Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum NOACK values

Shell removed the NOACK information from their GTL-based PurePlus oils shortly after they published their PDS's. I've found this info on some blog and I'm posting them for reference purposes here:

PP: Old Pennzoil Platinum
PUP: Old Penzoil Ultra
PPPP: New Penzpoil Platinum with PurePlus
PUPPP: New Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus

All are API SN (not SN Plus).

NOACK values (%)

PP 0W-20: 14.0%
PP 5W-20: 13.2%
PP 5W-30: 12.5%
PP 10W-30: 9.7%

PUP 5W-30: 6.6%
PUP 10W-30: 4.8%

PPPP 0W-20: 10.8%
PPPP 5W-20: 8.6%
PPPP 5W-30: 10.1%
PPPP 10W-30: 4.7%

PUPPP 5W-20: 10+%
PUPPP 5W-30: 11.5%
PUPPP 10W-30: 5.7%

SVT Performance blog

Additions and corrections are welcome.

Far more important liquids to get past a Texas summer …
wink.gif

Source is 2014 SVT site and additions and corrections are welcome?

The volatility number for Shell GTL is the number 5 … as in 5th … lots of eggs in that basket …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Source is 2014 SVT site and additions and corrections are welcome?

The volatility number for Shell GTL is the number 5 … as in 5th … lots of eggs in that basket …

I'm not sure what you mean. As I said Shell removed the NOACK info shortly after publishing them in 2014 but these guys were kind enough to copy and paste them on their blog before that happened.

New dexos1 Gen 2 and SN Plus formulations are appearing and the values will change again very soon.

Originally Posted By: webfors
This makes me want PPPP 10w30 for summer!

If you have a good cooling system... it won't matter.

So was that before or after the plant shut down? … these are real questions when you have all your eggs in one basket … and for us that basket must move from the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Mexico …

So the PP 5w30 euro and 0w40 Euro were in the clearance aisle again … I got some PP euro 30 ... that’s the “gap” in my stash ! When did those come out ? After 2014?

I’m holding a fair amount of 40’s … but Valvoline 5w40 MST for $3/quart was harder to pass over …

So was that before or after the plant shut down? … these are real questions when you have all your eggs in one basket … and for us that basket must move from the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Mexico …

Shell had to reduce the output of the Qatar Pearl GTL plant for maintenance about a year ago and then resumed full operation a few months later. There wasn't a full shutdown as far as I know.

So the PP 5w30 euro and 0w40 Euro were in the clearance aisle again … I got some PP euro 30 ... that’s the “gap” in my stash ! When did those come out ? After 2014?

I’m holding a fair amount of 40’s … but Valvoline 5w40 MST for $3/quart was harder to pass over …

Shell's GTL-based oils should say PurePlus on the bottle. Although, in the past they used surplus GTL base oil even in Pennzoil yellow bottles etc.

Yes … they attempt to conduct planned shut downs one train at a time … (regardless of GTL, LNG, or Chardonnay) … this is how planned “shuts” go (outside of single point failures) and unplanned get more “interesting” (let’s say) when you engineer such dependency and an asset ages … geopolitics mission creeps etc …
Transportation is also a unique risk to go all in like this … (5th) … we’ll see …

Shell has certainly taken an "In for a penny, in for a pound" philosophy to the extreme in the Pearl facility. Who knows if it will ever show a positive return over the typical 20 year depreciation life used for such assets.

I'm still not convinced excess GTL base stock was used in non-premium Shell products, as no one has ever explained where the XHVI base stock displaced by GTL production wound up, especially the low NOACK stuff used to formulate PU.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: webfors
This makes me want PPPP 10w30 for summer!

Or if you live in the South or Southwest, you can use it year-round.
wink.gif

I've had PPPP 10w-30 in single digits F temps. Nothing to report. Cold engine acted normal. Delo 15w-30 also ran fine in low teens.

I'm confused, I got up early. The source is from 2014? If so how do we know the current numbers are still in play in 2018? For real, not opinions as to if they are or aren't the same now?

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Although, in the past they used surplus GTL base oil even in Pennzoil yellow bottles etc.

That was BITOG speculation and never confirmed by Shell.

Sometimes I love diving into the minutiae of oil chemistry to posit and calculate the "best" oil for my vehicles, then at other times I come to my senses and just pick one, pour it in, and focus on more important things.

In the end, does it really matter?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
In the end, does it really matter?

Using what I perceive to be the best oil I can buy in my vehicles gives me piece of mind. Does that matter? Yes. What matters to one individual may mean nothing at all to another. It is purely personal.

Back