Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to midas to have my rotors turned. They kept chattering and eventually ruined all 4 so I had to go buy new ones to be able to drive it home. Drove 100 miles round trip to a storethat had front and rear rotors in stock ended up being NAPA Premium Rotors should I beworried about the quality? I didn't have much choice as I needed the vehicle done and I only had 1 day off before going to Missouri and that was the only ones available. Had I know the old ones were trash I would have ordered better ones. The owner said if Rotors get heated up a lot hotter than they are supposed to be it causes hard spots which makes them impossible to turn.

NAPA store brand stuff is good quality. Don't worry about the new rotors. Disc brake rotors are so cheap these days, I don't bother getting old ones turned anymore.

I would focus on quality brake pads. Pads themselves can leave deposits i.e. high spots. I don't get any rotors turned anymore, most don't have enough meat.

You did not say what vehicle. I'd go with all new rotors and high quality pads.

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
Went to midas to have my rotors turned. They kept chattering and eventually ruined all 4 so I had to go buy new ones to be able to drive it home. Drove 100 miles round trip to a storethat had front and rear rotors in stock ended up being NAPA Premium Rotors should I beworried about the quality? I didn't have much choice as I needed the vehicle done and I only had 1 day off before going to Missouri and that was the only ones available. Had I know the old ones were trash I would have ordered better ones. The owner said if Rotors get heated up a lot hotter than they are supposed to be it causes hard spots which makes them impossible to turn.

The Napa rotors will be fine, they are decent quality for a DD from what I have experienced with them.
The monkey running the brake lathe buggered your old rotors because he didn't know what he was doing.
It had a old cutter or he tried to take too much of at once and I bet he didn't put an anti vibration/silencer band around it either.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss

The Napa rotors will be fine, they are decent quality for a DD from what I have experienced with them.
The monkey running the brake lathe buggered your old rotors because he didn't know what he was doing.
It had a old cutter or he tried to take too much of at once and I bet he didn't put an anti vibration/silencer band around it either.
worked at a Napa store, their premium was great...

Napa's premium rotors are coated, so they won't rust overnight
smile.gif

Turning rotors is useless. You might as well replace them anyway.

Its depends on the rotor doesn't it? Some rotors with bearings can be quite pricey and are well worth turning and repacking the bearings.

Brake Parts Inc aka. Raybestos supplies brake parts to NAPA. Their Ultra Premium coated rotors (Raybestos RPT) are my go-to for brake jobs.

When I feel vibration when braking I demount the calipers and use a knotted wire wheel on a grinder on the rotor. I wire wheel the pads to remove the glaze and re-assemble. Usually works.

I don’t want to stir up a beehive but there are many things we used to do that are slowly disappearing. I’m not convinced the CEO’s of these large auto parts chains want us coming around to get rotors turned. With competition from China these rotors are cheap enough that it makes no sense for the chain to keep a well maintained machine and bother training staff. Plus the liability insurance the chain has to keep to conver their staff who are dealing with rotating equipment. Sorry folks, but turning rotors will soon be for old men.

Just finished a complete brake job on the wife's Frontier. New rotors and pads, F & R. Used the NAPA Ultra Premium coated rotors. So far, I'm extremely pleased, although admittedly, not many miles on them yet.

If you sign up to NAPA's website, they send out specials/discounts that are really good deals to members.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I don’t want to stir up a beehive but there are many things we used to do that are slowly disappearing. I’m not convinced the CEO’s of these large auto parts chains want us coming around to get rotors turned. With competition from China these rotors are cheap enough that it makes no sense for the chain to keep a well maintained machine and bother training staff. Plus the liability insurance the chain has to keep to conver their staff who are dealing with rotating equipment. Sorry folks, but turning rotors will soon be for old men.

They have figured out they can make a product that meets the same performance specs for a better price. That in return provides a couple hundred million driving americans with a good product at a cheaper price. Why turn rotors when you can buy new for about the same price. Its a no brainer.

I would never have rotors turned any more. Brakes are so easy if your a DIYer. I put O'Reilly rotors and ceramic pads on 3 years ago and no problems. Ceramics are hard on the rotors, and these rotors were only $40 each for cross drilled oem type. Took an hour and half to do both front sides and that included cleaning up. Cost for the whole job was less than $120 (discount coupon)and I have a lifetime warranty on the pads. NAPA ultra rotors have a lifetime warranty so next time I am getting those. Brakes are cheap now and so easy to do. Get the NAPA Ultras.

I have the OEM rotors from my wife's scion sitting in my garage.

It was too much of a bother to find a place to turn them, and get the car finished up on my only day off that week.

I just put on a set of bosch pads and rotors and called it a day.

I think I will take them to a machine shop before her next brake job, and get them turned. I think the OEM used Advics.

The price of turning rotors may be almost the same as buying new rotors.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The price of turning rotors may be almost the same as buying new rotors.

For my Durango it cost me right around $300 for new rotors just the parts. It was supposed to be around $100 to have them turned. Saving 66% I was just trying to avoid buying more than I had to since it wasn't pulsating or wobbling. The scratches I observed were less than a week old so it was very early as I had been keeping an eye on the rotors since I thought the pads were running low

NAPA premium is their economy line. Napa Ultra Premium are the ones you want. Affinia makes most of NAPA's brake line and they also have a coated economy rotor option (FZN rotors) as well.

FCA specifies a maximum of .002" lateral runout for the front and rear rotors when installed. I find that many economy rotors are not able to achieve this spec due to the quality of the machining. With the premium rotors you are usually able to achieve this without issues.

I encourage you to buy a dial indicator from HF and measure the lateral runout of the installed rotors. Excessive runout will cause premature vibration to develop.

Could you please link the dial indicator?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
NAPA premium is their economy line. Napa Ultra Premium are the ones you want. Affinia makes most of NAPA's brake line and they also have a coated economy rotor option (FZN rotors) as well.

FCA specifies a maximum of .002" lateral runout for the front and rear rotors when installed. I find that many economy rotors are not able to achieve this spec due to the quality of the machining. With the premium rotors you are usually able to achieve this without issues.

I encourage you to buy a dial indicator from HF and measure the lateral runout of the installed rotors. Excessive runout will cause premature vibration to develop.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

You don't turn cheap rotors but some rotors are very expensive, tell me these are just for old men to turn.
lol.gif

I turned some Jag rotors last year that cost $400 ea, no problem at all. $200 vs $1600+tax your choice. Course if your experience is only with sub $50 cheap Chinese rotors I can understand your post.

https://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=catList&cid=6246

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Could you please link the dial indicator?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

you mean this dial gauge from HF (harbor freight)? Excellent quality and yes I own and use this exact one..

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-travel-machinists-dial-indicator-63521.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back