Supertech 15W40 7.3 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I have any concerns running ST 15W40 CJ-4 in my F250? I usually run Motorcraft 15W40, due to the extra ZDDP levels, with a Napa Gold 1734. I'm just getting tired of spending almost $80 for an oil change for this truck, I just use it in a 50 mile radius, short tripped often, just a beat up old work truck, but I do want the engine to be protected, so if Supertech would offer the same level of protection of the Motorcraft, I'm all for it. Also, should I have any concerns running the spec'd Baldwin B7039 oil filter? The local hardware store has about 20 leftover from when they had a 7.3 delivery truck, theyre selling them for $5 each. My only concern is the Baldwin filter is noticably shorter than the Napa Gold or Motorcraft filter (7 and 3/8 compared to 8 inches long for the Napa Gold and Motorcraft).

I'm not slamming you, its not my style, but I just don't understand why you used Motorcraft oil instead of any 1 of the big 3= Delo, Delvac, Rotella? The factory fill from Navistar I believe was Delo 400. A 5 gallon bucket of Delvac 1300 is about $63.00 around here. I think there is a $25.00 rebate for it right now. Now your 5 gal bucket of oil is $38.00 plus taxes. Keep using the Wix filter, its a good filter.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with using ST at this point, I just think you can get Delvac cheaper or near the same price!

The Baldwin filter is a good filter also, you should have no concerns with the short OCI's your runnin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Baldwin B7039 oil filter? The local hardware store has about 20 leftover from when they had a 7.3 delivery truck, theyre selling them for $5 each. My only concern is the Baldwin filter is noticably shorter than the Napa Gold or Motorcraft filter (7 and 3/8 compared to 8 inches long for the Napa Gold and Motorcraft).

I think the shorter filters will work just fine,
that’s what the original 6.9 & 7.3 IDI engines used

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Baldwin B7039 oil filter? The local hardware store has about 20 leftover from when they had a 7.3 delivery truck, theyre selling them for $5 each. My only concern is the Baldwin filter is noticably shorter than the Napa Gold or Motorcraft filter (7 and 3/8 compared to 8 inches long for the Napa Gold and Motorcraft).

I think the shorter filters will work just fine,
that’s what the original 6.9 & 7.3 IDI engines used
the idi used a shorter 32 micron filter. The power stroke uses a longer 20 micron filter. I would not use the idi filter on a power stroke.

The B7039 is not the shorter IDI filter. Its the correct cross to the Motorcraft FL1995 but for some reason Baldwin makes their filter shorter.

The 7.3L PSD is not known to be finicky about oil brands and grades in terms of wear.
It will shear down at 40 grade to a 30 grade, but with you planned OCI that's not a big deal; or feed it a 10w-30 to being with (won't find that in ST products, at least for now ...)

The 15w-40 ST will do just fine. It's every bit as good in terms of wear control as any of the majors, for the type use you describe.

Why not run a UOA with the MC, then run one with the ST. I believe you'll find they both fall well within "normal" expected ranges of wear rates.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Or hit the ST with a shot of Lubegard HD Engine Protectant for some additional protection.

Absolutely NOT on the 7.3 unless you want HPOP issues and injector issues. The 7.3's fuel system is oil driven and the additives hurt this rather than help it.

OP, ST is a great oil for the 7.3 PSD. I have been running it on my truck and it does very well and it is a CJ-4 with a robust add pack. Run it, save money, and be happy.

I now have a 2011 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins and only use Rotella T6 with either the Cummins oil filter or the Mopar oil filter (made for Mopar by Cummins) changing both every 5000 miles.

I used to own a 2002 F350 with the 7.3 made by International, wow what a good motor. Oil and oil filter changes were easy. I mainly used the Motor Craft 15w40 which is made for Ford by Conoco Phillips, really good oil.

I never used the ST diesel oil, as long as it meets the specs, it should be fine. While at WM, I always purchased the MC oil filter as well it was $9.95, cheaper than the dealer.

One good thing about the 7.3, if you ever ran low on oil while driving, the engine would shut down due to the HPOP that pressured the injectors. I never had that issue, just a small oil leak around the turbo-pedistel due to worn pedistel O-Rings, leaked about 1 quart every oil change at 5000 miles. Again, in my opinion, the 7.3 was the best diesel placed in a Ford Truck.

Says you run Mobil Delvac in your Cummins in signature, why not use that for both and save the hassle of having two separate brands of oil to deal with? I'd rather have Delvac than ST in my 7.3, especially with how finicky the 7.3's HPOP and injectors can be.
As far as filters go, no real comment there, so long as it's the right P/N# it'll be fine. The Fram OCOD I put on my 7.3 at the end of last summer was slightly taller than the Motorcraft but didn't make me squeamish at all.

I run T6 synthetic in mine and go a full year, it rarely sees 5000 miles a year, however. Plus it's nice to have for those frosty cold mornings, used to run regualar Rotella 15W-40 prior with no problems to speak of, either.

Originally Posted By: turbowhistle
I now have a 2011 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins and only use Rotella T6 with either the Cummins oil filter or the Mopar oil filter (made for Mopar by Cummins) changing both every 5000 miles.

I used to own a 2002 F350 with the 7.3 made by International, wow what a good motor. Oil and oil filter changes were easy. I mainly used the Motor Craft 15w40 which is made for Ford by Conoco Phillips, really good oil.

I never used the ST diesel oil, as long as it meets the specs, it should be fine. While at WM, I always purchased the MC oil filter as well it was $9.95, cheaper than the dealer.

One good thing about the 7.3, if you ever ran low on oil while driving, the engine would shut down due to the HPOP that pressured the injectors. I never had that issue, just a small oil leak around the turbo-pedistel due to worn pedistel O-Rings, leaked about 1 quart every oil change at 5000 miles. Again, in my opinion, the 7.3 was the best diesel placed in a Ford Truck.

Pretty sure Mopar filters are made by Tearolator last time I heard. If that's the case, I'd suggest a different brand of filter for your truck!

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: turbowhistle

Pretty sure Mopar filters are made by Tearolator last time I heard. If that's the case, I'd suggest a different brand of filter for your truck!

The Mopar MO-285 is made by Fleetguard however it is not a Stratapore media filter, it is the standard media. A lot of the gas engine filters are or were Puralators just painted a different color.

You are 100% Correct. I used to get my Fleetguards Stratapore filters throgh Genos at a good price.

But now I use the Mopar MO-285 due to a great deal on a oil and filter package deal and tire rotation.

I get four oil changes and tire rotations in a two year period. I get the package for about $286 dollars, couldn't pass this up and of course greasing the front drive shaft each time too. The oil changes are with the Rotella T6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back