NAPA lost me as a customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a NAPA Gold air filter.... made in China by Affina, I thought Wix made them, even the element color is changed, much lighter and the seal is black instead of orange like my previous Wix "NAPA Gold"

Just totally underwhelmed.

Affinia is WIX.

Many WIX filters are made in China now. WIX has a manufacturing facility there.

Don’t blame NAPA as they cannot help where WIX sources/manufactures the filters.

What is the part number?

It is possible that the Wix-branded filter will have the same changes
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Prepare to not be a customer at most any place now.

No kidding, why pay dealership prices for a inferior "top tier" product. I had to OEM my serpentine belt, about the only aftermarket things I buy are oil/oilfilter/tires. I even use OEM wiper refills because the lack of aftermarket options.

I bought the Napa Gold Wix filter because the seal used to be thicker than the one from Nissan, and a good seal is [censored] important with a air filter.

Quote:
The filter is : Air Filter - NAPA Gold
PART # :
FIL 9038

and looking at NapaOnline I see the ProSelect model is the one that used to be the "gold"
Everything else is OEM from the dealership via the internet.

Last edited:
Why blame Napa? Whether you buy it there, or O'Reilly, or Advance, or Autozone, it's the same stuff in different color boxes...
Wix and Affinia are the same company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Why blame Napa? Whether you buy it there, or O'Reilly, or Advance, or Autozone, it's the same stuff in different color boxes...
Wix and Affinia are the same company.

Why is the Proselect better than the Napa Gold? That is what irritates me. The Proselect matches the OEM in filter media and pleats and $2 more. The Napa Gold filter is standard paper element with a few more pleats and cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Just got a NAPA Gold air filter.... made in China by Affina, I thought Wix made them, even the element color is changed, much lighter and the seal is black instead of orange like my previous Wix "NAPA Gold"

How is this NAPA's fault?

Oh how I don't miss working for the public.

Wait until all the Affinia marked ones are gone...WIX is Mann & Hummel owned now...German conglomerate.Many oil filters are still USA made though.

The Wix 49038 is listed as being made in China now. It will have the same yellow media as your Chinese Napa Gold.

This is not Napa's fault.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Wait until all the Affinia marked ones are gone...WIX is Mann & Hummel owned now...German conglomerate.Many oil filters are still USA made though.

This, my NAPA Golds are marked the same way, whereas my last actual Wix labelled ones were not. COO? I have no idea without going out to look right now. Heck, I have some old Wix cooler bag or something laying around from years back. I should check what it says; it might be from before Affinia even.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Many people have a victim mentality and always think someone is out to get them.

Napa only sells them, they have no control over the COO their suppliers use. Once you saw the COO on the box nobody was twisting your arm to buy it. Sorry, not seeing this as a valid reason not to use Napa again.

Your beef is with Affina, not NAPA. Plenty of US made filters to choose from.

I was at Oreilly's the other day, I looked over the Wix oil filter they had on the shelf. Some were old stock and said Affina on them. A few of them said Mann-Hummel.

Napa isn't blameless. I'm sure they're a big enough customer to have some say in where and how their product is made. I pass on made in China filters too.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Many people have a victim mentality and always think someone is out to get them.

So it's a good thing that this is made in a China, to save the buyer a few cents?

I applaud the OP for being unwilling to buy third world goods. But like others have said, it may mean good luck finding something else. IME, NAPA is one of the better parts stores in that regard. I'd boycott the part, not sure I'd boycott the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back