NAPA 27055 Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off a '14 Legacy 2.5. 5K mi OCI. Max Life 0W20. First tear Ive ever seen on a Proselect. This car does 5K miles every 3 months. I saved previous proselect and it looked fine. Put a proselect back on and ST 0W20 in.

Another victim of wide pleat spacing. Media couldn't take the delta-p when the pleats get bent over sideways.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Another victim of wide pleat spacing. Media couldn't take the delta-p when the pleats get bent over sideways.

I was beginning to think Gastonia ran out of media and borrowed some from Fayetteville.
wink.gif

The last 2 Wix made Supertech filters I cut apart had very brittle media. They were intact, but I was able to tear the media with my fingers. Did not give me any warm fuzzy feelings.

Uggh... and the fiasco continues.

How hard is it to make tight even pleating.

Honestly, what's the point of a 22psi bypass spec if the filter media is just going to tear... ohh the irony.

I sure would like to see a video of the automated system that makes these filters. At least, I assume it’s an automated production line. The poorly spaced pleats we are seeing sure seems like some bean counter cranked the speed up on the production line and now there’s less time for the pleats to even out after installation prior to the adhesive being applied.

Lol, it was only a matter of time mwahahahaha >:]

Fram = GOAT

Also obligatory:
full-71141-20736-full_71141_19785_full_71141_12671_days_since_purolator.png

(Thanks OP for the C&P)

Originally Posted By: webfors

Honestly, what's the point of a 22psi bypass spec if the filter media is just going to tear... ohh the irony.

E X A C T L Y !!

I get so tired of the GM guys crying about not being able to buy filters with the "required" BPV per the service bulletin requiring a 22 psi bypass valve...

well......... when their filter media tears, they won't need that high psi BP valve anymore, anyway.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Uggh... and the fiasco continues.

How hard is it to make tight even pleating.

Yes, high bypass setting along with brittle media is not a good formula.

I was afraid of this when they were taken over by MH, how long before it spreads to the Gold? Funny thing is though the German made MH is rock solid so its not like they don't know how to make a quality product.
Its almost seems like they bought the company and let it run like it always did with little or no parent company support.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I was beginning to think Gastonia ran out of media and borrowed some from Fayetteville.
wink.gif

hahahah, right!

Jason,

The Proselects have been known to tear. So far it has not been epidemic.

Torn Proselect

I think old man Winter did his magic with the wide pleat space and brittle media.

The Proselect is very well respected by the BITOG members but they have seen several failures in the last year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back