Both EPA threads locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

21.gif

Not bucking the rules, but both threads, imo, were locked way too soon.

I know it's been talked about before so this is only a suggestion.

Have/has the owners/mods ever considered a sub section for these types of threads? I am not just talking about another section/spot on the site but rather one where you would also need to log into it separately from the main one with new/seperate password.

Being as we are all adults (Most likely) if one chooses to log into this subsection, they are forbidden to whine or complain to the owners/mods if they get called bad names or something that upsets them. Enter at your own risk but accept full responsibility for doing so. If you don't like what is being discussed/talked about, just leave, it is as simple as that.
Set out rules where no personal/sexual/family/addresses, etc, and no pics of members are displayed/talked about, and let people discuss things as they seem fit.
It can be classified as an "Adult/Mature, non sexual section/debate section for those that choose to play.

Meant to add: Whatever is being discussed/debated/argued in there, stays in there, it is not brought out to the main sections. If you have a beef with someone or something, it stays there. If that rule is broken, then the poster gets a vacation.
Kinda like, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas sort of thing.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
You'll be making it three.
wink.gif
The first did dip to politics. The second would have, since it was a resuscitation of a closed thread. As for having subforums where this would be allowed, the problem is that it starts fights between people here who aren't otherwise fighting, and arguments inevitably spill into other threads where they don't belong. The arguments even flow in subtly, and colour the proper debate.

Me too. I had some additional comments to add on the EPA thread which I thought would round out the picture of the issue, but the lock came down.
EPA and CAFE threads are inherently political, so are always going to be subject to heated emotion. But if the moderator can delete posts that are excessively inflammatory or name-calling, perhaps some of these threads can be kept alive.

What say?

I go to the gym that made news for turning off all forms of cable news. While we need, more than ever, to engage politically, all we seem capable of doing is throwing our poop at each other. BITOG is no exception, and many of the comments I've seen are so thoughtless I support locking the threads.

Do people really complain? The one I started on CAFE is still open, but it's sorta dead now.

I do agree the moderation is a little overboard on here. People get bent out of shape and leave due to the threads. Or people get bent out of shape due to the moderation. It ultimately doesn't really matter. I've been on other forums where the moderators just kill spam and stuff that's just way out of line, but otherwise let it go and no one leaves due to the content of the forums or complains about moderation.

But it's their system so they can do whatever they like.

Who wants to moderate such a thread? I have kids who fight, I do what I can to keep them apart. Why would I want to expend the additional energy to have them wrestle only to have me blow whistles every 10 seconds for sportsmanship issues?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Who wants to moderate such a thread? I have kids who fight, I do what I can to keep them apart. Why would I want to expend the additional energy to have them wrestle only to have me blow whistles every 10 seconds for sportsmanship issues?

That is why alternative tech is rising. While places like Facebook, Twitter,internet forums, Youtube censor themselves out of buisness.

Why do you think Cable, OTA T.V. and Radio are not leading the paradigm shift? As censorship increases people will freely find new alternatives to give them the uncensored info they are looking for, you should move to Reddit if the BITOG censorship is too much.

Unlike BITOG and other legacy tech, I welcome anarchy and freedom of speech on my platforms. I understand that some Normies might be triggered.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Me too. I had some additional comments to add on the EPA thread which I thought would round out the picture of the issue, but the lock came down.
EPA and CAFE threads are inherently political, so are always going to be subject to heated emotion. But if the moderator can delete posts that are excessively inflammatory or name-calling, perhaps some of these threads can be kept alive.

What say?

That’s true … but I have a better chance of not causing the lock on CAFE than EPA since one is so far reaching and the other reaches the gear head in me … I think it’s time for the CAFE team to park in the pit area about a year and analyze the data sets over the last 5 years or so. Then report out to consumers (tax payers) …

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If I had a nickel for every time someone posted this, I might be able to buy a SuperTech oil filter.

I’m going for a Fram Ultra!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: eljefino

That is why alternative tech is rising. While places like Facebook, Twitter,internet forums, Youtube censor themselves out of buisness.

Why do you think Cable, OTA T.V. and Radio are not leading the paradigm shift? As censorship increases people will freely find new alternatives to give them the uncensored info they are looking for, you should move to Reddit if the BITOG censorship is too much.

Unlike BITOG and other legacy tech, I welcome anarchy and freedom of speech on my platforms. I understand that some Normies might be triggered.

The reason why these things aren't allowed was mentioned above. Infighting spills over from political/unmoderated sections into the rest of the board in other instances.

It was decided by the owner that they wanted this to be a family friendly site, which meant that profanity and politics was to be avoided. That resulted in the rules being written, which users agreed to when signing up.

None of this was in a vacuum. It's well understood that there are other places where such things can be discussed.

Unfortunately CAFE and EPA bring out polarity and politics, regardless of intention. This has been proven time and time again. It certainly isn't the first time that this stuff has come up.

You can readily see the politics and a variety of disallowed commentary popping up early in the locked threads. Lots of users complain. Action is taken.

Keep in mind that there is a "notify" button, and most moderation is done after multiple users complain.

Originally Posted By: irv

Have/has the owners/mods ever considered a sub section for these types of threads? I am not just talking about another section/spot on the site but rather one where you would also need to log into it separately from the main one with new/seperate password.

Sorry but no thanks. I visit a gun forum that has a politics section. The animosity and vitriol exhibited there is embarassing to witness from adults. And the worst part is the poor conduct leaks into the other sections and has to be continually weeded out. Keep BITOG the way it is please. Plenty of other places to display poor conduct.

OOPs, beat me to it while I was typing. Thanks for keeping it civil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: irv

Sorry but no thanks. I visit a gun forum that has a politics section. The animosity and vitriol exhibited there is embarassing to witness from adults. And the worst part is the poor conduct leaks into the other sections and has to be continually weeded out. Keep BITOG the way it is please. Plenty of other places to display poor conduct.

OOPs, beat me to it while I was typing. Thanks for keeping it civil.

Don’t even have to go that controversial … just the feedback on the average news article is extremely nasty …

I, too, have gotten irritated with heavy-handed mods here. But one upside to this board is that the threads stay very businesslike. Not a lot of [censored] to wade through, like on most other forums. And that’s a BITOG hallmark.

I appreciate this board a lot. I have definitely learned more than I have ever given (maybe have an investment section)...just kidding. Not on a lot of boards but Garak is correct about potential spill over...great point. Either way, I appreciate this site.

I'm glad someone raised this thread...

IMO (and I fully realise that I'm speaking as someone who's in a minority of one!) we need to be talking about global warming & climate change more, not less. By implication, that should encompass stuff like EPA & CAFE changes which feed into GW/CC; particularly as it impacts on engine oil. It should also allow some things that are sadly inherently political like how Big Oil has for decades deliberately subverted the debate on GW/CC (I'm not some weirdo environmental activist making this up. It's headline news right now).

I noted in one of the posts above that BITOG as a matter of policy aims to be a 'family friendly' site. I'd argue that doing something (anything!!) about GW/CC is right now is THE most family friendly thing you could possibly do because of its implications for children and future generations. I do not arbitarily cite 'my grandson' as a mechanism to advance my point of view. He's very real, his name is Tommy, he's mad about Thomas The Tank Engine and his Grandad is rather concerned about his future.

In fact I'd go as far as saying his Grandad is, after reading many of the comments on BITOG, in a state of abject despair because it's obvious that the overriding majority of the otherwise educated, articulate people on BITOG just don't give a stuff! Apparently we should all have the 'freedom to be stupid'. In the coming decades, future generation will wonder why such idiotic, self indulgent notions weren't challenged more.

And for that, we need a forum for open debate...

Last edited:
I have the impression they all laugh at GW/CC here, I wouldn't dare mention it because I'd be in a minority of one. A bit depressing when they are all worried about being half a quart overfull on the stick, and not concerned about islands in the Pacific going underwater.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
I'm glad someone raised this thread....

And for that, we need a forum for open debate...

You are welcome to go start your own website then.

P is taboo, or had you not realized that by now? Actually, you did; don't act surprised when this is locked also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back