Painting an Older Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the wife's car is approaching the end of the road but she refuses to buy a new one. She absolutely loves her Hyundai as it's been a wonderful city car and has gotten her from college through graduate school, and in August she'll begin prescribing medicine. Only is at about 55K with new headlights I put in, replaced all the pans, new tires, belts, etc means it's been a rock solid performer. While I tend to think a new car is in order I was also thinking of surprising her with a new paint job that will get through another year or two. Nothing wild, basic, but a refresh of a car that is now just about 15 years old.

I'm not looking to do this myself given time constraints, and sent a polite note to MAACO to see what they can do, but thought I would run this by the forum to gauge everyones experience with painting an older car with a refresh. May or may not go through with it but I am leaning towards surprising her for the spring. I appreciate the feedback and advice!

Last edited:
Would a nice professional detail be in order for her car or does it really need paint? Because the cost of painting alone could exceed the value of the car. And then, you'll still have other money to spend on upcoming repairs as well. Use caution!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Would a nice professional detail be in order for her car or does it really need paint? Because the cost of painting alone could exceed the value of the car. And then, you'll still have other money to spend on upcoming repairs as well. Use caution!

Good question. I think it does need the paint as though the body is in fairly good shape overall but has endured about 15 years worth of nicks, minor scratches from branches, squirrels, and the like. It's worn enough and been through enough winters but interestingly I've been able to protect it from too much rusting out that one would expect in New England. Obviously not new or even 5-10 years old but not anywhere near the worst I've seen.

Money is less of an issue on this question as I wouldn't expect to throw down too much (basic, one coat I would think?) - though the age of the car enters the calculus as worth it or not. There's some sentimentality at play that is hard to fight off with logic!

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
So what color? Metallic or mono? What shape is the paint in really? Just chalky, or actually down to the primer?

Picture would help.

Any rust issues?

Thanks for the questions. Will see what I can do with the pictures. Is Stormy Gray Metallic (WS) paint. Not down to primer, basically just 15 years worth of use and minor nicks, scratches, small animal claws, etc. What prompted this thought was a branch that scratched the hood during one of those nor'Easters and it's not something I can just touch up. Not nearly as bad rusting as I've seen around here either, so I do think worth doing with maybe a basic job.

Originally Posted By: Trav
A MAACO cheap single stage paint job will last 2 years.

Thank you. This was my initial thought. I considered exploring this option first and will hear back from them, but any ideas on cost?

500-700, the advertise $499 but there is always a door ding or other spot that needs a little attention. That is lass than the cost of really good paint and clear alone so if all you want is a couple of years its a deal.

An older painter that late in career owned a local MAACO, shot single stage urethane on a very large old Buick Electra for me. It's been fine since done about 15 years ago for $800. There's inflation from then, but yours probably will take half the paint. Good luck.

I use to paint the junker I drove (1969 Rambler) with a paint brush.
I painted the car and drove to my Brothers house, his friend said "the car looks good",
I had to tell him, "don't lean on it, the paint may still be wet".
Total cost $10.00

For me it was good enough. I'm thinking you may want better.

My Father painted a junker my Mother drove.
He used a Roller and the fuzz stuck to the paint.

Again, you may want better.

Last edited:
The reason I asked was that you can get Interlux marine two-part polyurethane in mono colors all day long for $70/qt with the hardners. I cut with acetone and wear a remote air supply mask, and they come out very nice.

The metallic gray is the hard part. Shooting a two-part is not that tough. Just takes a wee bit of practice and decent gun well adjusted.

Originally Posted By: Trav
A MAACO cheap single stage paint job will last 2 years.

If even that long! The marine paint mentioned above will last longer. I have use Rustoleum marine paint mixed with hardener and gotten better long term results than a MAACO job. Do not use regular Rustoleum to paint a car, it has no UV protection and will fade.

What, if any, anti-rust treatment have you applied to it?

And have you touched up the various scratches you describe to stop them rusting?

Strikes me that would be more worthwhile, and is easily within DIY scope without special equipment or skills.

While not pretending to understand women, from your description, your wife is emotionally invested in the car as-is, warts and all.

Prolonging its life MIGHT please her more than slapping some cheap makeup on it.

Or just repaint the hood and detail the rest of the car. My car endures New England weather and is stored outside. 17 year old paint and it still shines nicely. Nothing to do but frequent washings and wax 2X per year. I'm sure a pro-detail would really wake it up. But, I'm happy with 90% of the shine. I'd buy another well-maintained car with nice paint before repainting an older one.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
So what color? Metallic or mono? What shape is the paint in really? Just chalky, or actually down to the primer?

Picture would help.

Any rust issues?

Should be easier / cheaper fo go back with the same color . Hey , she is used to it , too .

Originally Posted By: Ducked
What, if any, anti-rust treatment have you applied to it?
And have you touched up the various scratches you describe to stop them rusting?
Strikes me that would be more worthwhile, and is easily within DIY scope without special equipment or skills.
While not pretending to understand women, from your description, your wife is emotionally invested in the car as-is, warts and all.
Prolonging its life MIGHT please her more than slapping some cheap makeup on it.

The OPer's experience may be completely different from mine, but I am having terrible results touching up the metallic grey paint on my car. My previous car was more of a standard dark blue and touched up well enough to make me happy, but I even bought the OEM paint touchup kit for my present metallic car and I almost wish I just left the scratches alone. May be something to do with a two step painting process (as mentioned above) not really being duplicated by a little shake and slather bottle.
I'm sure the scratched areas on my car are protected, but I'm not happy with the look at all!!

Find the professional automotive paint stores in your area. Walk in, or call them. They probably know a guy who does good work in a home booth, or professional painter that also does it on the side.

A real paint job is $5K or more.
Yes, a Maaco type scuff and spray should be under a grand based on your description.
The result will be far worse than the original paint.

I have used Maaco level for a paint job on an older Civic that got a nasty scratch.
It was OK.
Go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back