Tire won’t take air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got new tires put on in the fall. Went to put air in them to top them off and one of the tires won’t accept air. Is this just the valve core issue where I can take that needle out or do I need to take it to the shop and get an all new valve stem? I aired up the other tires just fine so I doubt it’s my air chuck. It’s at 28 lbs when should be 33. Also is the valve core vehicle speciffic?

Valve cores may all have a slightly different design, and may render them non-interchangeable, but I've never heard of replacing cores. You should replace the entire stem. If your chuck worked on the other 3, the issue definitely isn't with your chuck. There's something blocking the air path in your stem. Be thankful that a foreign object isn't blocking your stem open. That's a lot less fun.

Probably just a new schraeder valve. Almost all are the same. If you have TPMS sensors, make sure to use a chrome one. The brass ones will cause galvanic corrosion.

We have to replace them quite often.

Last edited:
I had a similar situation last year. The car in question had aftermarket stainless steel valve caps. I couldn't get the tire to take air, but it was holding pressure. I was ready to have a new stem installed. Turns out that the valve caps have a rubber o-ring that became lodged in the tip of the stem. I carefully pulled it out with tweezers and all was well.

Take it back to the tire shop. They should replace the cores for free or whatever is causing the tire to not hold air
smile.gif

I was blaming the HF inflator tip. Bad rap. It is the core. Use something to push in on the valve thingy. Exercise the thingy a few times, then try.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Unscrew the core a few turns. Inflate and screw it back down.

This pretty much works all the time.

The cores are universal - the valve stem core from any old bicycle or wheelbarrow tire (even a Boeing 747!) will work just fine.

I've seen plenty of messed up valve cores, especially on the aluminum TPMS valve stems that people run around for 2-3 years with a missing valve cap, or even using a plain black plastic one, which do not have a o-ring like they are suppose to have. After that they self destruct in no time.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I've seen plenty of messed up valve cores, especially on the aluminum TPMS valve stems that people run around for 2-3 years with a missing valve cap, or even using a plain black plastic one, which do not have a o-ring like they are suppose to have. After that they self destruct in no time.

This 1000%

I just worked on a TPMS equipped Dodge Caliber that had this exact problem

It didn't end well for one valve stem...

All I wanted to do was air up the tire, now this

Hope it never needs air
whistle.gif

New valve core seemed to fix the issue. Thanks for all the help!
Slime valve cores: $1.39
Slime 4 way valve tool: $1.39
I priced out the parts and Auto Zone was by far cheapest. Glad I was able to fix on my own time, not wait at the shop, especially for something so small and cheap to fix your own.

01.gif

You can also find valve cores in the parking lot of any tire store anywhere.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back