API SN Plus coming in May 2018!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that this hasn't been big news here. The next "minor" update to the API PCMO is coming next month. It will be called API SN Plus and it's a minor update before API SP becomes available in around 2020 so that they will have oils already certified for LSPI protection in TGDI engines (or in any other engine in which it happens) without having to wait for that. Pennzoil will be the first company to offer it in May 2018. Be the first one to put it in your engine!

It only includes LSPI protection. Unfortunately there is no timing-chain protection. For timing-chain protection in TGDI engines, avoid 0W-xx oils for now until the test is included in API SP and use 5W-xx or, preferably, 10W-xx or thicker (see what's thick oil).

API-seal2.jpeg

Pennzoil SN Plus

Oronite SN Plus

Lubrizol SN Plus

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4631612/Re:_Est_first_use_date_for_API

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4679768/Why_isn't_Pennzoil_Ultra_Plati

The Kendall Synthetic Blend I plan to use next already is SN Plus. Pennzoil says it's oils already meet it as well.

Valvoline’s reformulated synthetics VAS and VME both are SN + right now. I’m sure other major brands are as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: webfors
Very interesting!

Does this make Dexos 1G2 obsolete?

d1G2 goes a step further with timing-chain protection as identified by Gokhan in the introductory post.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: webfors
Very interesting!

Does this make Dexos 1G2 obsolete?

d1G2 goes a step further with timing-chain protection as identified by Gokhan in the introductory post.

Dexos also limits the MRV to 2/3 of the API value.

It's definitely a spec that is desirable to have in an oil.

Pick SN, ACEA, Dexos, and the german specs over "just SN GF-5"

Originally Posted By: blupupher
So why is this called SN + instead of SO (or I would guess SP since O looks like 0)?
We have been on SN for quite a while now.

The next spec to be released was supposed to be SP, but delays in developing the qualification tests has led to a delay. The "SO" designation was skipped because it was too easily confused for "S0". The API has also skipped other designations in the past, such as SI and SK, because they would have been confused as being for spark ignition engines only.

API's SP should be made equivalent to at least A1/B1-12 spec (remember, ACEA dropped A1/B1 from the 2016 sequence)

Originally Posted By: Hammehead
Colors don´t match with title in that spider graph
laugh.gif

red + blue = purple
wink.gif

It's a GIF image. Let's see if this works:

spider.gif

Purple is the overlapping of SN and SN Plus.
Red is the extra protection SN Plus extends past SN.
Blue shows the limit of SN.

mobil has been having discounts + rebates prolly due to the incoming newer oils! NO GDI for this guy so it means little + i will enjoy the older discounted oils while they last!!

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I'm surprised that this hasn't been big news here. The next "minor" update to the API PCMO is coming next month. It will be called API SN Plus and it's a minor update before API SP becomes available in around 2020 so that they will have oils already certified for LSPI protection in TGDI engines (or in any other engine in which it happens) without having to wait for that. Pennzoil will be the first company to offer it in May 2018. Be the first one to put it in your engine!

It only includes LSPI protection. Unfortunately there is no timing-chain protection. For timing-chain protection in TGDI engines, avoid 0W-xx oils for now until the test is included in API SP and use 5W-xx or, preferably, 10W-xx or thicker (see what's thick oil).

API-seal2.jpeg

Pennzoil SN Plus

Oronite SN Plus

Lubrizol SN Plus

I thought SN PLUS was already in use?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back