2016 Acura RDX - Tires

Vehicle is due for new tires after 52k miles on the originals. Two tires are at 2-3/32”, the other two are at 3-4/32”. I have personally rotated the tires every 7-8k (at each oil service). The tire size is 235/60-18 and a V speed rating is required.

Cost is a consideration but not the main issue. I suggested the Premier LTX, but pricing is a bit steep at $1k installed. Any other recs?

Last edited:
The BITOG darlings? (on Tirerack)
Cooper CS5 Touring
or
General Altimax RT43

What are your local Costco offers?

What do you want from your tires?
There are summer, winter, all season tires available in your size.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
What do you want from your tires?
There are summer, winter, all season tires available in your size.

Krzys

52k miles in about 2 years. I vote for lots of highway driving...
So I would go for all-seasons. Probably a touring for comfort.
I don't think Summer are very long wearing....

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Vehicle is due for new tires after 52k miles on the originals. Two tires are at 2-3/32”, the other two are at 3-4/32”. I have personally rotated the tires every 7-8k (at each oil service). The tire size is 235/60-18 and a V speed rating is required.

Cost is a consideration but not the main issue. I suggested the Premier LTX, but pricing is a bit steep at $1k installed. Any other recs?

Premier LTX only come with 6mm new. You are buying a half worn tire. Our shop will not sell them anymore because of that. We normally use the OE Michelin.

I highly doubt a Acura SUV will see anywhere near 149mph.

The Premier is bank, I'd wait for Costco to have their Michelin deal. Otherwise look at the Bridgestone Dueler HP Alenza, Pirelli Scorpion Verde, maybe a Kumho Crugen.

Cooper Discoverer SRX would be a better choice than the CS5 for your vehicle.
71UCddyTapL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
Since you probably don't need all-season tires, get one of these:
Pirelli Scorpion Verde
ContiSportContact 5 SUV
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 SUV
Michelin Latitude Sport 3

If snow performance is an issue, consider the Vredestein Quatrac 5.

General Altimax RT43 was mentioned but they're a good deal for a good tire. They're Same thing for Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring.
If you didn't want to pay for the Michelin Premier LTX, then I would get one of the above. BTW, these start out at 6.7mm not 6 (so 8.5/32 not 7.5/32). Like that matters since it's so poor either way. So, not a good deal IMO at $220/tire.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Cooper Discoverer SRX would be a better choice than the CS5 for your vehicle.
71UCddyTapL._SX522_.jpg

+1 fantastic Tire. We have them on our escape.

Agreed, the Discoverer SRX is a great all-season tire.

I really like the look of the Cooper Discoverer SRX. A perfect tire for my friend who has an 02 Rav4.

Update:

The tires have 39K on them (91k on the car). Two tires are at 2/32," one tire is at 3/32" and one tire was replaced several months ago due to road hazard.

Despite being worn out, the tires are still exceptionally quiet and performance is very acceptable. I still think the Premier's are an excellent tire if you can stomach the cost per mile.

Due to cost, we are installing Pirelli's Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II this time since Sam's Club's price is only $650 installed ($250 savings over the Premier's).

Originally Posted by The Critic
Update:

The tires have 39K on them (91k on the car). Two tires are at 2/32," one tire is at 3/32" and one tire was replaced several months ago due to road hazard.

Despite being worn out, the tires are still exceptionally quiet and performance is very acceptable. I still think the Premier's are an excellent tire if you can stomach the cost per mile.

Due to cost, we are installing Pirelli's Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II this time since Sam's Club's price is only $650 installed ($250 savings over the Premier's).

I had Premier LTX on X5, and yes, they start shallow. But wet performance is ridiculous.
Scorpion Plus are also really good tires.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by The Critic
Update:

I had Premier LTX on X5, and yes, they start shallow. But wet performance is ridiculous.
Scorpion Plus are also really good tires.

Agreed. Great tires, just pricey.

The Plus II is supposed to be an improvement over its predecessor. Its predecessor was a bit lacking in wet traction but this one seems to have the issue solved.
https://www.tirereview.com/pirelli-scorpion-verde-all-season-plus-ii/
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=246

Originally Posted by nthach
I highly doubt a Acura SUV will see anywhere near 149mph.

The Premier is bank, I'd wait for Costco to have their Michelin deal. Otherwise look at the Bridgestone Dueler HP Alenza, Pirelli Scorpion Verde, maybe a Kumho Crugen.

Why wouldnt it?

Anyway, I recommend the continental CrossContact LX25. Bought em for my 2019 cx5 turbo and very happy with all aspects. I've tried destination le2, crosscontacf lx20 , rt43, on similar vehicles and prefer the lx25s.

I chose the lx25s over the Pirelli because they are symmetrical, allowing more rotation than just F to R and the data difference was very minor in all of the testing, so much so that if the exact tire size used in the test isnt what you use, it may cause an upset in ranking.

Last edited:
Back