Ecoboost 3.5 V6 shearing comparo 3 oils (PU once)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me either but i know we have a lot of EB owners on here. Would have loved to see Magnatec in this comparison.
wink.gif

I was already running 5w40 in my ecoboost over the shear (and or fuel diluted oil) business …

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Very useful thanks...not that I can do anything with it.

Would love to see flashpoint.

It's a good datapoint, and I'm 100% convinced the modern crop of direct injected, high boost engines need sufficient viscosity for long life, regardless of brand. The viscosity loss is being seen on other similar engines/brands, including the new Honda 1.5L turbo.

EDIT: I'm running 10W-30 M1 EP in my 2011 Ecoboost, and the oil is clearly not up to the task by 5000 miles.

Remarkably, some ecoboost owners are amazed that their engines use no oil what so ever, over oil change intervals well beyond the recommended interval. What they fail to realize is that a good portion of what is in the sump, is simply the less volatile components of gasoline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Remarkably, some ecoboost owners are amazed that their engines use no oil what so ever, over oil change intervals well beyond the recommended interval. What they fail to realize is that a good portion of what is in the sump, is simply the less volatile components of gasoline.

I'd like to see some really GOOD lab results confirm/refute this statement.

I just had to ask myself what I thought those torque dense 3.5L engines would be FF with across the pond …

So, since I don’t need 0w ... ran 5w40 …
It was that are spend the money on UOA’s ... had seen enough of them …

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Cujet

I'd like to see some really GOOD lab results confirm/refute this statement.

Me too...and what do you define as “the recommended interval”? Ford recommends following the OLM, which at maximum is 10,000 miles. How many owners do you know going beyond 10,000 miles?

I have two UOA’s with Mobil 1 5W-30 and both had sheared down to a 20 weigh oil and two Schaeffer 5W-30 that stayed in spec. However, my iron count on the M1 was better than the Schaeffer. What is worse? More wear metals or thin oil?

So the guy who works this the hardest saw what I saw … UOA very early so I speed read past lots of reads and find him…
Folks … even if you have to run OEM spec oil for the first 20k and change early to “feel safe” … wait a bit on these UOA’s …
No oil will stop the break in process and no owner should want to …
The first 500-1000 miles is brakes, gas peddle, etc … that’s just the vehicle break in for the engine break in …

I do know that Ford tested several eccoboost motors with used extremely depleted motor oil and ran the tar out of them! The result after tear down was the engine wear compared to fresh oil testing was insignificant the used oil showed little to no wear over the fresh oil tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back