Pennzoil Platinum D1G2 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: webfors
What's with the drop in flash, decrease in hot viscosity, but worse cold pumping numbers?

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f...c-Motor-Oil.pdf

http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/c18eb3e5-7a5f-4471-88a5-1291276dea89.pdf

I'm looking forward to seeing PP D1G2 UOAs.

I've just calculated the A_Harman index. (See calculation of the A_Harman index.) Closer to 1.000 is better. 1.000 means no VII.

PPPP 5W-30 assuming HTHSV = 3.1 cP: A_Harman index = 0.931
PPPP 5W-30 dexos 1 Gen 2 assuming HTHSV = 3.1 cP: A_Harman index = 0.975

Both are solid oils with little VII but PPPP dexos1 Gen 2 seems exceptional. Even if I assume HTHSV = 3.0 cP, I get A_Harman index = 0.944, larger than the non-dexos1-Gen-2 formulation.

dexos1 Gen 2 requires thicker base oil for protection of the timing chain in TGDI engines. (See Do you think that's thick oil? Think again?) So, they used a thicker base oil (larger CCS) and less VII to achieve similar KV100 viscosity for the blended oil for similar protection of the bearings but greater protection of the valvetrain, timing chain, rings, and so on.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: webfors
What's with the drop in flash, decrease in hot viscosity, but worse cold pumping numbers?

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f...c-Motor-Oil.pdf

http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/c18eb3e5-7a5f-4471-88a5-1291276dea89.pdf

I'm looking forward to seeing PP D1G2 UOAs.

I've just calculated the A_Harman index. (See calculation of the A_Harman index.) Closer to 1.000 is better. 1.000 means no VII.

PPPP 5W-30 assuming HTHSV = 3.1 cP: A_Harman index = 0.931
PPPP 5W-30 dexos 1 Gen 2 assuming HTHSV = 3.1 cP: A_Harman index = 0.975

Both are solid oils with little VII but PPPP dexos1 Gen 2 seems exceptional. Even if I assume HTHSV = 3.0 cP, I get A_Harman index = 0.944, larger than the non-dexos1-Gen-2 formulation.

dexos1 Gen 2 requires thicker base oil for protection of the timing chain in TGDI engines. (See Do you think that's thick oil? Think again?) So, they used a thicker base oil (larger CCS) and less VII to achieve similar KV100 viscosity for the blended oil for similar protection of the bearings but greater protection of the valvetrain, timing chain, rings, and so on.

Interesting! I haven't spent much time catching up on the latest knowledge trends at BITOG.

So there should be less focus on KV100 viscosity, and more focus on base oil viscosity, with a desire for less VII. I recall a day when oil with very high VI were the jewel of BITOG. Times are a changing...

*I'm almost 4,000 miles in on my last change of PPPP 5W30 DEXOS 1 Gen 2 in my 2017 non - turbo 2.4 L GDI Sonata . I'm not sure how much extra protection I get since I have non - turbo GDI ? I will say it runs smooth with zero consumption (low NOACK ?) as compared to factory fill and syn blend the dealer put in (now have 14K miles on the vehicle). I believe this new Pennzoil has to be as good (or better) than any other WM bought oils .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
*I'm almost 4,000 miles in on my last change of PPPP 5W30 DEXOS 1 Gen 2 in my 2017 non - turbo 2.4 L GDI Sonata ...

I use the same oil in our 2.4 L DI Tuscon (same engine I think) and its running quiet according to my wife. I think I had to add a little oil maybe 6 fl oz or less in almost 6K miles. I didn't have to add oil since the oil was just a little from top mark but I like to keep it full ... the car has 60K + on it.

It's also still Euro ACEA A5/B5 rated, which is a good spec and not all oils carry it.

It's KV100 at 9.8 cSt is so close to the 20 grade / 30 grade border that I would be tempted to use it in both 5W30 and 5W20 applications. Even 0W20 if not super cold.

There is no NOACK in the datasheet. I have the old (2014?) NOACK from another thread.
Does anyone have the 2017 or 2018 NOACK for the 5W-30 and 10W-30?

Originally Posted By: OilUzer
There is no NOACK in the datasheet. I have the old (2014?) NOACK from another thread.

Not sure anyone knows for sure. It's definitely not published by Shell.

I'd also like to know this info, as well as the starting TBN.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I'd also like to know this info, as well as the starting TBN.
wink.gif

I believe that SOPUS told us that their NOACK loss test methodology is so poor that they're ashamed to give us the results.
;^)
OK, I stretched the truth slightly there...

5K miles on an OCI is about all I would want to drive on any oil (even preferred synthetic) with a DI engine (5K OCI is my limit in mixed driving) ...
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
*I'm almost 4,000 miles in on my last change of PPPP 5W30 DEXOS 1 Gen 2 in my 2017 non - turbo 2.4 L GDI Sonata ...

I use the same oil in our 2.4 L DI Tuscon (same engine I think) and its running quiet according to my wife. I think I had to add a little oil maybe 6 fl oz or less in almost 6K miles. I didn't have to add oil since the oil was just a little from top mark but I like to keep it full ... the car has 60K + on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back