'16 Camaro 2.0L Turbo AC DELCO 5W30 full syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
You buy the gold bottle Edge, you wind up with 4.4 litres up here.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
For the extreme cold in the winter, you could use any 0w40 you see (all brands are good in the 0w40 arena). Plus, when you change the oil with the thick (hot) 0w40, leave it a half-quart low on purpose, like half-way between the Add and Full lines, and put in a pint (half-liter) of Kreen, Seafoam, or Gumout Multi-System in the oil to assist in the extreme cold startups. It will gradually burn off, as designed, and will temporarily get you through the cold months as you add it. (Then stop putting it in when the temperatures gets above about -15 degC or so when its not needed.) Never over-fill, but you can keep the level at the full line during the cold months using the thinner fluids.

I wouldn't use any oil additive for a newer car that is still under warranty. Any 0w oil will be fine without thinning it out more with other additives. If a 0w cant keep up (it can) then plug in the block heater.

And yes OP, 0w40 is perfectly fine to run year round in most climates.

I'm assuming it's because he's gone modified.

I suggested Edge 0/40, because the Euro 0/40s are fantastic, stout oils, meant and certified for some of the most grueling turbocharged, DI, high specific output engines.

If there's a better application for Euro, dunno what it is.

Originally Posted By: Roland1
What a reception! Thanks for the input everyone!
Yes the infamous LSPI issue...I've read that the knock sensors can't pick up LSPI. oddly enough a few months ago I data logged KR at part throttle. Wonder if that was a form of LSPI? Who knows. Having said that...

I do want to stay away from high calcium oils. What contradicts me is that there's DEXOS1 GEN 2 oils with high calcium. Like Castrol edge extended performance 5w30. Which was recently on sale for 50% off!!! (Got 3 4.4L jugs for the GF's Suzie XL7).

From what little I know, I think the knock sensors would likely respond to an LSPI event, but the knock control scheme would not do anything that would actually affect future LSPI events. I guess it's possible that the vibrations from LSPI might end up being filtered out, the knock control scheme that I helped design a part for some time ago had some pretty complicated time windowing and frequency discrimination functions.
I haven't seen any VOAs of d1G2 oils that showed high calcium yet, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The analyses for the latest QSUD and PP 5W30s looked a lot like M1 5W30 has for the past several years, low calcium with a dose of magnesium...don't think I've seen Edge recently, curious to see some numbers for it.
Enjoy your ride!

I decided not to buy any of the Castrol edge oil this week. As I have two more oil changes worth of RT6. However I don't think I'll be using the CK4 RT6 Formulation moving forward. I have the CJ4 formulation currently. Which seems to have a stronger add pack.

Pondering Amsoil XL or SS since they've tested all of their lines in LSPI tests and apparently got better results than necessary.

My decision to go with xW40...honestly my UOA of 5w30 turned out well. I just think the xW40 will be a little more protective with turbo heat and not sheer down as much.

Like the rest of us I'll just keep pondering and researching. I

Excellent UOA for a mod'd LTG.

What are the mod results with respect to WHP/WTQ? These engines have a lot of potential with a few simple modes and tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back