Who has a kickin' vehicle sound system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit that in the 70's and early 80's I had the aftermarket radio, amp, equalizer and tri axial speakers and such. But since then I have made due with a factory system.
Are you content with the factory or go crazy on vehicle audio?

Loved the Pioneer Super Tuner III units I had in the 80's.... throw some 6x9s in the back, and a little Ozzy/Priest/Maiden... you were golden.

Factory has always been good enough for me I only listen to news talk radio anyway. Still no shortage of $500.00 cars with 2K stereos that like to drive around blasting thumping bass at 10000000 decibals that rattles windows from 5 blocks away. So I guess for them factory is not good enough.

I'm fine with factory, although my last two vehicles were supposed to have upgraded systems. Guess they are nice enough.
My first car only had an AM radio with a tinny speaker, my second car had nothing as it came from Japan with no audio and the dealer wanted crazy money to install something. I told them to flake off and thought I would get something custom put in, but I never bothered in 7 years of owning the vehicle! The dealer already bent me over by charging $1200 for an AC in a car not much over $10k and I wasn't giving them one cent more.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have to admit that in the 70's and early 80's I had the aftermarket radio, amp, equalizer and tri axial speakers and such. But since then I have made due with a factory system.
Are you content with the factory or go crazy on vehicle audio?

I have had some pretty good bose systems in GM cars and trucks, but my sig car has a very rare factory installed Kicker 13 speaker system with a lil 10 inch sub in the trunk. It's far from the greatest ever, but it is pretty darned good!

Originally Posted By: mjk
Loved the Pioneer Super Tuner III units I had in the 80's.... throw some 6x9s in the back, and a little Ozzy/Priest/Maiden... you were golden.

Pioneer also had awesome surface mount tweeters and lil bitty equalizers that rocked pretty good for the day...

When I was young and single, yeah, a good sounding (and loud) system was important. But, I also had a 45 minute commute on back roads to get to work. Now, work is only 10 minutes away. I can't remember the last time I played a CD (or other DMA) in a car. I don't drive 90+ mph through the orange groves listening to Riding on the Wind at 200 watts anymore. Man, I miss those days!
laugh.gif

My Kawasaki Teryx has about $1800 stereo system. Eight 6X9 on the roof and two 10 inch subs under the seat. All bluetooth controlled. Worth every penny.

Sometimes I listen top the AM radio (WBZ 1030 ) at stop light s when I shut the car off.

Other wize I find the wave chopper in the radio pwr supply. screws up the ECU.

So radio off while driving.

The penalty of trying to get too many watts on a 12V system.

We have a 13 speaker Bose system in our new to us PathFinder.

I would say it is, "Kickin'."

The only thing I don't like are the 20" "Pimpin' " wheels.

The neighbors think I am Pimpin' for extra cash!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Stock system in the Escape - first car I've ever owned that didn't get an aftermarket head unit right away. Why? Well, it actually comes with Bluetooth, so no need. No, it's not the greatest, but it's good enough. Now, in the Suburban, I have plans to put a nice system in. Nothing crazy, but just something I can enjoy.

Having a good stereo is an absolute must-have in my cars. I can't stand listening to garbage factory systems; it totally ruins thelistening experience for me. All of my cars have upgraded stereos (except the wife's car, which has a pretty decent factory system). Nothing too crazy, just an aftermarket head unit, nice speakers, and a single 10" subwoofer. Another must-have is a USB input so I can plug in my iPod and control it from the head unit, as that is all I listen to. I also really like having Bluetooth. The head units I installed in my Bronco and CR-V have Bluetooth. If/when I upgrade the units in the Accord and Ranger again, they'll definitely get Bluetooth.

The Accord has a Sony head unit, Polk Audio 5" front speakers, Pioneer 6x9s in the rear, Sony 600W RMS mono subwoofer amp and an Alpine 10" DVC 500w sub in a sealed box

The Ranger has a Sony head unit, Hifonics 5 1/4" front speakers, Pioneer 5 1/4" rear speakers, Pioneer 2 channel amp bridged to 1 channel, powering a Pioneer shallow-mount sub mounted in a tiny sealed box (more than enough for the truck's small cab, and space efficiency is a must in there.)

The Bronco has a JVC head unit with Polk Audio speakers (6.5" front, 5x7" rear). No amp or sub yet, but it will eventually.

The CR-V has a Pioneer head unit, and I'll be replacing the god-awful factory speakers hopefully in the next month or so. I have my eye on Polk Audio component speakers for the front, and Polk coaxials for the rear. I won't bother with a sub in this one, as I need the cargo room and this is just my winter beater.

I have a factory 19 speaker, 900 watt stereo in my Jeep. Love it! Max volume is ridiculously loud with zero distortion.

The Prius I currently have does have a pretty good factory JBL sound system. The Mark Levinson system in the parent's Lexus is probably the best OEM sound system.

When I did radio upgrades, my first pick is Pioneer. Alpine or Kenwood would be my next picks. I did a mild upgrade in a friend's van reusing his Kenwood deck, a self-contained "sub" and new speakers - I think they were Polk or Boston. I've gave my old Pioneer DEH-P8400 to another friend, in this day and age of in-car infotainment and how new car can't easily be upgraded aftermarket audio is starting to be a dying breed.

Decades back, it was next to impossible to find a good sounding factory sound system, so you pretty much had not choice but to go aftermarket if you valued nice sound. These days, most car manufacturers seem to have caught up and offer premium sound options while retaining the OEM look and full integration with the car's multimedia interface. I'm sure you can still improve on the sound, but for me, it's good enough.

Next car I buy, I am hoping I will enjoy listening to the engine sound more than to the audio system anyway.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I have a factory 19 speaker, 900 watt stereo in my Jeep. Love it! Max volume is ridiculously loud with zero distortion.

19 speakers?.... Wow

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Factory has always been good enough for me I only listen to news talk radio anyway. Still no shortage of $500.00 cars with 2K stereos that like to drive around blasting thumping bass at 10000000 decibals that rattles windows from 5 blocks away. So I guess for them factory is not good enough.

There was an interesting segment on the local news about a car audio club in the area several years ago...lots of crummy cars with mega audio systems that couldn't even be played at full volume with somebody in the car.
The reporter finally asked one of them the obvious question, "WHY do you do this??"
His answer really got my blood boiling..."I want EVERYBODY to hear MY music."
Hey buddy, "I want to PUNCH you in YOUR face."
;^)

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
My Kawasaki Teryx has about $1800 stereo system. Eight 6X9 on the roof and two 10 inch subs under the seat. All bluetooth controlled. Worth every penny.

Why? Your going to scare all the squirrels away when out enjoying nature.

Stock radios are fine for me. What bugs me is a Booming radio when I am at the gas station. If I wanted to hear booming rap I would listen to it in my car.

I used to have a good one 7 years ago. I sold my car before I came to Canada.

And no, you don't need 1233451245123412 speakers to have good sound system. You only need "2" on the front, preferably one for each side.

It's 2010 MY Renault Megane Coupe 1.5 DCI. I bought it brand new and put 60k miles before selling it. It was a great car for a student. It looks good, it is good on gas (60+ MPG), and the handling was great.

Sorry for [censored] photos, those are from 2011.

It was stock except KW lowering springs.
296n69z.jpg

28ic4s0.jpg

This is how stock interior looks like
2uxvlo3.jpg

Focal KRX-3
149t3lc.jpg

I know the media player looks ugly, but there was no "infotainment" systems back in 2010. I had no option.
sgs4lw.jpg

28v629x.jpg

Audison LRX 4.1
23m7hxg.jpg

Audison Bitone processor
z8y9t.jpg

Focal SB25 Subwoofer x 2
rszw9d.jpg

Probably I am getting old, I don't have time & money & energy to build an aftermarket sound system anymore.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

There was an interesting segment on the local news about a car audio club in the area several years ago...lots of crummy cars with mega audio systems that couldn't even be played at full volume with somebody in the car.
The reporter finally asked one of them the obvious question, "WHY do you do this??"
His answer really got my blood boiling..."I want EVERYBODY to hear MY music."
Hey buddy, "I want to PUNCH you in YOUR face."
;^)

thumbsup2.gif

For sure. I have my own CD's and that is the music I want to listen to, not yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back