Best rear view mirror adhesive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to be having problems finding a good rear view mirror adhesive. I installed a rear mirror in a car I had and it held up fine, so I don't think it's a problem with my method of installation. In fact, I did it without removing the old dried on glue that was on the windshield and it held on great which goes against the instructions saying to remove all traces of the old glue.

I bought a cheap kind at Big Lots ($1 [censored] package) and it had almost no glue!

So then I went to Advance (I was picking up an order) I think it was and got a $6 kit that had the wipe and the vial of glue. I cleaned off the glass and the metal button from the failed install with the Big Lots kit. I installed the metal button with the new kit and let it stay a day or two so it could cure, then installed the mirror. That was probably 4-6 months ago.

A few days ago I bumped the movable part of the mirror fighting with the visor and it came off the windshield. I looked at the metal button and only a tiny bit wasn't covered in the glue. About 95% was. It was smooth as could be with no air bubbles in the area that has coverage, so it's obvious it was properly pressed against the glass. The glue just didn't stick well to the glass.

Is the glue I got in the kit just bad or what? Should I rough up the glass with some large grit sandpaper first so it'll have something to dig into? I'm thinking about just going to a glass shop and seeing what they'd charge to put the mirror on for me. Maybe they have better adhesive than what auto parts stores sell or know some trick to it.

If I don't get this licked, This is going to get annoying and expensive if I have to reattach the mirror every time I bump it. As many times as I bumped that one in the car I put up and it never came loose.. this seems ridiculous.

I'm debating just buying an old Jeep mirror or something similar that can be bolted to the overhead storage shelf (metal under vinyl) so I don't even have to mess with a glued on mirror.

The auto glass repair shops have the best glue for the mirror, down here in So Cal they charge $10 to glue the mirror to the glass.

Yeah, that's about what I figured they might charge and they'd have the best stuff. I'll have to stop by one next time I drive it to town.

I really do like having a rear view mirror even if it doesn't give the best view in my 20ft motorhome. But I can see out the back window SOME with it. It adds considerable view I don't otherwise have with just side mirrors. I can't see if anyone is behind me unless I lean far over and look at my side mirror, even with the round blind spot mirrors (big ones!) and add on towing mirrors.

It drove me crazy today not having one. Backing was especially bad the couple times I had to.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I've had good luck with 3M but I think also Permatex and Loctite repair kits. You want to scrape off all old glue on the widnsheild with a razor blade, and clean windsheildwith the cleaner provided. Also sand the metal mounting button with sand paper to remove all residue (don;t sand the windsheild). A good kit should contain sand paper. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/4202332

I did all that except sandpapering the button. Thing is, the glue stuck to the button fine. It's the windshield it didn't stay stuck to when it came off.

Sometimes it's best to pay the pros to do some repairs, especially when the cost of part is almost as much as the total charge from the shop.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Sometimes it's best to pay the pros to do some repairs, especially when the cost of part is almost as much as the total charge from the shop.

Yep.. seems so when it's apparently a 50/50 chance it'll work right. It worked awesome in the car I had but not in this van. My windshield could stand to be replaced but I'm gonna hold off on that for now. The chips/cracks are kinda bad but they don't interfere at all with seeing the road. The car's was far worse.

Did the mirror in the G6 with a LePage Quick Set 2-part epoxy. It had a nozzle that premixed the two parts before the tip. Worked excellent

I use 2 part epoxy (just the regular epoxy). Stick the mount where you want it and use masking tape to hold the it to the windshield. I let it set overnight. Never had one fall down using this method.

I used the Permatex kit that I bought at WalMart, which was pretty cheap. The trick was to take the metal button off, and glue it to the windshield, then tape the metal button to the windshield, and leave it that way, for a week before removing the tape and installing the mirror. Yes, I had another car to drive for that week.

The Permatex stuff is as good as a comsumer can get. Permatex's anaerobics(threadlocker, anaerobic gasket maker, press-fit compound and rear view mirror tab adhesive) are still made by Loctite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back