M1 5w30 Factory Fill, 1111 miles, 2018 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned above, I want to switch over to the new Mobil 1 0w40 ESP, however I'm now curious if GM would allow other dexos2 oils under the warranty? For example, there are two options I could consider, one is Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and the other is Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30. Both will have an HTHS of above 3.5 (I've read on here that the Pennzoil might actually be 3.68!) The problem with M1 0w40 ESP is that it's reported that it's not hitting retail outlets until the end of summer, and someone that spoke to a Mobil 1 rep was told it's unlikely to be sold in Walmart due to it's limited market. For that reason I'm also thinking it won't be sold in the 5 quart jugs but in single bottles. So it could be quite pricey, but PP Euro L 5w30 is currently sold at Walmart in 5qt jugs for $27.76 and has been $22 recently too. So now I'm wrestling with the idea of these other options. I'm sure in the future there will be more 0w40s available that are dexos2 certified as well.

Originally Posted By: Patman
As mentioned above, I want to switch over to the new Mobil 1 0w40 ESP, however I'm now curious if GM would allow other dexos2 oils under the warranty? For example, there are two options I could consider, one is Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and the other is Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30. Both will have an HTHS of above 3.5 (I've read on here that the Pennzoil might actually be 3.68!) The problem with M1 0w40 ESP is that it's reported that it's not hitting retail outlets until the end of summer, and someone that spoke to a Mobil 1 rep was told it's unlikely to be sold in Walmart due to it's limited market. For that reason I'm also thinking it won't be sold in the 5 quart jugs but in single bottles. So it could be quite pricey, but PP Euro L 5w30 is currently sold at Walmart in 5qt jugs for $27.76 and has been $22 recently too. So now I'm wrestling with the idea of these other options. I'm sure in the future there will be more 0w40s available that are dexos2 certified as well.

My question would be where does it say that they don't? Does the owner's manual say that your warranty would be violated if you use a different grade than recommended? Isn't the specification specified, not the grade?

The tricky part is that my particular owner's manual for my 2018 says to use a dexos1 oil in 5w30. It also says 0w30 is acceptable in cold climates and that Mobil 1 15w50 is acceptable for racing. But for 2019 they now are factory filled with that M1 0w40 ESP, and the chief engineer for the Corvette says that oil is also now recommended for all 2014 to 2018 Corvettes. From what I've gathered, the 2019 manual says to use a 0w40 oil that meets dexos2. So far, M1 0w40 ESP is the only one that qualifies. The 2018 manual (and probably the 2019 too) also says this:
Failure to use the recommended
engine oil or equivalent can result
in engine damage not covered by
the vehicle warranty.

So that's the confusing part. If my manual says a dexos1 5w30 is the right oil, but the new recommendation is a dexos2 0w40, why wouldn't a dexos2 5w30 also be acceptable? I especially think the M1 5w30 ESP would be the most acceptable choice, since it's probably got a very similar additive package.

Originally Posted By: Patman
The tricky part is that my particular owner's manual for my 2018 says to use a dexos1 oil in 5w30. It also says 0w30 is acceptable in cold climates and that Mobil 1 15w50 is acceptable for racing. But for 2019 they now are factory filled with that M1 0w40 ESP, and the chief engineer for the Corvette says that oil is also now recommended for all 2014 to 2018 Corvettes. From what I've gathered, the 2019 manual says to use a 0w40 oil that meets dexos2. So far, M1 0w40 ESP is the only one that qualifies. The 2018 manual (and probably the 2019 too) also says this:
Failure to use the recommended
engine oil or equivalent can result
in engine damage not covered by
the vehicle warranty.

So that's the confusing part. If my manual says a dexos1 5w30 is the right oil, but the new recommendation is a dexos2 0w40, why wouldn't a dexos2 5w30 also be acceptable? I especially think the M1 5w30 ESP would be the most acceptable choice, since it's probably got a very similar additive package.

As a fellow "old time BITOG" I think you're over thinking this for your 2018 Corvette. Your OM says Dexos 1 5W-30, surprised it's not Dexos 1 Gen 2 for your 2018, yet you can track or race using Mobil 1 15W-50. That's definitely not Dexos 1
grin.gif
. Did GM issue a TBN saying you can use Dexos 2 in previous model years? But in reality any quality brand SN or SL oil(Mobil 1 15W-50, according to your OM),of at least 0W-30 will work just fine. The biggest thing the dealer will look at if there is an engine issue is there sludge from lack of oil changes or signs of extreme abuse. Enjoy your fantastic new Corvette and stop fretting over the oil to use. You're intelligent and are not going to use a cheap oil.

Whimsey

There isn't a TBN just yet but there is this file released by Mobil 1 & GM it mentions that this particular dexos2 oil is now recommended:

When M1 0w40 ESP becomes widely available, I can see it becoming the "Go-To" oil on BITOG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back