5.3& 6.0 GM trucks losing oil pressure PF48E

I had a similar oil pressure issue with my 07 classic 5.3. Cured it with a new oring on the oil pickup tube. Oil pressue is its a new engine and im at 445k kms original engine.

Last edited:
cmlind said:
There is no logical reason since the bypass should open and the pump should pump a positive volume of oil.

But I had the same thing happen on my work truck.

Exactly, makes no sense, but it happens. Driven me nuts.

Originally Posted By: BigJakeChevy
I had a similar oil pressure issue with my 07 classic 5.3. Cured it with a new oring on the oil pickup tube. Oil pressue is its a new engine and im at 445k kms original engine.

Big Jake. As I earlier stated another tech mentioned a good way to determine if the 0ring was an issue was to overfill the oil by three quarts to cover the o-ring thereby sealing the air leak.

Now what if? What if on both trucks I worked on the problem was really the 0-ring leaking. And what if when i changed the oil the solution was not the new filter but getting enough oil back into it that the 0-ring was covered back up? What if on both trucks the oil was simply down a little?

My understanding is the 0-ring is not covered with oil when the oil is at the full mark but needs to be overfilled, by three quarts, to cover it up. But, the solution fits the circumstances so well it does makes you wonder.

I remember reading about this problem a few months ago.

1. The oil filter filling up with sludge is not a filter problem. It is a symptom of a bigger problem. If there is sludge in the filter, then there is sludge elsewhere in the engine. Using a filter with greater capacity is a step in the right direction, but this may not fix the issue.

2. Low oil pressure can be the result of:
a) false readings from a bad or intermittent oil pressure sensor.
b) false readings from a plugged screen under the oil pressure sensor.
c) stuck or intermittently sticking oil pump pressure regulator.
d) leaking O-Ring on the oil pickup tube.
e) stuck or intermittently sticking AFM pressure regulator valve.
f) stuck or intermittently sticking oil pump pressure regulator valve.
g) worn oil pump.

3. I have captured some relevant liking relating to fixes:
a) Oil pickup tube O-ring and stuck oil pump pressure regulator.
Stuck oil pump regulator valve or pickup tube O-ring
b) False oil pressure readings
False oil pressure readings due to bad oil pressure sensor or screen below it
c) TSB to address oil consumption
AFM oil shield TSB

4. Since you have seen sludge in the filter, there is a likelihood cylinder #1 or #7 has excess blow by and the oil filter does not have enough capacity to go the full OCI per the basic OLM used in 2009. The TSB should address this for certain engines.

5. Pulling a valve cover would confirm the presence of sludge and help you make a cleanup strategy.

Good luck.

Same issue happened to a friend's '13 Avalanche with 58K miles. We pulled the screen under the sender (was clean), installed mechanical gauge and went for a drive. Oil pressure would start off around 40 and would gradually drop after a few minutes until we had none. Changed the WIX 57060 for a new one and replaced the M1 5W30 (6K miles) with fresh M1 5W30. Further testing with mechanical and stock gauges now show a rock solid 42 psi.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
That’s interesting … on/off the fence myself on this subject …
This morning I was advising my wife to take it slow a few blocks in the Tahoe as I prefer using the XG10575 while I followed along with “pings” coming in. I have 6 PF63e’s and 7 XG10575’s ... one M1 and one Wix and none are the “ideal” filter …

That the same exact filter my wife's 3.6 V6 Chev Impala takes. Seems odd, to me, anyways, that it is also the recommended filter for a 5.3 V8?

Last edited:

That's a pretty stupid design! Wonder why they ever got away from the old flange/gasket setup on the oil pump & pickup? Having an oring like that is a certain failure, which could theoretically lead to spun rod bearings and block "ventilation"!

That is a very interesting way to try and diagnose that issue. This is the first time i had hear that one. My engines symptoms matched a tsb i had found to a t so i just got to working changing it and luckily it worked.

Mine has to be all digital as even this display is LED:

I haven't even sat in a new GM lately, others yes. Is it tracking actual oil pressure, though? The late 1990s GMs definitely were, while Ford wasn't.

Originally Posted By: roygage

Big Jake. As I earlier stated another tech mentioned a good way to determine if the 0ring was an issue was to overfill the oil by three quarts to cover the o-ring thereby sealing the air leak.

Now what if? What if on both trucks I worked on the problem was really the 0-ring leaking. And what if when i changed the oil the solution was not the new filter but getting enough oil back into it that the 0-ring was covered back up? What if on both trucks the oil was simply down a little?

My understanding is the 0-ring is not covered with oil when the oil is at the full mark but needs to be overfilled, by three quarts, to cover it up. But, the solution fits the circumstances so well it does makes you wonder.

The Pick-Up O-ring is well above the Windage Tray.....Correct oil level is always below the windage tray.

Bh6lOoz.jpg

Last edited:
It’s a digital gauge transformed into analog “graphics” … oil pressure, fuel, temperature, charging
The tach and speedo have real needles …

My 2015 Explorer Sport was a mix of these as well …
On the GM you scroll on the steering wheel and can see Oil life graphics, individual tire pressure … all kind of trip stuff … I use one screen to go as fast as I can on 4 cylinders …

Never mind that pickup … tell us about the old one with the hood up.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Never mind that pickup … tell us about the old one with the hood up.
wink.gif

1950 Chevy Panel that used to be a Singer Sewing Machine service truck. The body is left the way it was when it was pulled out of a pasture.

LQ4 6.0L backed by a 4L65E out of a 2006 Yukon Denali.
Mustang II front suspension.
Ford 8.8" diff with 3.73's.
Front & rear A/C

Originally Posted By: Garak
Incidentally, is GM still using real oil pressure gauges, or have they switched to dummies? It's been a lot of years for me with a new GM....

My Corvette uses a real gauge, as it will tell you the exact pressure in a digital readout (along with all Corvettes since 1997 for sure, and possibly earlier)

Back