Which gas powered string trimmer do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old Echo expired this week and I replaced it with a new Stihl FS 131. I switched brands because I got tired of messing with the carb on the ECHO. I replaced it several times over the years but it has always needed attention. I even broke down and had a small engine shop tune it up once and they did no better than I've done. So it's time to move on. I have no idea yet if I made a good move with the Stihl but with all the spring growth here I'm going to find out. I hope it does because this new weed whacker was more expensive than a box store Echo.

I use a 10 year old Poulan Pro 333 with a larger engine (32cc) than I can easily get today. It was originally designed to use an oddball 0.115" string, I use a twisted 0.110" string I can only find at Sears in it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001PKU5IQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I got this as a safety award originally so I can't complain on the price. In 10 years it's only needed a new ignition coil 2 summers ago.

Last edited:
Had a homelite that I used for a sold 15 years, and when some plastic junk broke, replaced it with another .

Latter had a clutch, which with it's not being hugely powerful to begin with was annoying.

So when we bought the new place, I got one of these...

product-image--stub-92448111bf.gif

65cc, 3 and a bit hp, peak at 4.

I've had Stihl trimmers since I started mowing grass when I was a kid. My dad got fed up with his old FS36 (Circa 2002?) and threw it across a yard. I put it back together, rebuilt the carb, and got it going. I think I was only 11-12 at the time. It was about 10 years old at the time and lasted me until 2007. I bought my now Stihl FS46. Its only needed 1 carb rebuild (2015), 1 spark plug, and I had to remove the spark arrestor in the muffler. The thing keeps chugging along!

Had all that kind of stuff thru the years, I got older, sold the place, now someone does all that where we live now,,I do not miss all that mess, but youth has an emotional grip on us when we are young and we gotta have that stuff,,,been there and done that..

I just use my cheap green Poulan P1500 trimmer. I’ve had it for about 7 years now and it still runs good. Of course I drilled out the baffle in the muffler and adjusted the H-L screws for the best performance from that little engine. It runs like a raped ape, four stroking in the light stuff, then leaning out and digging in harder in heavier weeds. Of course it’s cheap, and I’m surprised the drive cable hasn’t snapped yet. But so far it keeps chugging.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I have the Echo PAS-225, which I picked up from Home Depot a couple years ago. Extremely happy with it so far.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Pro-Att...225SB/204667049

echo-gas-string-trimmers-pas-225sb-64_1000.jpg

I think that’s the one we have had for 3 or 4 years. Always works great . I have a Echo chain saw much longer and it too works fantastic. Of course neither have dined on a steady diet of ethanol. Those small carbs just won’t last with that stuff.

I have a husqvarna string trimmer and a stihl stick edger.

The husquvarna is a good deal lighter and less bulky in the engine area.

Both are two stroke.

When my older Craftsman 2 cycle weed whacker bit the dust I looked around and got a Milwaukee cordless trimmer. Uses M18 batteries I already had. It's a great grass trimmer and significantly better than a Black & Decker cordless trimmer (internal battery) that someone gave me for birthday.

When my older Craftsman 2 cycle weed whacker bit the dust I looked around and got a Milwaukee cordless trimmer. Uses M18 batteries I already had. It's a great grass trimmer and significantly better than a Black & Decker cordless trimmer (internal battery) that someone gave me for birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back