, or a good swift kick in the [censored] when they're young and first start acting up.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Yes, or a good swift kick in the [censored] when they're young and first start acting up.

Parenting now days, I dunno----Look around---- think I will get me a nose ring..lmao.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Parenting now days, I dunno----Look around---- think I will get me a nose ring..lmao.

I hear ya! I do look around, and scratch my head in amazement.

As a hunter and gun owner, I think people who have guns in their house should have them safely locked away. Failure to do so leads to the kind of incident described above. All guns should be kept in a locked container such as a gun safe. I do believe that people that don't keep their guns locked away when there are children, grandchildren, relatives or neighborhood kids in the house should be held legally liable for failing to secure their weapons. The father of this boy should be charged with a crime.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
As a hunter and gun owner, I think people who have guns in their house should have them safely locked away. Failure to do so leads to the kind of incident described above. All guns should be kept in a locked container such as a gun safe. I do believe that people that don't keep their guns locked away when there are children, grandchildren, relatives or neighborhood kids in the house should be held legally liable for failing to secure their weapons. The father of this boy should be charged with a crime.

01.gif

Back in the day if a cop caught you making mischief he brought you home for the old man to give you a good arse whipping, today the cop will arrest the old man if he even threatens to touch the kid and let the kid off the hook.

Parent don't/cant teach the difference between right and wrong anymore when the schools teach them everything is right and their parents are wrong then tell these kids to go home a educate their parents.
Its a sad world we are living in.

I think the locking up of guns in the household is appropriate depending on the situation. It would have prevented this event, but what would have also prevented it is if the kid retained any shred of sense from his parent(s). There was never a time in my parents' home that there wasn't a loaded gun in the glass-fronted gun case, but I understood they were not toys and didn't want to know what would befall me if I disobeyed and got one out - after a certain age (16?), without asking first.

Another dynamic is the dramatization/glorification of gun-related events without appropriate education about it - which should be between a parent and their child. Shootings on TV shows, movies, the news... it may be wrong, but the bravado is still present and this kid was clearly wanting some of his own yet lacked understanding that his way of trying to get it was dangerous, unecessary, and wouldn't accomplish being "powerful" and "cool", in a positive way, in the first place.

Something I've analyzed lately: how would the map of future gun-related events (shootings, potential shootings) change if instead of the nonstop media onslaught for days or weeks after ever one, instead, say, the president spoke immediately and said something like, "This is an unspeakably violent, tragic event, and in committing it the perpetrator displayed themselves as such a low form of life, deserving of no respect and lacking any humanity, that their name does not bare mention and in respect of those affected there will be no more widespread coverage of this event." See if little Johnny thinks that's a "cool and powerful" thing to emulate, then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alex_V

Another dynamic is the dramatization/glorification of gun-related events without appropriate education about it - which should be between a parent and their child. Shootings on TV shows, movies, the news... it may be wrong, but the bravado is still present and this kid was clearly wanting some of his own yet lacked understanding that his way of trying to get it was dangerous, unecessary, and wouldn't accomplish being "powerful" and "cool", in a positive way, in the first place.

The article specifically said that the kid wanted to to this after listening to rap music.

I don't watch much tv, but it seems that so many shows also portray weapons, shooting, etc. I'm sure many of the actors are "outraged", but not sufficiently to stop taking a paycheck.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The article specifically said that the kid wanted to to this after listening to rap music.

I don't watch much tv, but it seems that so many shows also portray weapons, shooting, etc. I'm sure many of the actors are "outraged", but not sufficiently to stop taking a paycheck.

Oooh, this is when you say, "Don't shout me down just 'cuz I'm preaching good!"
laugh.gif

My kids know to leave the weapons alone. It's the dogs I worry about. I'm not joking. I had a friend/neighbor who walked into his bedroom one day to find his lab puppy chewing on a Smith & Wesson J-frame snubbie...If he had gotten a tooth in the trigger guard, it could readily have discharged. Try explaining that one.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Back in the day if a cop caught you making mischief he brought you home for the old man to give you a good arse whipping, today the cop will arrest the old man if he even threatens to touch the kid and let the kid off the hook.

Parent don't/cant teach the difference between right and wrong anymore when the schools teach them everything is right and their parents are wrong then tell these kids to go home a educate their parents.
Its a sad world we are living in.
That is a big +1 Trav.

Here u go,,,riding bicycles in the neighborhood, all but gone, playing outside with neighborhood kids, all but gone, picnics,,maybe all but gone, boardgames at home, most likely gone, hiking and walking with the family,,,may still be in vogue, church and Sunday school...I dunno...

Family reunions, may be to complicated with many spouses married over 3 or 4 tiimes,,its complicated,,,maybe all but gone. The above is only IMHO....I could be in left field, Idunno...

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
My kids know to leave the weapons alone. It's the dogs I worry about. I'm not joking. I had a friend/neighbor who walked into his bedroom one day to find his lab puppy chewing on a Smith & Wesson J-frame snubbie...If he had gotten a tooth in the trigger guard, it could readily have discharged. Try explaining that one.

no thats a good one.
thumbsup2.gif

Here u go,,,riding bicycles in the neighborhood, all but gone, playing outside with neighborhood kids, all but gone, picnics,,maybe all but gone, boardgames at home, most likely gone, hiking and walking with the family,,,may still be in vogue, church and Sunday school...I dunno...

Family reunions, may be to complicated with many spouses married over 3 or 4 tiimes,,its complicated,,,maybe all but gone. The above is only IMHO....I could be in left field, Idunno...

^^This!!

The decline of the nuclear family is what's rotting society.

Originally Posted By: Boomer

Yet when I was a kid there were rifles and shotguns in racks on the wall in the family room, ammunition usually in a chest or bookcase nearby. Same in most of my friends homes. We knew from an early age what firearms were for and not to play with them, and never really paid much attention to them. It never would have crossed my mind to play with them, they were just objects on a wall you hardly noticed, until we would go shooting or hunting somewhere.

My dad remembers him and his friends taking .22 rifles to school with him, which were placed in a closet until the end of the school day when they would go plinking right after school. No one would have even thought about shooting someone because they understood what that meant. Schoolyard slights were settled with a fistfight at most, usually a good stare down settled things.

When you raise kids to be responsible around firearms, they will behave responsibly around them. Shield kids from firearms, and they become some forbidden taboo, much more likely to explore when they shouldn't.

Firearms are objects, just as knives, hatchets, machetes, anything pointy and sharp etc. When are we going to start locking away everything that can be harmful? If you know your kids are responsible enough to not cause mischief with any of these other objects, why would they suddenly not be responsible around a firearm? And who is responsible for this failing? Don't pass the blame onto guns or other gun owners.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I blame parents, not the schools. Discipline your kid and raise them right..the rest usually falls in place.

Schools have taken it upon themselves to undermine the authority, wishes and beliefs of parents. Schools and teachers should be banned by law from teaching anything except the basics.

When I was very young, there were firearms in the house. Always was one "ready to go" as in having a full magazine inserted but an empty chamber. Living and growing up on a farm, you always needed one in that condition for getting rid of groundhogs or other feral animals. This is long before our storage laws came into being. I knew how to use them but never dared to touch them unless told to by an adult. Tell that to people today and they have horrified looks on their faces. I never really thought anything of it, they were just a tool that was a part of everyday life on a farm.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/07/stu...rities-say.html

Homeschooling may be the answer for some...

Nothing new. I remember in 1986 seeing a gun, knife at school and drugs at school. It was fine. On guns some folks had a rifle in their gun rack of pickup parked at school parking lot. Did not think twice about it.

None of weapons were loaded. That take some special idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back