Regular Redline Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty UOA's over in that subject area ...

Many on here are beating their engines pretty hard (track days) and getting 5,000 OCI's
smile.gif

I have done 3 uoa's over 5 years, at one year 5k miles the tbn was over 6 changed oil prior to sending sample, at 2 years 10k miles the tbn was over 3, and I didn't bother to get tbn on third or anymore uoa's as I have set my oci. I decided with a 7500 1.5 year oci to be extra safe, the truck doesn't get used that much. The wear numbers are junk, it is a ticking hemi. or should I say was a ticking hemi, redline killed hemi tick.

The wear numbers have steadily went down, especially the copper even though a 2 year interval and the last uoa I didn't touch the crankcase, the previous uoa I changed the filter 1/2 way through and cut it open. I use RP filters and also cut it open after the 2 year oci, was still like new. So the previous uoa got a top off qrt, and the last uoa still beat it by about 30% in wear numbers. Not fair to judge redline or any oil in a hemi. There is some thought esters pull out ions and that adds to wear numbers, I don't really care about that, what I care about is not having hemi tick, and redline was the cure for me. Assuming the clone oils or if redline is the clone, all the formulas would produce similar results. We have done a lot of uoa's over there as well, there was one oil that stood out as having the lowest wear numbers and that was PUP. I do think there is a difference between wear numbers and what is best to protect sliding metal pieces, but your opinion may differ.

All documented on Ramforum, Burla over there as well.

Mind blowing oil filter thread below, if you want a long oil change interval, you would have to be daft to not use a spun microglass filter. Royal Purple filtered best in this test, and that is what I'n gonna use forever, as I bought enough of them to last 20 years.
oil filter test

Here is the test, they put a patch behind the media of every oil filter, so what gets through shows how well or not well the media is filtering. I believe they heated it up to operating and put it under pressure, just like how an engine operates. This was the patch they put behind the RP filter. at 30 microns, nearly nothing gets through. Spunmicroglass flows better, filters more, and even after two years filters like new. You need to match that long oci you seek with the right filtration. Fram Ultra is golden as well, with price as a consideration Ultra was the winner of the test.

301218_30um_small.jpg

versus a paper filter like motorcraft.

fl12a_30um_small.jpg

Last edited:
Was the Royal Purple filter cheaper than the (winner) Fram Ultra?
That tells me I made the right move, stopping use of the Ultra, for being too restrictive. Our engines can show black filtering like that Motorcraft media-backing filter you displayed, and still reach 300K easily.

One doesn't need to filter everything, to achieve 300K. We can reach 300K using a Fram Extra Guard, when changed as-needed.

Last edited:
The GMC Truck Central "patch test" comparison oft discussed on the OF board since it's release. Bottom line, the GMC basement patch test has been shown to be unreliable. Filters with the EXACT same media like Wix/Napa Gold and Fram Extra Guard(orange can) and High Mileage showed very different patch test results. Also filters rated more efficient in industry standard ISO 4548-12 testing showed worse results than lower rated filters, eg. Purolator Pure One versus Classic. Doesn't mean synthetic filters like Amsoil, RP and Fram Ultra aren't solid extended oci filters, just that the GMC patch test comparison doesn't 'prove' them better than other filters. Best thing about the filter comparison imo, the dissection pictures.

No experience with RL so can't comment on it.

Have you ever cut open a paper filter on a long oci? Well I do everytime, paper filters are blown at 3 month mark. Meaning it doesn't filter anything this side of a pebble, so at that point you are right it is less restrictive. The spun microglass does not effect flow as much as design. The puro synthetic brought back a tick on my truck, but the RP cured that. The only thing I did at that time was change the filter. RP media is thick and loose, and they have many holes. You keep on rocking that paper dude, no sweat on me. Of note, the puro paper filter did not make my truck knock like the pruo synthetic filter did, but the puro yellow media was stiffer then cardboard and had blown a hole you guessed it the size of a pebble. I've put in the work myself, have you?

RP 2 year interval was like new, soft and pliable. Again, just helping out the OP with work I have put in, gl whatever you chose.

16618148574_b2909b4126_z.jpg

17054784306_84a605f2be_z.jpg

40597516732_bb0c77516c_z.jpg

12109332756_f1ca1f21f5_z.jpg

Last edited:
I've cut open and posted many cellulous, cellulose/synthetic blend (eg. Bosch Distance Plus) and synthetic filter like the Fram Ultra since joining, the latter two with extended/multiple ocis. Obviously you don't frequent the oil filter board.

You missed the point of the last post completely. Never said the RP wasn't a solid filter or not suitable for extended ocis. I said the GMC Truck central 'patch comparison' is not a reliable 'test' and doesn't prove what it purports to prove and gave evidence to back that up. Plain and simple as that.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
1) What is you avg OCI?

2) Are you happy w/you UOA's?

thx

When I ran Redline in my Camaro, I did 8000 mile OCI's, including track days. Never a problem with running out of TBN. But be prepared to get alarms from the lab if you have an analysis done; Redline has a very high Oxidation number when it is virgin.

You said in your opinion it isn't legit because some filters were the same, but different result. But the top two were the same as well RP and Amsoil are clones, and pretty close result. You assume testing paper filters that are the "same" should produce the same result. Not really the case, paper pump is different from filter to filter. Anyhow, back to scheduled programming.

Magnified paper pulp versus spun microglass pulp-

better_Oil_Filter_1.jpg

Better_Oil_Filter_2.jpg

Somehow the tests reliability goes on the uniform result on paper?

Using your logic and inputting media instead of brand. hmm

Top 3 spots all went to spun microglass
4 spot went to combo spun micro glass and paper
all the paper filters tested below top 4, wouldn't that hint at uniformity?

Quote:
You said in your opinion...

Nope, never said imo in either post. I said the patch comparison is "not reliable" and gave specific examples and reasons why it's not. And not the only one on the OF board that reached the same conclusion for the same reasons.

Because two filters just happen to show similar patch results (Ams-RP) doesn't change or negate the results of the listed ones EXACTLY the same media that don't. Also doesn't explain the ISO 4548-12 industry standard test discrepancies listed either.

IMO (now), lots of confirmation bias in the basement GMC patch comparison results.

I keep an open mind, can you point me and/or the OP to a filter test that tests filters in some type of way as the patch test. I also use machinelube.com that also points out the benefits of synthetic versus cellulose, but I read all white paper I can if you know of any. thanks

Back when I had my 2002 Tacoma with a TRD Supercharger at 7psi I ran Redline exclusively. 12,000-14,000 miles was my OCI. At the time on Purolator Pure 1 filters as it was the doll filter of the day here (back before I was a posting member). Always reserve TBN left even at 14,000. I'll see if I can dig up a UOA if anyone cares.

The OP asked for my interval, which includes 2 runs of 2 years with uoa's. Just say'n that type of interval would require synthetic media filtration, in case he would benefit from that info. Doesn't surprise me the person that was discussing this has no other studies to show, I guess the OP will have to make up his own mind. Redline doesn't seam to be bothered by time but rather miles. it is what you would expect from synthetic oil.

My point was a small point to be made, but a couple guys challenged the info so I was obliged to at least make a case for synthetic filtration. my apologies, back to redline talk. check your pm op I will find those old uoa's.

If the fella that suggested something about the early uoa's showing oxidation, if he could expand on that I feel that would be good info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
1) What is you avg OCI?

2) Are you happy w/you UOA's?

thx

Member OneEyeJack does 10k changes on his 4Runner with 0w30 and his UOAs are very good.

Originally Posted By: burla
Of note, the puro paper filter did not make my truck knock like the pruo synthetic filter did, but the puro yellow media was stiffer then cardboard and had blown a hole you guessed it the size of a pebble. I've put in the work myself, have you?

This is no revelation. Take a look at the oil filter subforum, as sayjac suggests, and you'll see filters taken apart, many many filters, and a huge, years long debate and filter picture festival about Purolator tears.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Back when I had my 2002 Tacoma with a TRD Supercharger at 7psi I ran Redline exclusively. 12,000-14,000 miles was my OCI. At the time on Purolator Pure 1 filters as it was the doll filter of the day here (back before I was a posting member). Always reserve TBN left even at 14,000. I'll see if I can dig up a UOA if anyone cares.

I don't have any of the UOA to share going out to 14,000 miles as I was submitting them to Detroit Diesel free through an employer at the time and no longer have access to the database. Beyond 12,000 miles out to 14,000 miles the TBN got a little boost from a 7,000 mile filter change and top off. If my memory serves I had about 1.5-2.0 TBN remaining at 14-15k with a .5 Quart top off at 7,000 miles. Here's a string of UOA leading up to my 14-15k OCI. All oils on this UOA are Redline oils.

Enjoy

Reactions: a5m
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back