counterfeit spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing replacement spark plugs for my Subaru and the cost gave me a mild case of sticker shock. It appears that NGK laser iridium are the same as Subaru OEM and can be purched for less than Subaru branded.

I found the NGK on a well known site that begins with "E" for a very attractive price, less than half the dealer cost. It wasn't clear to me if the seller was U.S. based or not.

The seller had excellent ratings and feedback, however, a common complaint on the negative feedback was "received counterfeit spark plugs" or words to that effect.

Are counterfeit spark plugs really prevalent out there? Would it be safer to pay a bit more at AZ or AAP? Is it safe to assume that if the price is too good to be true, it probably is?

Ebay direct from Asia at very low prices probably is a bit of a risk. Where are the real ones made? If its not China then I wouldn't bother investigating any more.

I recently replaced the plugs (and coil packs) on my daily driver.
Removed Denso TT (Twin Tip iridium) plugs and installed NGK Iridium that I bought off Amazon.
The plugs were about the going price (not some shocking cheap price) and so far all good.

I knew about many counterfeit oil filters (have seen Hyundai OEM counterfeits) but didn't know so much about the spark plugs. Good to know and will have to keep that in mind regards to plugs.

Wonder what it is with the counterfeit plugs - misfires, short plug life (ground electrode wears fast), burns cold/hot for plug number rating............

I admit I don't know anything about the counterfeit plug issue. But if you're concerned about seller rep check out the AAP price for NGK plugs. Spark plugs are one thing AAP codes are still useful for ime. For my applications NGK Laser Iridium less than RA and AZ after code applied.

Current online code HXKKBX gets 30% off online purchase for store pick up.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I admit I don't know much anything about the counterfeit plug issue. But if you're concerned about seller rep check out the AAP price for NGK plugs. Spark plugs are one thing AAP codes are still useful for ime. For my applications less than RA and AZ after code applied.

Current online code HXKKBX gets 30% off online purchase for store pick up.

+1, AAP was cheapest for me too, on many occasions for spark plugs.

I needed an o2 sensor for my neon, got the (bosch) part number from rockauto but found it cheaper on ebay than anywhere else.

Seller advertised it as "no box" but I bought it anyway and the sensor was engraved "Bosch." Didn't have a "real one" to compare it to. It worked, so, there's that. Shady? Who knows.

I would sincerely not think of buying those spark plugs. I think that if you really want to save money, go for Subaru OEC or original NGK's from a reputed store. I think it is cheaper to buy spark plugs than a new car.

So much of this stuff is "Made in China" as the OEM supplier to the name branded parts that it is crazy.

The same factory that makes the name branded parts lets cases of "blems" out on local auction. Those buyers resell as original parts.

Not really counterfeit, but more "gray market" ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Is Rock Auto an option?

Thanks for the Rock Auto suggestion. I think l will go that route. They have a great selection and competitive prices.

Originally Posted By: Joe1
I found the NGK on a well known site that begins with "E" for a very attractive price, less than half the dealer cost. It wasn't clear to me if the seller was U.S. based or not.

The seller had excellent ratings and feedback, however, a common complaint on the negative feedback was "received counterfeit spark plugs" or words to that effect.

Just out of curiosity, what was the dealer price, the Rock Auto Price, and cheap eBay price for these spark plugs?
I'm wondering exactly how much money are we talking about here.

NGK Laser Iridiums are VERY expensive (source: work at auto parts store) so if they are unbelievably cheap, that's not a good sign.

I was almost impossible to get real AC DELCO 20 year ago the market was so flooded with counterfeit. Even from Mom and pop "trusted" places. I got a "DELCO" V6 cap that the terminal fell out of and wiped out the rotor. Then I got a NAPA gold.

Buy from a reputable online or traditional retailer. Trying to save a few bucks on a counterfeit spark plug could cost you thousands when the plug falls apart and drops little metal bits in the combustion chamber. If it sounds too good to be true then... is my motto.

There was a recent thread where a guy got counterfeit NGKs. I had an Ebay (us seller) experience with Denso ( or Toyota packsged) being counterfeit. In a short order they went from 44 to 70 gap. Lost a coil to them.
Keep an eye out ar rock auto, they have clearance at times that make even better deals than counterfeit crude on Ebay.

Originally Posted By: Trav
NGK have reported counterfeiting of their plugs, buy from Rock, Amazon (not Amazon sellers), or local. Ebay can be risky.

Even Amazon could be bad. They had a habit of throwing in the parts from 3rd party sellers into the same bin if it was fulfilled by Amazon. So even if Amazon was the seller, they still got counterfeit parts. Not sure if they've fixed that, but that's why I'm more likely to trust Rockauto or one of the other parts stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back