Strut Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone!

I haven't ever messed with suspension components, but the time has come to replace the struts on my 2005 Impala. The thing just rides horribly now. I'm replacing the struts and the strut mounts, but I have a question regarding the strut mounts. I can get the front strut mounts with the bearing installed, but the rear mounts aren't offered with bearings. Are bearing required in the rear struts? Sorry if this is a stupid question, this is a whole new world for me.

Thanks!

No, they're not needed in the rear. They're in the front because the strut assembly is fixed to the knuckle, which turns with the wheel.

hey JustN89.. Nope, the rears don't need bearings. Why? Because the struts don't move from left to right. The front struts do move from left to right, because they steer the car. Yup the struts move with the knuckle when you turn left/right.. So that's why they need a bearing in the front. I doubt you'd ever find a front strut mount for your car that would not have a bearing, that's the design of your suspension.

lol Kestas beat me to it by 1 minute!!
thumbsup2.gif
04.gif

you're welcome JustN89.. and to make it easier for you to compress the spring to install it into the strut assembly. Check out autozone, they have a new spring comressor you can rent!
It's a one piece compressor.. you put the $$ down, then you get it back when you return it. too funny it got 1 star review because it was "too beefy" lol.. Um, that's what you want when compressing springs! Something that is strong and won't kill ya! too funny..

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-s...ssor/537058_0_0

Quick struts are awesome
smile.gif

Monroe and KYB both have a rebate of $100 when you buy four of them. It is valid until the end of the month
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Quick struts are awesome
smile.gif

Monroe and KYB both have a rebate of $100 when you buy four of them. It is valid until the end of the month
thumbsup2.gif

QuickStruts are a good choice for a DIYer working on an older car. After 13 yrs, his springs are probably not maintaining the correct ride height as well.

I used Sachs quick struts on the Volvo in my signature. Swapping was easy. 3 bolts on top and 2 on the knuckle. The front end actually sits up higher and the car sits level now.

Would have sucked using the original hardware as the bushing/ mount and bearing were toast. The bearings were actually quite noisy.

The Volvo struts I took off were made by Sachs so we'll see how these hold up.

Try to do more research on what you are about to replace it with. I went for KYB assembly instead of Honda genuine parts for my Odyssey. The clunking the noise I get from it is horrible. Now I need to keep driving with this noise until the next time they need replacing, god knows how long.

Thanks for advice everyone! I was trying to do it cheap (as we don't expect to keep the car for too much longer, but the price on the Monroe Quick Struts with their rebate was too good to pass up.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I used Sachs quick struts on the Volvo in my signature. Swapping was easy. 3 bolts on top and 2 on the knuckle. The front end actually sits up higher and the car sits level now.

Would have sucked using the original hardware as the bushing/ mount and bearing were toast. The bearings were actually quite noisy.

The Volvo struts I took off were made by Sachs so we'll see how these hold up.

hey Dlundblad! I put Sachs on my "project civic" car and it's going on 3 years now and no problems! I think you're going to get many years out of those. When I inspected them before installation they looked well-made, exactly like oem.. Not surprising they are OEM for Honda in europe!

Originally Posted By: newbe46
Try to do more research on what you are about to replace it with. I went for KYB assembly instead of Honda genuine parts for my Odyssey. The clunking the noise I get from it is horrible. Now I need to keep driving with this noise until the next time they need replacing, god knows how long.

yeah newbe46.. I feel sorry for ya
frown.gif
I was going to put KYB on my project civic car yes the struts/shocks were leaking in their box! Hadn't even installed them! People keep saying KYB but they must've gotten lucky. I tried 8 of them all leaking, no thanks.. NEXT!

The other one to stay away from is MOOG quick strut (or whatever they call it). That piece of junk died (riding on bump stops) only 6 months after it was installed! Had to go through winter with that.. this is for anyone else reading this in the future!

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Thanks for advice everyone! I was trying to do it cheap (as we don't expect to keep the car for too much longer, but the price on the Monroe Quick Struts with their rebate was too good to pass up.

Hey you should've said you weren't expecting to keep the car! Hope the Monroes do work out for ya, mixed results lately.. some say they don't last, some say they give a mushy ride.. but price/benefit for ya, sounds like it will help ya til ya sell the car..

Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't mention it simply because I don't know exactly how much longer we will keep it. It could be a year, it could be a couple of years. Hopefully the Monroes will work well for us. With the rebate and RockAuto discount, I'll have gotten all 4 for $285 shipped.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Quick struts are awesome
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

QuickStruts are a good choice for a DIYer working on an older car. After 13 yrs, his springs are probably not maintaining the correct ride height as well.

Unless the car has been operated with worn-out struts for an extended period of time or he has been carrying heavy loads, ride height is usually not an issue. Quick Struts (from any mfg) are built using generic hardware and use a lot of universal parts in order to maximize vehicle coverage while minimizing inventory. You will find that some vehicles have ride height issues after installing Quick Struts.

I would avoid Quick Struts as much as possible unless you truly have no other options.

Update:

So I bought the Monroe QuickStruts from Rock Auto for $285 after mail-in rebate and I've had them installed for a week and a half now. Initial thoughts are that the car obviously rides much, much better. The original struts were shot on the car when we bought it so I don't have any real comparison, but for the price I paid I feel like the Monroes handle just fine. There's been a few occasions where I felt like it was a little soft/mushy, but overall I would recommend these struts and the Impala isn't exactly a small car.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back