`18 4Runner review

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far my `18 4Runner has been great. No "problems". A very solid vehicle. Truly feels tough and will last for many years.

I have about 500 miles on it and 2 things stand out as a surprise.

1. The turning radius of this vehicle is horrible. I have driven Jeep Wranglers and many other vehicles and with a relatively short wheel base I never thought that would be an issue, but it is!

2. The 1GR-FE 4.0 engine is very noisy, especially while warming up. I have talked to 2 owners of Tacomas with this engine and they say the same thing. Sounds like there is no oil in it. They said it has sounded that way since new and the one owner has 9x,xxx miles and is still noisy. So I guess that is how they are?

Otherwise the vehicle is great! If anyone knows what oil tends to reduce engine noise in this engine I would like to know. I will be forgoing the free maintenance and am willing to go thicker than 0w-20. I already have 2 TRD filters on hand.

Last edited:
Good review! You can try some 5w30 Formula Shell at Home Depot for $9.88/jug till 4/15. Reports on here of it being quiet. If you want full syn then try Castrol Magnatec 5w30. Another quiet one.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
So far my `18 4Runner has been great. No "problems". A very solid vehicle. Truly feels tough and will last for many years.

I have about 500 miles on it and 2 things stand out as a surprise.

1. The turning radius of this vehicle is horrible. I have driven Jeep Wranglers and many other vehicles and with a relatively short wheel base I never thought that would be an issue, but it is!

2. The 1GR-FE 4.0 engine is very noisy, especially while warming up. I have talked to 2 owners of Tacomas with this engine and they say the same thing. Sounds like there is no oil in it. They said it has sounded that way since new and the one owner has 9x,xxx miles and is still noisy. So I guess that is how they are?

Otherwise the vehicle is great! If anyone knows what oil tends to reduce engine noise in this engine I would like to know. I will be forgoing the free maintenance and am willing to go thicker than 0w-20. I already have 2 TRD filters on hand.

Love mine also -- solid feel, and with the reputation for long term durability it's a keeper.

You really can't beat a Wrangler for turning radius; but coming from a vehicle with a 3' longer wheelbase, I'm loving the turning radius of the 4Runner! It's all perspective and might take a little getting used to.

My engine is noisy also, and after spending time on several Toyota and 4Runner sites, it's a noisy engine for everyone. It does sound like something's wrong, doesn't it? I'll be going with a 30 weight soon, and may try a 40 down the road.

Im sorry, I just dont get it - two relatively major design attributes being lousy is a great vehicle?

Had you test driven the vehicle before buying it?

I get it that many on here swoon over low tech, aged designs over more advanced engineering, but with that comes some of the attributes you mention.

so when are you doing tight circles and did you not hear the engine before purchase?

comparing a short wheel base jeep to a 4runner is not fair. if you thought anything was possibly wrong with the engine, and still signed your name, well that is just crazy. If concerned, should have asked before hand.

Oh, don't be concerned.

We have owned a 4runner back in the day. Early 2000’s. Incredible Offroad, terrible on the road! Way too stiff and uncomfortable for regular day today driving. I am surprised that the new ones are not more comfortable considering how expensive they are.

Yep! Did a test drive, back roads, then highway about 10 miles total. Did not turn steering wheel full lock until after buying it. Also the engine is okay when warmed up but there is noticeable piston slap from a cold start, not initially, but about a minute in then goes away as the engine warms.

Actually it was pouring rain when I bought it. Either way neither of these would be deal breakers. Still love it and from what I gather these sounds and characteristics are part of the what a 4Runner is and not a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zfasts03
Yep! Did a test drive, back roads, then highway about 10 miles total. Did not turn steering wheel full lock until after buying it. Also the engine is okay when warmed up but there is noticeable piston slap from a cold start, not initially, but about a minute in then goes away as the engine warms.

Actually it was pouring rain when I bought it. Either way neither of these would be deal breakers. Still love it and from what I gather these sounds and characteristics are part of the what a 4Runner is and not a problem.

Curb to curb turning radius only applies to vehicles that can't drive over the curbs...
If we didn't drive so much I'd get a 4runner too.

Last edited:
In case you weren't aware, Toyota used to spec 5W-30 oil for the 1GR-FE engines (as in my 2007 Tacoma). Surely the tolerances are the same, and the switch to 0W-20 was done in the interest of boosting economy numbers only.

The only difference in your engine and mine is that yours has VVT-i on the exhaust cams in addition to the intake cams (older versions have VVT-i on the intake side only).

Maybe someone who knows, can chime in here and tell us if switching to a heavier weight oil would pose any risk to the VVT-i system. Would there be differences in any components on that dual-VVT-i system that might be harmed by going to a 30W? My guess would be, in this case, no.

I think, personally, my choice would be to try a 5W-20, first, maybe one that is a bit on the thicker end of the scale, for a 20W. And then you would have the benefit of an oil that would probably have fewer VIIs and, as a result, lower volatility.

congratulations. You made a smart purchase that will serve you well while maintaining one of the highest residual values out there.

Try m1 0w40. I am happy with its performance in my 18 and it can be found onAmazon at a good price.
Be advised that Toyota gr engines have loud injectors. All Toyota truck engines I have ever had with fuel injection had loud injectors, but I have never had a problem with them. Toyota is very conservative mechanically, they err on the side of thick and heavier parts over complexity.
Turning radius has the be learned. You get the wheelbase and the benefits of smoother ride at a clip on rough trails., but very very tight switch backs (think black bear pass)either require a pivot off of sliders or a willingness to use reverse, which nothing but air and altitude behind you. ( back up cameras are nice for that if you don’t have spotters.)

Every vehicle has a few quirks that some drivers will not notice while test driving but bug them after purchase. Some of us could care less about one set of quirks, but be driven to madness by others.

Look at the bright side with the huge turning radius. It will be more difficult to bind up the drivetrain in 4x4 mode! lol. FWIW, our 2017 Nissan Frontier is the same way in regards to that. Also with cold start noise.

Every Subaru product I've ever owned sounded horrible on a cold start. Not sure why the car companies allow some engines to sound like this and some not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back